Unix Books

Post by jwieg.. » Wed, 21 Oct 1992 09:44:10

Hi All:
Came across this list in misc.books.technical, hope it might
help some newcomers to Linux!
From sol.ctr.columbia.edu!destroyer!cs.ubc.ca!newsserver.sfu.ca!kko Mon Oct 19 20:38:50 EDT 1992
Article: 1765 of misc.books.technical
Newsgroups: misc.books.technical,alt.books.technical,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.wizards,news.answers
From: k...@fraser.sfu.ca (Samuel Ko)
Subject: [misc.books.technical]  A Concise Guide to Unix Books
Sender: n...@sfu.ca
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1992 05:07:16 GMT

Archive-name: books/unix
Last-modified: Oct 16 1992
Version 1.5.5 (minor revisions)

       [misc.books.technical]   A Concise Guide to Unix Books
** Compiled by: Samuel Ko (k...@sfu.ca)

** This is a good selection of the "best" Unix books / documentations.

** Subject areas covered:
   A. General Unix Texts
   B. Shells
   C. Unix Editors
   D. Networking and Communications
   E. System Administration
   F. Unix Security
   G. Programming
   H. TeX
   I. X Window System
   J. Dictionary
   K. Other Lists

** This guide is intended to be concise, so it is far from exhaustive.
   For other Unix bibliographies, please read section K - Other Lists.

** Thanks to all who have helped in improving this guide. However, to save
   some bandwidth, I do not want to include a long list of acknowledgment.
   I do sincerely thank each and every one of you who has contributed to
   this compilation in one way or the other.

** If you think there are some other really good Unix books, please let me
   know. Besides any comments, suggestions and flames will be very much
   appreciated.

** I will try to update and post this list at least once a month. The latest
   version is also obtainable by anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu (in
   /pub/usenet/news.answers/books). If you do not have ftp or netnews access
   you can get it by email from mail-ser...@pit-manager.mit.edu and the body
   of your request should be   send /usenet/news.answers/books/unix  .

** Here it goes ...

  A. General Unix Texts
*************************

1. Title: Unix for the Impatient
   Authors: Paul Abrahams and Bruce Larson
   Publisher: Addison Wesley
   Edition: 1992
   ISBN: 0-201-55703-7
   Comment:  **** Highly Recommended ****
             A new, comprehensive, in-depth reference to Unix ...
             "a handbook you can use both as a manual to learn UNIX and as
              a ready reference for fast answers to specific UNIX questions."

2. Title: The Unix Operating System
   Author: Kaare Christian
   Publisher: Wiley
   Edition: 2nd ed. 1988
   ISBN: 0-471-84781-X
   Comment: A classic overview of Unix commands ... Good in coverage ...

3. Title: A Practical Guide to the Unix System
   Author: Mark Sobell
   Publisher: Benjamin / Cummings
   Edition: 1990
   ISBN: 0-80-530243-3
   Comment: Similar to Christian's book ... Slightly easier to read ...
            There is a new edition for System V Release 4 ...

4. Title: The Waite Group's Unix System V Primer
   Authors:  Mitchell Waite, Donald Martin and Stephen Prata
   Publisher: Sams
   Edition: 2nd ed. 1992
   ISBN: 0-672-30194-6
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended  ****
            A very good hand-holding tutorial-type book for Unix/SVR4 ...

5. Title: Mastering SunOS
   Authors: Brent Heslop and David Angell
   Publisher: Sybex
   Edition: 1990
   ISBN: 0-89588-683
   Comment: A good, comprehensive hand-on text to SunOS and OpenWindows ...

6. Title: Peter Norton's Guide to Unix
   Authors: Peter Norton and Harley Hahn
   Publisher: Bantam Computer
   Edition: 1991
   ISBN: 0-553-35260-1
   Comment: Good coverage ... A good introduction for beginners (especially
            those accustomed to DOS) ...

7. Title: Unix in a Nutshell
   Authors: Daniel Gilly and O'Reilly staff
   Publisher: O'Reilly
   Edition: 2nd ed. 1992 (for System V and Solaris 2)
   ISBN: 1-56592-001-5
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended ****
            An excellent desktop reference to almost all Unix commands ...
            "a complete reference containing all commands and options, plus
             generous descriptions and examples that put the commands in
             context." ...
             Also an edition for 4.3. BSD ...

