rlogin, telnet reverse roach motel... I can get out but not in.

rlogin, telnet reverse roach motel... I can get out but not in.

Post by David Bentl » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 05:59:44

I am a relative Linux newbie, and I have a problem I hope this group
can help with.  I am running RedHat 7.1(i386), and I cannot seem to
rlogin nor telnet into this machine from other machines on our in
office network.  I have tried lokkit, editing the pam.d files and
every other trick I can find.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I
know there is a movement away from rsh, but it is the standard here.
I can rlogin to all the other machines on the network, but I can't get
back in.

Thanks in advance,

David

rlogin, telnet reverse roach motel... I can get out but not in.

Post by Hal Burgi » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:27:18

Quote:>I am a relative Linux newbie, and I have a problem I hope this group
>can help with.  I am running RedHat 7.1(i386), and I cannot seem to
>rlogin nor telnet into this machine from other machines on our in
>office network.  I have tried lokkit, editing the pam.d files and every
>other trick I can find.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I know
>there is a movement away from rsh, but it is the standard here. I can
>rlogin to all the other machines on the network, but I can't get back
>in.

You need to check the logs on both machines. This might give a hint. I
did have to tinker with pam.d/rsh as I recall.

Can we assume all the packages are installed and configured in xinetd?

--
Hal B

--

rlogin, telnet reverse roach motel... I can get out but not in.

Post by David Bentle » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 12:47:11

I am pretty sure that they are all installed.  I have checked the settings
in xinetd.  After talking to some folks at work, it seems that everyone has
been having this problem here since RedHat Version 6.2.  A computer running
Mandrake 8.0 has the same problem.  Was there a major change in how security
is handled when version 6.2 came out?

Post by Ben Whale » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 13:12:33

>I am a relative Linux newbie, and I have a problem I hope this group
>can help with.  I am running RedHat 7.1(i386), and I cannot seem to
>rlogin nor telnet into this machine from other machines on our in
>office network.  I have tried lokkit, editing the pam.d files and every
>other trick I can find.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I know
>there is a movement away from rsh, but it is the standard here. I can
>rlogin to all the other machines on the network, but I can't get back
>in.

This is something quite simple that you have probably already looked
at, but it can't hurt to suggest. Check your /etc/hosts.allow and
hosts.deny. Make sure that you have your LAN listed there or it won't
work! Also, you had better avoid rlogin, it's bad news. Avoid telnet
to for that matter. I like ssh.. just a though :)

--
Ben Whaley

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

Post by Hal Burgi » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 13:12:09

>I am pretty sure that they are all installed.  I have checked the settings

Pretty sure?

rsh-server-0.17-2.5
rsh-0.17-2.5

Quote:>in xinetd.  After talking to some folks at work, it seems that everyone has
>been having this problem here since RedHat Version 6.2.  A computer running
>Mandrake 8.0 has the same problem.  Was there a major change in how security
>is handled when version 6.2 came out?

Don't remember. That is ancient history. I have more than once had to
tweak PAM though.

Quote:>> You need to check the logs on both machines. This might give a hint. I
>> did have to tinker with pam.d/rsh as I recall.

So what do the logs say???????? That will probably point us in the right
direction.

Quote:>> Can we assume all the packages are installed and configured in

--
Hal B

--

rlogin, telnet reverse roach motel... I can get out but not in.

Post by David Bentle » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 06:44:56

I took the easy way out...  I installed Mandrake 8.0.  Works fine.
Thanks for the help.

> >I am a relative Linux newbie, and I have a problem I hope this group
> >can help with.  I am running RedHat 7.1(i386), and I cannot seem to
> >rlogin nor telnet into this machine from other machines on our in
> >office network.  I have tried lokkit, editing the pam.d files and every
> >other trick I can find.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I know
> >there is a movement away from rsh, but it is the standard here. I can
> >rlogin to all the other machines on the network, but I can't get back
> >in.

> This is something quite simple that you have probably already looked
> at, but it can't hurt to suggest. Check your /etc/hosts.allow and
> hosts.deny. Make sure that you have your LAN listed there or it won't
> work! Also, you had better avoid rlogin, it's bad news. Avoid telnet
> to for that matter. I like ssh.. just a though :)

> --
> Ben Whaley

> There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD.
> We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

1. More page outs than page ins?

Hi,

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me why systems usually have
more page-outs than page-ins? It has got me stumped for quite some
time. I would think that if 100mb is paged out from memory to disk,
then similarly 100mb should be paged-in back from disk to physical
memory?

Or is my understand of paging-in and paging-out wrong? i.e Page-outs
occur when a page is pushed from main memory to the paging space due
to a variety of reasons (lack of physical memory being one of them)
while page-ins' occur when there is free physical memory and these
pages are pushed back from disk back to the physical memory.

TIA!

2. How do i use NFS-root feature?

3. Unix Libraries Ins/Outs

4. PL/I to C

5. Problem in getting screen size when 'rlogin' and 'telnet'

6. PCI and IRQ sharing

7. Getting [l]rz/[l]sz to work over a telnet/rlogin session???

8. W98 can see samba share, but cannot see files

9. getting remote host ip from telnet and rlogin?

10. reverse-dns. telnet works, ftp does not

11. Delay on initial access server ftp, http and telnet, etc - NOT usual reverse dns problem

12. telnet, rlogin, ftp .. etc not working