Kernel development

Post by slas » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:20:57

Hi,
I am new to Linux and I have a question about developing a customized
kernel.
I am interested in large-scale text-processing of text documents where
performance (speed, memory, etc.) is of the highest priority.  So, for
this academic experiment, I am interested in doing the most out of
least. In other words, I want to have a kernel w/o any overheads that
are not associated with my problem of text-processing. For example, I
don't need GNOME or KDE because command based console would do. I will
need the very basic features of the operating system. How do I go
about this problem? I realize I am being a little vague here as I
myself am not sure of what I am seeking!  Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slash

Kernel development

Post by Sybren Stuve » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:04:25

slash enlightened us with:

Quote:> I am new to Linux and I have a question about developing a customized
> kernel.

Almost all Linux users are using a customized kernel.

Quote:> I want to have a kernel w/o any overheads that are not associated with
> my problem of text-processing. For example, I don't need GNOME or KDE
> because command based console would do.

You seem to miss the function of the kernel. The kernel is something
completely different from the applications running on it.

Quote:> I will need the very basic features of the operating system.

Install a minimal Debian or Slackware system, or build your own
distribution.

Quote:> realize I am being a little vague here as I myself am not sure of what
> I am seeking!

That was clear.

Quote:> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Read some good documentation and first start using Linux for a few
months before you try and customize it.

Sybren

Kernel development

Post by Davi » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:24:15

> Hi,
> I am new to Linux and I have a question about developing a customized
> kernel.
> I am interested in large-scale text-processing of text documents where
> performance (speed, memory, etc.) is of the highest priority.  So, for
> this academic experiment, I am interested in doing the most out of
> least. In other words, I want to have a kernel w/o any overheads that
> are not associated with my problem of text-processing. For example, I
> don't need GNOME or KDE because command based console would do. I will
> need the very basic features of the operating system. How do I go
> about this problem? I realize I am being a little vague here as I
> myself am not sure of what I am seeking!  Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.

There is a lot of documentation available at "The Linux
Documentaion Project" at the link below including a Kernel HOWTO.

www.tldp.org

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

Kernel development

Post by mjt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:23:34

> I am new to Linux and I have a question about developing a customized
> kernel.
> I am interested in large-scale text-processing of text documents where
> performance (speed, memory, etc.) is of the highest priority.

.... since you're not requiring xfree/GUI, just dont jump to that
runlevel (5), say, stay at runlevel 3.  i doubt seriously you need
to customize the kernel to do the work you're after. almost any
distro will do, but if you want a TRULY customized solution, that
is optimized for the machine it's running on, go with gentoo(.org).

Kernel development

Post by Sybren Stuve » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:33:22

mjt enlightened us with:

Quote:> .... since you're not requiring xfree/GUI, just dont jump to that
> runlevel (5), say, stay at runlevel 3.

This is highly distribution-dependent. Not every distribution uses the
"runlevel 3 for text, runlevel 5 for graphics" stuff. Debian, for
instance, boots in runlevel 2, and if you have configured it to start
kdm or gdm at that level, you'll get a graphical login.

Quote:> i doubt seriously you need to customize the kernel to do the work
> you're after.

Very true. That would only help for some processor-specific
optimalisations.

Quote:> almost any distro will do, but if you want a TRULY customized
> solution, that is optimized for the machine it's running on, go with
> gentoo(.org).

Or Linux From Scratch / Bring Your Own Linux.

Sybren

1. Linux kernel development going too fast?

First of all don't get me wrong. I like the way Linux kernels are
released , and above all , the speed in which security exploits are
fixed. But , aren't we going a little too fast? It seems to me that
Linux kernels are released too fast for someone to cope with. Unless
you have a lot of time to waste , you cannot keep up to date with the
kernel. I think that kernels should be released slightly slower ( i am
talking about patch versions).This will allow developers to test their
code a little more ,and before the kernel is deemed "stable" , fix the
very obvious bugs. Real rapid kernel changes should normally only
happen when there is a security exploit. Then a new kernel can be
released ,without having anything more than the previous one; just the
fixed security exploit. Then stable kernels will be stable , and
development development.

2. Sys Admin educaton

3. Use of virtual machines in kernel development

4. X screen size and other problems

5. Linux Kernel development

6. SCSI/aha274x/aic7xxx trouble -- SOLVED!

7. Driver/Kernel Development ?

8. How to activate IP#s in Linux ?

9. In Depth Kernel Development Question

10. Principle Software Engineer - Kernel Development (Waltham, MA)

11. Newbie question : Kernel development

12. Referrals Needed-UNIX KERNEL DEVELOPMENT-MA_MARLBOROUGH

13. List of kernel development