8. Title: Life with Unix - A Guide for Everyone
   Authors: Don Libes and Sandy Ressler
   Publisher: Prentice Hall
   Edition: 1990
   ISBN: 0-13-536657-7
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended ****
            An everything-you-want-to-know-about-Unix book ...
            It includes info you might not find elsewhere ...
            "This book is the "other" book about Unix ... a study in
             reading between the lines - which is very much what learning
             UNIX is like." ...

9. Title: Learning Unix
   Author: James Gardner
   Publisher: Sams
   Edition: 1991
   ISBN: 0-672-30001-X
   Comment: With disks containing MSDOS simulation of Unix (MKS Tools) ...
            A good tutorial / reference book for those without constant
            access to Unix ...

10. Title: Unix Desktop Guide to Tools
    Author: Pete Holsberg
    Publisher: Sams
    Edition: 1992
    ISBN: 0-672-30202-0
    Comment: A new and comprehensive guide to numerous Unix utilities ...

11. Title: The Design of the Unix Operating System
    Author: Maurice Bach
    Publisher: Prentice Hall
    Edition: 1986
    ISBN: 0-13-201799-7
    Comment: An excellent reference on the internals of System V ...
             This book and the next one are indeed highly technical ...

12. Title: The Design and Implementation of the 4.3 BSD Unix Operating System
    Authors: Samuel Leffler et al
    Publisher: Addison-Wesley
    Edition: 1990
    ISBN: 0-201-06196-1
    Comment: An authoritative description of the design of BSD Unix ...
             "It covers the internal structure of the 4.3BSD system and the
              concepts, data structures, and algorithms used in implementing
              the system facilities." ...

  B. Shells
*************

1. Title: The Unix C Shell Field Guide
   Authors: Gail Anderson and Paul Anderson
   Publisher: Prentice Hall
   Edition: 1986
   ISBN: 0-13-937468-X
   Comment: The C-Shell Bible - everything you need to know to understand
            csh and use Unix effectively ...

2. Title: Unix C Shell - Desk Reference
   Author: Martin Arick
   Publisher: QED Technical
   Edition: 1992
   ISBN: 0-89435-328-4
   Comment: A more recent text on maximizing the use of C-Shell ...

3. Title: Unix Shell Programming
   Authors: Stephen Kochan and Patrick Wood
   Publisher: Hayden
   Edition: 1990
   ISBN: 0-672-48448-X
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended ****
            A classic on using and programming Bourne Shell (and Korn Shell) ...

4. Title: Unix Desktop Guide to the Korn Shell
   Author: John Valley
   Publisher: Sams
   Edition: 1992
   ISBN: 0-672-48513-3
   Comment: This one is even better and easier to read than the authoritative
            work by Korn and Bolsky ...

  C. Unix Editors
*******************

1. Title: GNU EMACS Manual
   Author: Richard Stallman
   Publisher: Free Software Foundation
   Edition: 6th ed. 1988
   Comment: The official manual of GNU Emacs ... Essential for emacs users ...

2. Title: Learning GNU Emacs
   Authors: Debra Cameron and Bill Rosenblatt
   Publisher: O'Reilly
   Edition: 1992
   ISBN: 0-937175-84-6
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended ****
            Probably the best documentation on editing with GNU Emacs ...

3. Title: Desktop Guide to Emacs
   Authors: Ralph Roberts and Mark Boyd
   Publisher: Sams
   Edition: 1991
   ISBN: 0-672-30171-7
   Comment: Another good book on emacs ...

4. Title: Learning the vi Editor
   Author: Linda Lamb
   Publisher: O'Reilly
   Edition: 1990
   ISBN: 0-937175-67-6
   Comment: A very good guide to vi and ex commands ...
            With a quick reference card ...

5. Titles: vi Tutor and vi Reference
   Authors: Micheal Pierce and Robert Ware (Tut), Maarten Litmaati (Ref)
   Edition: 1.3 (Tut), 8 (Ref)
   Comment: These and other good vi stuff are obtainable by anonymous ftp
            from cs.uwp.edu (in pub/vi) ...

  D. Networking and Communications
*************************************

1. Title: Unix Networking
   Authors: Edited by Stephen Kochan and Patrick Wood
   Publisher: Hayden
   Edition: 1989
   ISBN: 0-672-48440-4
   Comment: Fairly technical on different issues of networking ...

2. Title: Managing NFS and NIS
   Author: Hal Stern
   Publisher: O'Reilly
   Edition: 1991
   ISBN: 0-937175-75-7
   Comment: A comprehensive, technical guide for system admins on distributed
            computing tools - NFS and NIS(YP) ...

