tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Wayne P. Mye » Wed, 29 Jul 1992 02:26:00

Is anyone else out there having problems ftp-ing from tsx-11.mit.edu?
I've been trying to get the newest release of linux, for about two weeks
now. When I issue the get, or mget command to pull a file/files I get
tranfer failed. Then when I do an ls I have to do it about three times
before it shows me anything. Now I've ftp'd from this site in the past
with no problems, and it works fine if I try it from banjo.concert, but
I can't find rootimage-0.96c at that site. If there is a problem that
exists, and will continue to persist at tsx-11.mit can someone give me a
couple more sites, besides banjo.concert where I can find everything.

Thanks in advance :)

Wayne P. Myers

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Jim Winstead J » Wed, 29 Jul 1992 12:42:22

Quote:>Is anyone else out there having problems ftp-ing from tsx-11.mit.edu?

It's not very helpful, but I haven't had any problems.

Quote:>Now I've ftp'd from this site in the past with no problems, and it
>works fine if I try it from banjo.concert, but I can't find
>rootimage-0.96c at that site.

You can't find rootimage-0.96c because there is no such thing.  The
latest release of the root image was rootimage-0.96, which is on banjo
in /pub/Linux/Incoming.

The next release of the root disk will be either root-0.97, or
root-0.96.1.  Revision letters are used for kernel updates, number for
root disk updates.
--
                                    +    Jim Winstead Jr. (CSci '95)
                                    |            Harvey Mudd College

                                    + This is all my words.  Honest!

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Keith Rohr » Wed, 29 Jul 1992 22:43:10

|> Is anyone else out there having problems ftp-ing from tsx-11.mit.edu?
|> I've been trying to get the newest release of linux, for about two weeks
|> now. When I issue the get, or mget command to pull a file/files I get
|> tranfer failed. Then when I do an ls I have to do it about three times
|> before it shows me anything. Now I've ftp'd from this site in the past
I have had similar experiences with tsx-11, but only when I cause tsx-11 to
not find a filename.  If I don't mistype anything, I'm okay, but when I refer
to a name that isn't there the tsx-11 server gets very confused.  That or it
confuses my FTP client; somebody want to ftp tsx-11 in Very Verbose Mode and
see what the heck it's doing?  And fix it?

Banjo works okay, I think.  I'm using IRIX 4.0.1 on this side of the FTP.

|> with no problems, and it works fine if I try it from banjo.concert, but
|> I can't find rootimage-0.96c at that site. If there is a problem that
If you can't find a rootimage-0.96c, get a rootimage-0.96.  Almost everything
is identical.  Don't forget to get (and compile) the source to ps if you
build and install kernel 0.96 pl2.

|> exists, and will continue to persist at tsx-11.mit can someone give me a
|> couple more sites, besides banjo.concert where I can find everything.
|>
|> Thanks in advance :)
|>
|> Wayne P. Myers

        Keith

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Kristian Ejvi » Thu, 30 Jul 1992 07:46:09

   I have had similar experiences with tsx-11, but only when I cause tsx-11 to
   not find a filename.  If I don't mistype anything, I'm okay, but when I refer
   to a name that isn't there the tsx-11 server gets very confused.  That or it
   confuses my FTP client; somebody want to ftp tsx-11 in Very Verbose Mode and

This is the same behaviour as I have experienced. I'm on a sun4 running
SunOS 4.1.2.

/Kristian

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Larry Butl » Thu, 30 Jul 1992 09:35:08

>Is anyone else out there having problems ftp-ing from tsx-11.mit.edu?
>I've been trying to get the newest release of linux, for about two weeks
>now. When I issue the get, or mget command to pull a file/files I get
>tranfer failed. Then when I do an ls I have to do it about three times
>before it shows me anything. Now I've ftp'd from this site in the past
>with no problems, and it works fine if I try it from banjo.concert, but
>I can't find rootimage-0.96c at that site. If there is a problem that
>exists, and will continue to persist at tsx-11.mit can someone give me a
>couple more sites, besides banjo.concert where I can find everything.

>Thanks in advance :)

>Wayne P. Myers

I have had this problem on and off for months. It seems execute a
command about two or three commands behind the one you just typed.

