Need font: 'fixed' because of error message: can't find font: 'fixed'

Need font: 'fixed' because of error message: can't find font: 'fixed'

Post by D3j4_ » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:50:16

Hi, I have Slack 7.1, XF86 3.3.6, and I have installed KDE. when I
"startx", it gives me an error message: Could not open font: 'fixed' I
have looked in the font dir, and there was no 'fixed' font directory,
even though there were the base fonts.(100dpi,70dpi) I have tried
reinstalling xfnts.tgz, but doesn't really work. So, if anyone can
give me advice ar the font, 'fixed', I would give them a big hug.

Post by CTE » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:57:34

> Hi, I have Slack 7.1, XF86 3.3.6, and I have installed KDE. when I
> "startx", it gives me an error message: Could not open font: 'fixed' I
> have looked in the font dir, and there was no 'fixed' font directory,
> even though there were the base fonts.(100dpi,70dpi) I have tried
> reinstalling xfnts.tgz, but doesn't really work. So, if anyone can
> give me advice ar the font, 'fixed', I would give them a big hug.

Maybe try running locate fixed??? It may be in an unusula location.
Also, try seeing if there are any fixes available.
I also recommend upgrading to 8.1.

--
Chris Engel
CTE Net

Post by Hal Burgis » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:13:57

> Maybe try running locate fixed??? It may be in an unusula location.

Or it may not be a font file. At least on Redhat, 'fixed' is just an
alias.

 fixed  -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
[...]

And you can change it to anything you like, really.

What this error message really means: "I can't find _any_ *ing fonts.
As a last resort I tried 'fixed', and everyone should have that, but you
don't. At least, I can't find it. Fix your system."

--
Hal Burgiss

1. X won't start "could not find font 'fixed'"

Hello,

I just reinstalled Solaris 8 on a new Blade 100.  When the system boots
I get an error that it can't connect to display:0, and X won't start.

When I try to run xinit at the command line I get and fatal server error
that the font 'fixed' could not be found.  All of the fontpaths appear
to be setup correctly.

Also, when I try to start xfs at the command line I get another fatal
error saying that No listening sockets established, ListenTransCount=0
errno=125.  fsadmin tells me that xfs is set to startup from inetd...

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?  I'm starting to rip my
hair out...

Thanks,

Adhamh Findlay

2. UMSDOS - Slow?

3. Fatal server error: couldn't open default font 'fixed'

4. multiple cat-ting

5. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'

6. Minimal Linux Installation (<32Mb)

7. Error when starting X: "couldn't open default font 'fixed'"

8. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

9. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

10. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

11. Font problem - default font 'fixed'

12. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

13. Can't load 'fixed' font