Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

Post by Nave » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 09:22:38

if so, am I right in assuming that once I create a linux partition all
I will then have to do is pop in a Mandrake 9.x or for that matter any
Linux distribution cd and install ?

thanks

~n

Post by Davi » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 09:45:30

> if so, am I right in assuming that once I create a linux
> partition all I will then have to do is pop in a Mandrake 9.x
> or for that matter any Linux distribution cd and install ?

That's a general idea. Don't format the linux partition just
leave it as empty disk space. You'll make all linux partitions
during the installation.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

Post by Gary G. Taylo » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:12:00

> if so, am I right in assuming that once I create a linux partition all
> I will then have to do is pop in a Mandrake 9.x or for that matter any
> Linux distribution cd and install ?

> thanks

PM does NOT support ext3, only ext2. So, as the previous poster suggested,
the best course is to use PM to create empty space on the drive and use
Mandrake's partitioning tool to create the needed partitions.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

Post by Bori » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:48:04

Quote:> if so, am I right in assuming that once I create a linux partition all
> I will then have to do is pop in a Mandrake 9.x or for that matter any
> Linux distribution cd and install ?

> thanks

When you create partition, Mandrake will do rest for you. He ask question,
you anwer it, and, after few min, you are" on the road again".:-))

Post by CTE » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 05:23:09

> if so, am I right in assuming that once I create a linux partition all
> I will then have to do is pop in a Mandrake 9.x or for that matter any
> Linux distribution cd and install ?

> thanks

> ~n

If you really want to use PM, I would partition it with that and format
them with the distro. (There is a difference.)

--
Chris Engel
CTE Net

Post by Richard Freu » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 06:38:07

> > if so, am I right in assuming that once I create a linux partition all
> > I will then have to do is pop in a Mandrake 9.x or for that matter any
> > Linux distribution cd and install ?

> > thanks

> PM does NOT support ext3, only ext2. So, as the previous poster suggested,
> the best course is to use PM to create empty space on the drive and use
> Mandrake's partitioning tool to create the needed partitions.

The more recent versions of PM (at least v. 8 which I have) do indeed
support ext3, though I would assume that Mandrake would work fine
on empty space as well.  BTW one of the reasons I get v. 8 is because of
a dual boot with Linux and XP.  I found that the earlier versions of PM
also did not work well with XP, but only with earlier versions of Windows.

Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

Post by Neos » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:21:20

Hello everyone!
I have installed PM 8 to create free space to my HD, then during Mandrake
9.1 installation, it found out that there was unallocated space and it used
it!
No sweat!
I am facing a slightly different problem:
Having installed Mandrake 9.1, the root directory is filled!
How can i "give" some space from the /home or other partitions on the HD?

PS:PartitionMagic 8.0 does not support ext3!

Post by Richard Freu » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:42:32

> Hello everyone!
> I have installed PM 8 to create free space to my HD, then during Mandrake
> 9.1 installation, it found out that there was unallocated space and it used
> it!
> No sweat!
> I am facing a slightly different problem:
> Having installed Mandrake 9.1, the root directory is filled!
> How can i "give" some space from the /home or other partitions on the HD?

> PS:PartitionMagic 8.0 does not support ext3!

This point may be unnecessary in that you have, as you say,
installed Mandrake on the empty space PM created.  However
I can assure that just last week I created ext3 space with
Partition Magic 8.0!

Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

Post by Neos » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:26:25

I'm sure you did, my friend, but no matter how i try, i cannot resize an
ext3 partition (created during mandrake's installation) with PM!
..which brings us again to my question, how can i give some space to my root
partition??
Thank you!

Quote:> This point may be unnecessary in that you have, as you say,
> installed Mandrake on the empty space PM created.  However
> I can assure that just last week I created ext3 space with
> Partition Magic 8.0!

1. Anyone used Partition Magic to increase size of Linux / Partition?

Giddy

I'm running out of space, my root partition is the last thing on the drive
and I have heaps of unused space.

I hear conflicting reports on PM and Linux.

Anyone know for certain whether I can extend my root partition with PM 5.01
without buggering everything up?

TIA

Shane Baker
Canberra - Australia's national capital
_____________________________
sbakerATpcug.org.au - please correct the obvious from my email address if replying direct
Australian Pets newsgroup - aus.pets  <<>>  Australian Dogs Page - http://www.pcug.org.au/~sbaker/dogs.htm

2. sound in solaris??

3. Partition Magic 3 creating partitions for use with Linux

4. Worm Writers Story.

5. Using Partition Magic to partition a hardisk with Win95 pre-installed

6. Looking for SVR4 source

7. Can i install win98+linux in a single hardisk using partition magic

8. Xconfig File for Cirrus Logic CLGD-5424

9. Installing linux AFTER using Partition Magic?

10. Can i install win98+linux in a single hardisk using partition magic

11. Moving/Resizing Linux (ext2) partitions with Partition Magic: It works!

12. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

13. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!