Linux Laptop recommendation?

Post by Ajay Sh » Tue, 15 Jun 1993 05:33:35

Suppose I was buying a laptop/notebook which would run Linux.
I have a 9600b external modem which I will use with this machine.

I'm looking for:

*  386-SL (what are the clock speeds?)
*  8M and up (do notebooks take such quantities of memory?)
*  Ability to plug in external VGA monitor
*  monochrome ok
*  120M and up
*  ability to plug into ethernet at work
        How is this done?  Will this work with Linux?
*  3.5" floppy
*  serial port fast enough for the external modem
*  what does one do for a mouse?
*  4kg and below.

What would such a beast cost?   What's a good vendor to buy this from?
I've seen some LCD displays which I really hate.

Thanks,

        -ans.
--

Post by Steven M. Kna » Tue, 15 Jun 1993 20:42:20

>Suppose I was buying a laptop/notebook which would run Linux.
>I have a 9600b external modem which I will use with this machine.

I would like to suggest what I am considering for this as well: the Znote

Quote:>I'm looking for:

>*  386-SL (what are the clock speeds?)

25mHz?

Quote:>*  8M and up (do notebooks take such quantities of memory?)

4MB on board, either 2 2MB cards or one 8MB card will fit...8MB is
most cost effecitve.

Quote:>*  Ability to plug in external VGA monitor

Will do that, and update both screens at once.

Quote:>*  monochrome ok

It has a nice screen, color is an option, and an upgrade

Quote:>*  120M and up

80 or 120MB hard drive...standard 21/2" IDE should you ever want to
upgrade. I checked, the BIOS will support ANY IDE drive.

Quote:>*  ability to plug into ethernet at work

Built in! :-) The 10baseT or 10base2 (coax) adapators are about $70

Quote:>        How is this done?  Will this work with Linux?

From what I have seen, it will/should...the ethernet in the notebook
is standard (same as if you were to buy a card).

Quote:>*  3.5" floppy

1.44MB standard, 2.88MB upgrade

Quote:>*  serial port fast enough for the external modem

38400 is no problem...:-)

Quote:>*  what does one do for a mouse?

Logitech TrackMan included...Linux will support it attached to the
PS/2 mouse port.

Quote:>*  4kg and below.

6lbs....sorry conversion charts are at home.

Quote:>What would such a beast cost?   What's a good vendor to buy this from?
>I've seen some LCD displays which I really hate.

 Z-Note 325L (4M, 120M HD, VGA LCD, NiMH batt)....................... $ 1868.00
  8M memory upgrade for Z-Notes...................................... $  467.00
  Port Replicator for Z-Notes (Power,Printer,Serial,Kbd,Mouse,SVGA).. $   71.00

those are the educational prices, you can get it straight from Zenith,
let me know if you want the number!

Oh, the port replicator is a bar that goes across the back of the
notebook, and acts as a mini-dock of sorts, allowing most everything
to be hooked up at once.(except the E-net and internal modem)

Good luck!

PS: there is a 486SL version too!

Steven M. Knapp                             Computer Engineering Student

Iowa State University; Ames, IA; USA      Durham Center Operations Staff

Linux Laptop recommendation?

Post by Jonas R Kle » Wed, 16 Jun 1993 09:19:50

Two more notebooks to add to the compatibility summary...

I got a message from someone today who is using a Compaq with no
problems.  Suspend works great.  (I had a little ytrouble getting one
to boot in thestore.. Oh Well. Guess i did something wrong.)

Also Tried a 386 Zenith Z note. Booted fine, I didn't like the trackball
that much, but of course you can pick your own.  Both internal and
external screens work at once, or either one, switchable via the
keyboard.  Suspend was a big failutre!  all it did on resume was make
little flashing patterns across the screen.

Hope this helps anyone looking.  If anyone has a Travelpro running
Linux, could you please contact me?  It's theonly 486SL I've seen with
palm rests and a trackball below the keyboard.

Also, please mail me if you have any other notebooks running linux.
I'll continue to summarize.

Thanks!
{Jonas

Post by David Harris » Wed, 16 Jun 1993 18:08:29

> Suppose I was buying a laptop/notebook which would run Linux.
> I have a 9600b external modem which I will use with this machine.

I've got a Compaq Contura 3/25, my answers are based on this machine

Quote:> I'm looking for:

> *  386-SL (what are the clock speeds?)

25MHz

Quote:> *  8M and up (do notebooks take such quantities of memory?)

Max of 12MByte

Quote:> *  Ability to plug in external VGA monitor

No problem.

Quote:> *  monochrome ok

Reasonable side-lit display - X386mono looks good on it.

Quote:> *  120M and up

120Mbyte is the max size (in the UK) just now, the 486 model can have larger -
I think.

Quote:> *  ability to plug into ethernet at work
>         How is this done?  Will this work with Linux?

Not sure on this one - no space for internal cards, other than modem, and no
docking station I know of, how about SLIP ?

Quote:> *  3.5" floppy

Yup.

Quote:> *  serial port fast enough for the external modem

Yup.

Quote:> *  what does one do for a mouse?

Mouse/External-keyboard socket on the back, if you need both the external
keyboard *and* the rodent, the squeeky one has to go on the serial port.
This is, of course, a bummer if you've got your modem plugged in :-(

Quote:> *  4kg and below.

3.1Kg - I think. Must get it on the bathroom scales when I get home.

Quote:> What would such a beast cost?   What's a good vendor to buy this from?

UK prices are higher than US - I paid #1,100 (sterling) 8 months ago for mine
with 4MByte and a 60MByte disk.

Quote:> I've seen some LCD displays which I really hate.

So have I, the Compaq is pretty good, in fact I liked it so much, I bought the
machine ;-) But then I would say that, wouldn't I ?

Quote:> Thanks,

You're welcome !

David Harrison                              Phone  +44 (0)565 621000 Ext 4197
UNIX Systems Support Team                   Fax    +44 (0)565 654473
Barclays Computer Operations                Mobile 0836 583085 (UK Only)

Cheshire WA16 9EU                           #include <disclaimer.h>

Post by David Gregs » Sat, 19 Jun 1993 09:00:57

>Suppose I was buying a laptop/notebook which would run Linux.
>I have a 9600b external modem which I will use with this machine.
>I'm looking for:
>*  386-SL (what are the clock speeds?)
>*  8M and up (do notebooks take such quantities of memory?)
>*  Ability to plug in external VGA monitor
>*  monochrome ok
>*  120M and up
>*  ability to plug into ethernet at work
>        How is this done?  Will this work with Linux?
>*  3.5" floppy
>*  serial port fast enough for the external modem
>*  what does one do for a mouse?
>*  4kg and below.
>What would such a beast cost?   What's a good vendor to buy this from?
>I've seen some LCD displays which I really hate.
>Thanks,
>        -ans.
>--

We use a 486dx2 50 notebook with 16MB RAM and 210MB h/disc.
This cost around AUS$4000 (around US$2800) in Australia.
This machine is actually running SCO ODT 2.0 but I'm sure
Linux would be ok. We also have adetachable docking station
which allows us to install ethernet cards to connect to our
in-house LAN when not in mobile use, plus we can install a svga
card to get 1024x768 resolution with an ext monitor.