3. Title: Unix Network Programming
   Author: Richard Stevens
   Publisher: Prentice Hall
   Edition: 1990
   ISBN: 0-13-949876-1
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended ****
            An excellent book on programming network softwares ...

4. Title: The Waite Group's Unix Communications
   Authors: Bart Anderson, Barry Costales & Harry Henderson
   Publisher: Sams
   Edition: 2nd ed. 1991
   ISBN: 0-672-22773-8
   Comment: **** Highly Recommended  ****
            A really excellent book on e-mail (Mail, elm), netnews (rn, nn)
            and UUCP ...

5. Title: Managing UUCP and Usenet
   Authors: Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino
   Publisher: O'Reilly
   Edition: 10 ed. 1992
   ISBN: 0-937175-93-5
   Comment: Well written on the setting-up and maintenance of UUCP
            and Netnews ...

6. ...

read more »

Unix Books

Post by Webe » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 21:17:03

>       [misc.books.technical]   A Concise Guide to Unix Books

>11. Title: The Design of the Unix Operating System
>    Author: Maurice Bach
>    Publisher: Prentice Hall
>    Edition: 1986
>    ISBN: 0-13-201799-7
>    Comment: An excellent reference on the internals of System V ...
>             This book and the next one are indeed highly technical ...

I have read in this book and I liked it.
My question: Is this book compatible with Linux, too (or the other
             way round)?
--

Juergen G. Weber
Student am Institut fuer Informatik

Unix Books

Post by Linus Torval » Fri, 23 Oct 1992 01:10:22

>>11. Title: The Design of the Unix Operating System
>>    Author: Maurice Bach
>>    Publisher: Prentice Hall
>>    Edition: 1986
>>    ISBN: 0-13-201799-7
>>    Comment: An excellent reference on the internals of System V ...
>>             This book and the next one are indeed highly technical ...

>I have read in this book and I liked it.
>My question: Is this book compatible with Linux, too (or the other
>             way round)?

Well..  It was one of the books I used pretty heavily during early
development, so there are certainly similarities: some of the algorithms
(especially in the filesystem and buffer cache) the book describes are
used in linux, and even function names can be similar.  The book does
lack in some areas (networking and job control) due to the sysv(r3)
influence, but it's certainly a good book if you are interested in the
unix kernel internals - I actually used the system call reference in the
book as a check-list when implementing the basic linux system calls
(along with ast's "OS Design and Implementation").

Another book I'd kill for (but haven't bought yet - it's a bit pricey)
is Leffler et al's 4.3BSD internals book ("The Design and Implementation
of the 4.3BSD system and...").  It covers the BSD system the same way
Bach covers sysv, and has some pretty interesting chapters.  I haven't
been able to more than skim through it, but Linus says: "get it" if you
can afford to and are interested in the intricacies of the BSD kernel.

Neither of the above books are exactly "linux-compatible" (what a
concept!), but they are the next best thing: good books about systems
that have influenced linux heavily.

                Linus

Unix Books

Post by Daniel AMP Caroso » Fri, 23 Oct 1992 09:41:48

The Grand Wizard Torvalds writes:

Quote:>Another book I'd kill for (but haven't bought yet - it's a bit pricey)
>is Leffler et al's 4.3BSD internals book ("The Design and Implementation
>of the 4.3BSD system and...").  It covers the BSD system the same way
>Bach covers sysv, and has some pretty interesting chapters.  I haven't
>been able to more than skim through it, but Linus says: "get it" if you
>can afford to and are interested in the intricacies of the BSD kernel.

Agreed, it's an excellent book. (Are they going to make a new one for 4.4?)

But, hell, I'd hate for you to have to kill someone. Tell you what -
I'll make you a deal. It's going to be pretty darn tough, for such a
good book. You write a freely distributable Unix for a popular and
cheap hardware platform, with more features, less bugs, and better
service response than many of the commercial versions (and better
karma than all of them), give everyone the opportunity to play with
and improve the kernel, start a world-wide movement of enthusiastic
hackers, hobbyists, and brave novices seeking to better themselves,
support and enhance the Free Software movement, and generally act as a
figure of good & light throughout the universe - and I'll send you a
copy of the book. And maybe a few other goodies if you manage to do
this while still undertaking full-time studies.

Oh? What's that you say? oh.. um.. well, err..  Gee! that was quick!

Thanks, Linus. :-)

Computer/Software Eng,      IRC: Waftam                         Camberwell 3124
University of Melbourne.    Vox: +61 3 882 8910                       Australia