Can't log on as root, su works

Post by Lee Gra » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:48:34

Hello,

I just installed Mandrake 7.0 and can't log on as root.  If I log on as the
other account I created during setup, I can then su as root with the correct
password.  I can even change the password and use su again with the new one,
but still can't login from a ghetty prompt. (not using X, btw)

Any ideas?  Any other info I can provide?

Thanks for any help,
Lee

Can't log on as root, su works

Post by Stephen M. William » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:58:26

> Hello,

> I just installed Mandrake 7.0 and can't log on as root.  If I log on as
> the other account I created during setup, I can then su as root with the
> correct password.  I can even change the password and use su again with
> the new one, but still can't login from a ghetty prompt. (not using X,
> btw)

> Any ideas?  Any other info I can provide?

> Thanks for any help,
> Lee

You could check the /etc/securetty file to make sure that it has entries
in it.  If not, root's not allowed to login directly from terminals not
listed in that file.

Steve

Can't log on as root, su works

Post by Jeff Bivian » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:23:09

> Hello,

> I just installed Mandrake 7.0 and can't log on as root.  If I log on as
> the other account I created during setup, I can then su as root with the
> correct
> password.  I can even change the password and use su again with the new
> one, but still can't login from a ghetty prompt. (not using X, btw)

> Any ideas?  Any other info I can provide?

whats in your /etc/securetty??

see "man securetty"

- Jeff

Can't log on as root, su works

Post by Lee Gra » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:40:11

Quote:> You could check the /etc/securetty file to make sure that it has entries
> in it.  If not, root's not allowed to login directly from terminals not
> listed in that file.

> Steve

It was empty.  Removing the file solved the problem.  Odd default for the
setup, in my opinion!  As a newbie, I don't know how long that would've
taken to figure out!

Thanks for the tip.

Lee

Can't log on as root, su works

Post by George De Brui » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:26:32

> It was empty.  Removing the file solved the problem.  Odd default for the
> setup, in my opinion!  As a newbie, I don't know how long that would've
> taken to figure out!

Hi Lee,

Just an additional comment -- this was probably dependent on what you chose
for your security level during the Mandrake setup.  I believe if you chose
the high level security the settings for allowing root to logon at a
console were affected.

I recall that during one of my passes over the setup, I read the notes on
the security levels and the highest one was almost paranoid about some
things.  (But, I admittedly cannot recall if this handling of the root
account in the security settings was specifically mentioned.)

--
George J. De Bruin
Check Out 0l0rin's New Age compositions at http://mp3.com/0l0rin

Can't log on as root, su works

Post by Lee Gra » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:24:28

Quote:> Just an additional comment -- this was probably dependent on what you
chose
> for your security level during the Mandrake setup.  I believe if you chose
> the high level security the settings for allowing root to logon at a
> console were affected.

For what it's worth, I used the text mode setup and don't recall seeing that
setting.  If I had, I certainly wouldn't have chosen it for this particular
machine as it's just an old junker I'm using for learning (no network
access, incl. Internet).  Thanks for the extra feedback.

Lee

1. Can't log in as root, but can su root

I'm trying to set up my linux firewall box. I first got it running with
tcp/ip networking. I then added some packages by putting in my linux
mandrake 6.1 boot disk and selecting upgrade (its a lot easier to
satisfy dependencies). The next time I rebooted, I could not log in as
root. It would simply say "login incorrect." I can log in as my normal
user account, then su root. But I can't log into root directly. This
only happened since I used the bootdisk to upgrade the packages.

Can someone please help, I'm very frustrated. Thanks.

2. nis on fbsd 4.5?

3. 'su <something-other-than-root>' works, sort of....

4. RTL8139C: transmit timed out

5. PPP error when only su to root; OK if logged in as root

6. UT Linux group

7. differences between su root and su - root

8. HELP: Solaris x86 2.5 shutdown hangs

9. Help: "su" for root doesn't work

10. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

11. su/rsh as root won't work for users with passwords?

12. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

13. Moving root to new partition, su doesn't work