VLB IDE contr, VLB ET4000 and network on parrallel port

VLB IDE contr, VLB ET4000 and network on parrallel port

Post by Michael Cederbe » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 17:53:00

Hi There!

So I have just received my new system (WOW!), and now I have a couble of
questions:

1.  The system is equipped with a 32-bit local bus IDE HD controller. Is
    the Linux IDE device driver optimized for 32-bit datatransfers?

2.  There is also a local bus 32-bit ET4000/W32 video controller. Does the
    Xfree package have a driver specifically for this chipset and/or is
    there support for 64K and 16M colors?

2a. This is not realy a Linux specific question, but I'll sneak it in
    anyway. The monitor I'm using is an IBM 8515 (an XGA monitor), and
    the only modes it seems to respond to is 640x480 and 1024x768i. I
    have tried to change the parameters in Xconfig, but nothing works
    besides the two modes described above. Does anybody have specs on
    this monitor?

3.  Now I have an IBM PS/2 standing in the corner. Is there any way that
    will allow me to use it as a terminal on the parrallel port (all my
    serial ports are in use ...)?

Michael Cederberg

Post by Fachschaft E-Technik T » Tue, 31 Aug 1993 18:18:16

>Hi There!
>So I have just received my new system (WOW!), and now I have a couble of
>questions:
>1.  The system is equipped with a 32-bit local bus IDE HD controller. Is
>    the Linux IDE device driver optimized for 32-bit datatransfers?

I'm trying to work this out at the moment. 32-bit reads are ok, you get
about 12% performance gain (at least on my machine). 32 bit writes killed
my linux partition two times, but i'm not giving up yet. reducing the
I/O waits isn't a good idea...

8088 Eching a.A
Germany                         Linux -- the free 32-bit OS
++4981431480

1. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 386/40 machine to a 486DX2/66
machine and I need to buy a motherboard.  I have to have VL BUS since I
have a #9 VL BUS card coming. other than that I also wanted an EISA bus.
I'm finding it rather confusing and difficult to find true EISA/VESA
motherboards. most of what I find are "hybrid" boards that also have ISA
slots such as 3EISA/2ISA/2VL or such thing. and these tend to be
substantially less money than the true EISA/VL boards.

what I would like to know is what performance differences I'll see between
a true EISA board and one of these hybrid boards.  is the extra money for
the true EISA/VL board worth it?  will I run into difficulties or
incompatibiities with the hybrid boards that I wouldn't if I went with a
true EISA/VL board.  the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of breaking
down and buying one of the hybrid boards.

also some boards use 72 pin simms and some use 30 pin simms.  the 30 pin
simms are cheaper but again... is it worth the extra money to get 72 pin
simms and the motherboard that supports them?

please help clue me in on anything I don't know or may not have thought of.

oh it might also help to know that I plan on using the board to run the
Linux operating system if that makes a difference.

thanks for your time and advice I really appreciate it.

- Jeff

2. fwlogwatch...

3. Diamond Viper VLB -- PCI-VLB mixup????

4. Help!!!! Added second nic card, now neither works -- what do I check???

5. AIC-6360 s1392 VLB ???VLB SCSI

6. NIS configuration?

7. Which SCSI card: Qlogic VLB or Advansys VLB?

8. I am not a Wintroll!!!

9. VLB-EIDE: 2nd IDE port not found

10. Using X with an VLB ET4000/W32

11. *No* X3.2 with an VLB ET4000/W32 ??!!

12. X11 & Vlb Et4000 W32

13. Config for Diamond Stealth 32 VLB W/Tseng ET4000 Chipset???