Problem with raw mode in curses

Post by Brett L. Hub » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 03:50:50

I have SLS .98 and it works pretty well.  It solved a lot of problems
I had been having installing .97p6.  However, I am having difficulty
with curses.

I have a number of programs written locally that use curses, mostly in
raw mode.  They compile properly (I believe), but when they are run
they exhibit weird behavior:  The characters put to screen don't show
up until later, the cursor looses its place on the screen, and control
characters sometimes don't get caught by curses.

It has been suggested to me that perhaps my termcap entry is
incorrect, but I'm not familiar with the entries, apart from
ku,kd,kl,kr.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I am working
on projects which rely heavily on curses.

1. stty raw </dev/tty1fails to set raw mode

issuing the command stty raw </dev/tty1 from a
different session (not tty1) does not change the
device setting to raw.
stty raw </dev/tty0 from a different session does
work.

A program (based on motalk.c from the IBM manuals)is
used on AIX 3.2.5 (rs6000 model 230) to do modem
communication. Before doing an open, it issued
test = system("stty raw parenb evenp < /dev/tty1")
because the applications required even parity and
sends receives control codes (stx etx ack etc.)

We moved the program to aix 4.3.2 (7025 F40) and it
stopped working properly. i configured the serial
port so that nothing else would use it. I traced
the problem to /dev/tty1 not being set to raw mode
even after the above system call.

i could find no documentation with rules for when
setting raw/cooked should work.

thank you
sol gongola

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Summit 48 vs cisco catalyst

3. What diff. between raw mode and cbreak mode

4. Installing GNOME on Caldera

5. raw mode vs cooked mode

6. pcmcia: add device_class pcmcia_socket, update devices & drivers

7. QWK ON LINUX?

8. Problems with terminal raw-mode

9. TO THE PERSON WHO WAS HELPING ME ON MY RAW KEYBOARD MODE PROBLEM! ...

10. Mush curses mode problems on Solaris 2.1

11. curses curses curses

12. curses raw keycodes on Solaris 2.5.1