: The Linux Devi

Post by And » Mon, 24 May 1993 21:30:00

?@SUBJECT:Re: [NEW]: The Linux Device List

Newsgroup: comp.os.linux

|> This is actually a pretty good suggestion, but I'd go ahead with a
|> letter then two digits scheme: tty[a-o][0-9][0-9].  If it breaks ps, we
|> fix ps.  Any folks that have dealt with PC Unix's and multiport boards
|> know probably a few zillion forms for this stuff, and this is of course
|> annoying.

I would like this naming scheme too. I think it's more usual
than anything else. Fixing ps should not be that problem, right ?

Andy

: The Linux Devi

Quote:Laredo) writes:

>>>Anyone else like this idea?

>>I prefer this scheme too. My vote would go for it.

>Uh-huh.. and what happens to someone with 32 ports on one device

Then take two prefix letters.  This is basically what the digi drivers
do.

This is actually a pretty good suggestion, but I'd go ahead with a
letter then two digits scheme: tty[a-o][0-9][0-9].  If it breaks ps, we
fix ps.  Any folks that have dealt with PC Unix's and multiport boards
know probably a few zillion forms for this stuff, and this is of course
annoying.

I _KNOW_ you can easily run 48 Serial devices on a PC Unix Box, I don't
really see 128 connections as being a problem, in the very near future
either.  The current crop of digi C/X drivers supports 512 total serial
devices.  I do not see this as completely unrealistic either (as long as
we are not all recompiling LINUX! :) ).  Anyway it spreads itself
accross multiple Major numbers.
--

Digital Designs      BBS 1-919-423-4216            Hope Mills, NC 28348-2201
Somewhere in the Styx of North Carolina ...