Help Getting Started

Post by d.. » Wed, 22 Jul 1992 22:28:32

I have been reading (well, skimming really) this newsgroup for several weeks
now.  I have read the FAQ file, and several other documents I was able to
get my hands on.  I am planning on buying a new system sometime soon, and
am curious about a few things.

First, I have read that it takes anywhere from 150 to 200 megs of free disk
space to download and build X.  However, I have also read that Linux and
X can be up and running with about 40 megs of disk space.  Is is possible
to get X without having 150 megs of free disk space?  Are precompiled
binaries available?  If so, how do you go about applying patches?

I am planning on buying a 200 meg HD, but I would like to have an OS/2
partition as well as a Linux partition.  Will that be enough if I also want
to run X?

Also,  as a result of reading this newsgroup and the FAQ, I feel more
confused than when I started.  I know very little about UNIX in any form,
and even less about system administration, and the majority of the discussion
here seems to be targeted above my knowledge.  Does any one know of any good
references for system administration and the like?

If possible, please reply via e-mail, and I will post a summary.

Thanks

Drew Moseley

Help Getting Started

Post by d.. » Thu, 23 Jul 1992 22:09:53

> First, I have read that it takes anywhere from 150 to 200 megs of free disk
> space to download and build X.  However, I have also read that Linux and
> X can be up and running with about 40 megs of disk space.  Is is possible
> to get X without having 150 megs of free disk space?  Are precompiled
> binaries available?  If so, how do you go about applying patches?

> I am planning on buying a 200 meg HD, but I would like to have an OS/2
> partition as well as a Linux partition.  Will that be enough if I also want
> to run X?

> Also,  as a result of reading this newsgroup and the FAQ, I feel more
> confused than when I started.  I know very little about UNIX in any form,
> and even less about system administration, and the majority of the discussion
> here seems to be targeted above my knowledge.  Does any one know of any good
> references for system administration and the like?

Many thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.  The overwhelming opinion
is that a 200 meg HD will be plenty, as the binaries are available and require
much less than 150 megs.

Again, THANKS

Drew

1. Need help getting started

Hi,

I just decided a little while ago to put Linux on my system.  I've read
the first part of the Linux Installation How To, and I've got a boot
floppy and a root floppy.  My problem is I can't get the root floppy to
start up correctly.  I'm installing Slackware - I start up the boot
floppy, it looks ok.. my harddrive is detected fine - I'm using bare.i.
When it prompts me for the root disk, I put it in and hit enter and then
it prompts me for it again.. so I hit enter again and about 10-15 lines
of text come up and then I get some error like "kernel panic.. unable to
mount to (some address)" - oh and I'm trying to use color as my root.
I've never seen Linux installed, so I really don't know what is supposed
to happen, but I assume a kernel panic and a frozen computer is not
exactly right ;)  Anyone have any ideas what I should try to make it
work?  just so you know, I only know a little bit about unix - that's why
I'm installing linux - so I can learn.

Thanks in advance,
phlegm (:

2. JServ with Apache on Red Hat Linux 6

3. Brand New Newbie Needs Help Getting Started.

4. Just finished LinuxPPC install, now I can't login!

5. Help getting started

6. configuration of AfterStep wm ?

7. Help Getting Started

8. TrueType Paranoia

9. Need help getting started!

10. Help getting started with Linux.

11. The old "#!/long-name" header again (was: Help getting started in TCL/TK please)

12. I need some help getting started

13. Help: Getting start with Sever-client programming