New man in the Linux world has a partitioning problem: adding Linux as a fourth partition

New man in the Linux world has a partitioning problem: adding Linux as a fourth partition

Post by Valley Brothe » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:10:31

Installing the RedHat 7.2 on a Windows machine....
I tried to find a quick solution to it, scanning the news archives, but to
no avail.
My situation is pretty corny though:

/dev/hda1    laptop hibernation partition    1-2              16MB
/dev/hda2    primary dos                          3-263             2G
/dev/hda3    extended dos                        264-1793     12G
/dev/hda5    ntfs (logical drive)                  264-1793     12G
Free space                                               1793-2432     5G

Briefly, I have 2G primary and 12G extended Windows partitions. So now I'm
just adding Linux on the remaining 5G, and yet, while I know that I need to
create /root, /boot & swap, I can add only one partition. For what I
understood, one can create only 4 primary partitions on the PC architecture.
So what am I supposed to do now, reformat the entire disk? Also, I
absolutely wasn't able to apprehend the difference between Linux's primary
and logical partitions, I just know that I can't create any logical ones,
getting the "no free sectors" error. That is even before the next phase of
problems with booting from the 1024+ cylinder number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I looked in linuxdoc.org, but
couldn't find any answers there either.

New man in the Linux world has a partitioning problem: adding Linux as a fourth partition

Post by Valley Brothe » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 04:35:42

I left 5G off the Extended DOS on purpose for Linux. So now I had to extend
it with the Partition Magic back to 100% (12+5G=17G) and it worked. Linux
installer created three logical partitions "/boot", "/", & "swap" and I'm a
happy little boy now.

Thanks.

> > Installing the RedHat 7.2 on a Windows machine....
> > I tried to find a quick solution to it, scanning the news archives, but
> > no avail.
> > My situation is pretty corny though:

> > /dev/hda1    laptop hibernation partition    1-2              16MB
> > /dev/hda2    primary dos                          3-263             2G
> > /dev/hda3    extended dos                        264-1793     12G
> > /dev/hda5    ntfs (logical drive)                  264-1793     12G
> > Free space                                               1793-2432
5G

> > Briefly, I have 2G primary and 12G extended Windows partitions. So now
I'm
> > just adding Linux on the remaining 5G, and yet, while I know that I need
> > create /root, /boot & swap, I can add only one partition. For what I
> > understood, one can create only 4 primary partitions on the PC
architecture.
> > So what am I supposed to do now, reformat the entire disk? Also, I
> > absolutely wasn't able to apprehend the difference between Linux's
primary
> > and logical partitions, I just know that I can't create any logical
ones,
> > getting the "no free sectors" error. That is even before the next phase
of
> > problems with booting from the 1024+ cylinder number.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. I looked in linuxdoc.org, but
> > couldn't find any answers there either.

> actually, there are some good HOWTO's over
> at linuxdoc.org.  anyway ...

> you can only have four primaries ... the hibernation is one,
> the "primary dos" (as you say) is two, the extended counts
> as three, and when you add the next one, you've taken up
> the (max-avail) partitions.

> why dont you expand the extended partition (which, BTW,
> is *not* a dos thing) to consume the rest of the drive. then,
> create the logicals that you require for Linux - Linux does not
> require a primary partition to boot/exist on.

> so, you'd have:
> /dev/hda6 == /boot
> /dev/hda7 == /
> /dev/hda8 == /usr

> --
> +==================================
> | M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
> | Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
> | "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
> | Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
> +==================================

1. linux partition ran out of space, can I add FAT32 partition space to / ?

hi,
my linux partition recently ran out of space, i am wondering if i could make
on of my fat32 partition to be use as /, or /usr??
one other question, I have win98 and linux on my system, is there possibility
that linux would kill my extended FAT32 parition??  cuz when i got home, my
brother shutdown my linux and went into win98, then when i went back to linux,
my extend fat32 partition is gone.......all my back up!!
If this question has already been asked, can u just point me to the
information?  thank you

Kuma

my HD(17 gb) info as follow:
hda1  <-- FAT32 Primary partition (4gb)
hda2  <-- ex2 linux partition (1.1 gb)
hda3 <-- linux swap
hda4 <--FAT32 extend partition

    > hda5   these two are partition got lost.........which i dont even know
    > hda6    how......

2. Weird mail question

3. Four primary partitions (3 FAT32, 1 ext2fs) can't install RH62 without swap partition?

4. mod_timer fxi for sch_csz.c

5. Cannot add Linux partition afert NT partitioning

6. PBS -Frontline Blows open SCO - Knows what code their refering to...

7. add a small partition (fat) before my linux-partition (reiser)

8. Replace fragged inittab file

9. Partition problem - cannot add root partition

10. Adding a new partition to an existing Linux system

11. Problem with re-partitioning HD for DOS after having Linux on it

12. Adding new ext2 partitions on a LINUX/Win95 system