Asus K7V ACPI Power Button not working

Post by rg3 » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:18:12

Hello,

I have an Asus K7V Motherboard with an Athlon at 800 Mhz. I'm running kernel
2.4.21 and Slackware 9.0. The problem is that the power button does not
produce any event that can be read on /proc/acpi/event and for that reason,
the ACPId [daemon] can't change to runlevel 0 when I press it.

The BIOS information for this MoBo is:

        Award Medallion BIOS 6.0
        Asus K7V ACPI BIOS Revision 1005a

I tried a Google search with the motherboard name and acpi power button,
without any relevant results.

The kernel is compiled with ACPI support (modules ospm_system, ospm_busmgr
and ospm_button). When inserting those modules, the kernel produces the
following messages:

        ospm_system:
                ACPI: System firmware supports S0 S1 S3 S4 S5
        ospm_busmgr:
                < no messages >
        ospm_button:
                ACPI: Power button (FF) found
                ACPI: Multiple power buttons detected,\
                        ignoringfixed-feature
                ACPI: Power button (CM) found

The kernel was also patched with the grsecurity patch from grsecurity.net.
Thinking that the security measures from it could be a problem, I compiled
the same kernel without any security features, but it didn't work either. I
have no ACL system set up.

Well, that sums it up. Everything seems to be fine (and the computer powers
down properly at the end of the change to runlevel 0 when I run /sbin/halt)
but I tried pressing the button and it didn't work. I checked ACPId's
default configuration and seemed OK. I turned the daemon off and did a cat
/proc/acpi/event. When I pressed the button, nothing was and is printed.

Oh, yes, a final detail (maybe you want this information too). The files I
have below /proc/acpi are:

./dsdt
        < binary contents >
./gpe
        GPE0: 0b 00
./alarm
        0003-06-23 **:14:00
./sleep
        S0 S1 S3 S4 S5
./info
        ACPI-CA Version:         20011018
        Sx States Supported:     S0 S1 S3 S4 S5
./button
        < directory >
./button/power
        < empty directory >
./button/power
        < empty directory (duplicated name!) >
./event
        < blank file ;) >

Thanks in advance for your help.

Asus K7V ACPI Power Button not working

Post by Sybren Stuve » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:00:31

rg3 enlightened us with:

Quote:> I'm running kernel 2.4.21 and Slackware 9.0. The problem is that the
> power button does not produce any event that can be read on
> /proc/acpi/event and for that reason, the ACPId [daemon] can't change
> to runlevel 0 when I press it.

I don't even get ACPI support, so no /proc/acpi directory, with a
freshly compiled 2.4.21 kernel... So you got further than I did!

Sybren

1. Asus K7V ACPI Power Button not working

[...]

2. HELP: adding CD-R interferes with other CDROM

3. ACPI power-off doesn't work on Asus CUV4X (VIA Apollo 133)

4. Large Disk Support

5. ACPI in 2.4.6 detects power button twice

6. Listserv Question.

7. ASUS A7V auto power down not working

8. apache - making DNS lookups selective by virtual host

9. 3-button PS2 mouse on a 390 - middle button not working

10. -> 3-button mouse, 2nd button not work

11. Help: 2nd mouse button (3 button mouse) not working right

12. Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

13. Powering off system with the power button