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Ben C » Thu, 30 Jul 1992 14:21:11

>I have had this problem on and off for months. It seems execute a
>command about two or three commands behind the one you just typed.

When this happens, doing "reset" should fix it.

From the "ftp" man page:

     reset
          Clear reply queue.  This command re-synchronizes
          command/reply sequencing with the remote ftp server.
          Resynchronization may be neccesary following a viola-
          tion of the ftp protocol by the remote server.

I have found that sometimes "reset" works, and sometimes it doesn't. :-)

--
Ben Cox

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by James Henricks » Thu, 30 Jul 1992 07:31:19

>|> Is anyone else out there having problems ftp-ing from tsx-11.mit.edu?
>|> I've been trying to get the newest release of linux, for about two weeks
>|> now. When I issue the get, or mget command to pull a file/files I get
>|> tranfer failed. Then when I do an ls I have to do it about three times
>|> before it shows me anything. Now I've ftp'd from this site in the past
>I have had similar experiences with tsx-11, but only when I cause tsx-11 to
>not find a filename.  If I don't mistype anything, I'm okay, but when I refer
>to a name that isn't there the tsx-11 server gets very confused.  That or it
>confuses my FTP client; somebody want to ftp tsx-11 in Very Verbose Mode and
>see what the heck it's doing?  And fix it?

Maybe it is an mit problem in general?  The same thing has been happening
when I ftp prep.  It might be somewhere else, though, as it also happened
when I ftp'd nic.funet.fi recently.  I've even gotten responses back in
a different order than I issued the commands!  :-)

--
Jim H.
*

* "Yet another Jim in the Linux world."  :-)

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Cory We » Fri, 31 Jul 1992 05:11:02

>  Maybe it is an mit problem in general?  The same thing has been happening
>  when I ftp prep.  It might be somewhere else, though, as it also happened
>  when I ftp'd nic.funet.fi recently.  I've even gotten responses back in
>  a different order than I issued the commands!  :-)

        I think the real 'problem' is that the MIT network and
their NSS connection are just quite busy.  What with all that
brain power and all.... :-)

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

   Date: 28 Jul 92 22:31:19 GMT

   Maybe it is an mit problem in general?  The same thing has been happening
   when I ftp prep.  It might be somewhere else, though, as it also happened
   when I ftp'd nic.funet.fi recently.  I've even gotten responses back in
   a different order than I issued the commands!  :-)

No, it's not an MIT problem.  Just so that everyone knows:

        The problem is that the ftpd running on TSX-11 is based on the
ftpd found in BSD 4.2 (with the various security holes closed).  The
reason why I haven't upgraded the ftpd to use a more recent version is
that this one does logging, and the BSD 4.3 one doesn't.

        Yes, I know there are a lot of spiffier FTP daemons around.  In
particular, I do have the one from nic.funet.fi.  I just need time to
configure it and compile it and test it.  It's a case of my not having
one of those mythical round tuits....

                                                        - Ted

tsx-11.mit.edu Linux

Post by Steve Pa » Sun, 02 Aug 1992 06:16:15

: >Is anyone else out there having problems ftp-ing from tsx-11.mit.edu?
: >I've been trying to get the newest release of linux, for about two weeks
: >now. When I issue the get, or mget command to pull a file/files I get
: >tranfer failed. Then when I do an ls I have to do it about three times
: >before it shows me anything. Now I've ftp'd from this site in the past
: >with no problems, and it works fine if I try it from banjo.concert, but
: >I can't find rootimage-0.96c at that site. If there is a problem that
: >exists, and will continue to persist at tsx-11.mit can someone give me a
: >couple more sites, besides banjo.concert where I can find everything.
: >
: >Thanks in advance :)
: >
: >Wayne P. Myers

:
: I have had this problem on and off for months. It seems execute a
: command about two or three commands behind the one you just typed.

 I have this problem only if a command I type causes some sort of error.
 A cd to a non-existant directory, a dir of a nonexistant file (wcard),
 etc...  If I never make a mistake, it keeps up just fine.  Should I make
 a mistake, and then the connection goes screwy, with it lagging behind
 me.  I'm not even sure it's really "lagging behind" or if it's just
 really hosed. :)   If I close and re-open the link, it's fine until the
 next error. :)