MPEG-1 video/audio encoder/decoder for Linux (command line, redhat) needed!

MPEG-1 video/audio encoder/decoder for Linux (command line, redhat) needed!

Post by Brown Jenk » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 02:04:39

Hello,

I need help finding a Linux console program to decode an MPEG-1 Video
file (with audio) and re-encode it at a different size and bitrate
back to MPEG-1.

Basically, I have a bunch of MPEG-1 video files sized at 640x480 that
I want to convert to 480x352 in MPEG-1 video and I want to do this
using a Perl script (backward ticks) so that it can be done whenever
new 640x480 MPEG-1 videos enter a particular directory.

The scripting part is easy, but finding a decoder/encoder has proven
to be a big challenge.

The only program I've successfully used is called ffmpeg and it does
what I want, but some of the options are confusing and emailing the
author didn't yeild a response.  I'm getting closer to a good finished
MPEG-1 at 480x352, but there's always a comprimise - either the
picture quality suffers or the motion suffers and I end up with a
'jumpy' picture.

I'm also looking for a decent MPEG-1 console controlled video (and
audio) player for Linux - currently everything I've tried will not
play audio.

Thanks in advance!
pc

1. Linux Console (command line) MPEG-1 encoder/decoder help!

[...]

2. RH 5.1 -> 5.2 ?

3. MPEG Audio encoder/decoder??

4. ... knock you out ...

5. Where to find MPEG-1 layer 1,2,3 audio encoder?

6. ppp support

7. EM840x REALmagic DVD/MPEG-2 Audio/Video Decoder

8. files in /var/log are swamping my hard drive!!!

9. Mpeg encoder/decoder in C/C++

10. video grabber/encoder/decoder hardware

11. GPL'ed Audio MPEG encoder?

12. MPEG [12] Layer 3 audio encoder

13. MPEG-I, Layer 2, audio decoders