What do I do with ``core'' files?

Post by Genes » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:19:47

Hey,
   Every once in a while, I will find a ``core'' file.
I am aware what they are, they are a dumped core, hens ``core dump''.
My question is, what do I do with them aside from rm'ing them?
I once heard that they get interpreted by the app that dumped them.
I also found out that they are not text, as more'ing one screwed up my
shell :-)

Thanks,
        Genesis

What do I do with ``core'' files?

Post by ?ystein Skadse » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:55:16

> Hey,
>    Every once in a while, I will find a ``core'' file.
> I am aware what they are, they are a dumped core, hens ``core dump''.
> My question is, what do I do with them aside from rm'ing them?
> I once heard that they get interpreted by the app that dumped them.
> I also found out that they are not text, as more'ing one screwed up my
> shell :-)

Well, if you're interested in finding out what program dumped its core,
do a "file core"

--
?ystein Skadsem

What do I do with ``core'' files?

Post by Joseph Dal » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:11:38

> > Hey,
> >    Every once in a while, I will find a ``core'' file.
> > I am aware what they are, they are a dumped core, hens ``core dump''.
> > My question is, what do I do with them aside from rm'ing them?
> > I once heard that they get interpreted by the app that dumped them.
> > I also found out that they are not text, as more'ing one screwed up my
> > shell :-)

> Well, if you're interested in finding out what program dumped its core,
> do a "file core"

Then type 'gdb <program-name> core' to debug the program. (Get the
source first, of course.)

What do I do with ``core'' files?

Post by Genes » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:18:50

>> > Hey,
>> >    Every once in a while, I will find a ``core'' file.
>> > I am aware what they are, they are a dumped core, hens ``core dump''.
>> > My question is, what do I do with them aside from rm'ing them?
>> > I once heard that they get interpreted by the app that dumped them.
>> > I also found out that they are not text, as more'ing one screwed up my
>> > shell :-)

>> Well, if you're interested in finding out what program dumped its core,
>> do a "file core"

>Then type 'gdb <program-name> core' to debug the program. (Get the
>source first, of course.)

Ah, thanks :-)

-Genesis

1. Is e2label 'dangerous' when done on a 'live' file system?

tune2fs's man page includes a warning:

WARNING
       Never  use  tune2fs  to  change parameters of a read/write
       mounted filesystem!  Use this utility at  your  own  risk.
       You're modifying a filesystem!

*I* understand this warning, since many of the things tune2fs can do to
a file system will likely cause kernel confusion if done to a
read/write mounted file system.  *One* of the things tune2fs is set the
file system's label, which can also be done with e2label.  e2label does
not include the WARNING.  I have a batch of file systems on two SCSI
disk that I want to set labels on and want to know if I need to boot up
a rescue disk or if I can just do this on a running system.  I would
think that e2label would NOT be dangerous on live mounted file systems,
but it is not clear.

(It would be easier & simplier to do it on a live system, since I would
have a set of 'nice' tools to automate the process.)

2. Problem: hang up after CDE login ???

3. DOS can't delete files cp'ed to /dosc !?!

4. MITSUMI????

5. starting off a dos-smtp-''project''

6. Help! Losing my mouse! (Mandrake 6.02)

7. dos won't recognize my extended dos partition

8. LinuxThreads and CPU usage

9. Newbie: What's done by 'alog' ?

10. hung after 'exit()' is called...what's it doing?

12. Doing 'stty erase ^H' on remote shells

13. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else