Qic-80 Tape Drive, $160

Post by Todd Serulne » Thu, 24 Jun 1993 09:05:12

* In a message to All, Lawrence Foard said on 06-18-93 at 00:05 :

LF->>I second that; FWIW, the programs that I've seen for the CMS Jumbo
for
LF->>DOS Multitasking (read "Microsoft Windows") function by disabling
LF->>multitasking during tape read/writes. From what I've seen, Tape
software
LF->>for DOS is _extremely_ timing-critical; no problem on a
single-tasking
LF->>system, but big probs when you multitask. I expect the same would
LF->>carry over to other operating systems. (also FWIW, I have yet to
see one
LF->>for the CMS Jumbo that ran stably under OS/2 either...)

Ahem... nobody said the CMS driver/program had to run while the system
was
 multitasking.

Suppose someone wrote a program to run under DOS while the system had
only ONE TASK running (no desqview, no windows). This program would be
able to
 READ and WRITE DOS partitions, Linux/Minix partitions, Extended
partitions,
 Extended2 partitions, Xiafs partitions, and anything else Linux
supports now
 or in the future.

In order to backup, you shutdown Linux and boot under DOS. Then run the
tape
 program which will put your Linux partitions on a QIC-80 tape. Then,
restart
 Linux.

To restore a partition, you first use a Root disk to make the partition
and
 format it if the partition you are restoring to is non-existent. Then,
boot up
 DOS, run the tape, restore files from the tape, and bring up linux.

Hey, taking down Linux to boot up dos and the tape program is no loss
for me -
 I'd only do it once a week. You could even put the tape program on a
DOS
 floppy with the operating system and everything so you don't even need
to have
 a DOS partition to boot from - so long as you don't need to access the
floppy
while the tape is in operation.

 * Origin: SRRT * (508) 877-8854 * Framingham, MA * (1:333/337.0)

1. QIC-80 tape drive, $160

MEI/Micro Center has a cheap QIC-80 tape drive.  They list it for
$160 without software.  Here's an excellent drive to buy, because you
don't have to subsidize the development of DOS software you aren't
going to use.  It is compatible with CMS's backup software,
so I imagine it's compatible with the CMS Jumbo.

Now if only we had a Linux driver for it.  :(

Is the problem a lack of documentation?  Has anyone tried
reverse-engineering the way the DOS programs access the drive?

Crynwr Software           Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.
11 Grant St.              315-268-1925 Voice  |  LPF member - ask me about
Potsdam, NY 13676         315-268-9201 FAX    |  the harm software patents do.

2. FreeBSD with no floppy controller, HOW?

3. wanted information on QIC-40/QIC-80 tape drives.

4. "Shutdown" user (was Rerstrincting su to user)

5. Conner QIC-80 "floppy" tape drive

6. net-2 Spurious ARP bug?

7. help with trakker QIC-80 tape drive connected at printer port

8. Multiple bootable dos' bootable by linux ?

9. What is the status of using a QIC-80 tape drive??

10. QIC-80 Tape Drive

11. archive 5580 (qic-80) tape drive and ftape

12. How to setup trakker tape drive (printer port device QIC-80)?

13. HELP!!! Conner QIC-80 tape drive setup