getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

Post by Mike Ell » Tue, 20 Apr 1993 08:55:32

Hi folks,

        I just installed getty_ps2.0.7, and I still can NOT get the
d*mn thing to work.

        I used an example uugetty.config file supplied with the
getty_ps package, and still NO GO.

I can dialout using kermit, and life is good. Dialins however do NOT
work.

getty does a LOOP_BACK through the modem. the RD and SD lights BOTH
light up, and it tries using "Softlanding software" as a login name.

As expected the thing chews hard, and thats about all it does.

Does ANYONE have a clue?

I tried playing with stty crtscts < dev/ttyS0, but NO help there...
maybee I'm not doing it right. (example please)

If anyone has to knowhow to help me, please email me. My machine is on
Internet, and anyone can telnet in if they wish to check out the
problem first hand.

I'm using a ZENITH (pos) 2400 modem.
I AM running on a DELL computer using a 9 -> 25 pin converter, but I
think that should be ok.

Thanx for the help,

        MikeE

Post by Neill Mea » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 17:43:00

>    I just installed getty_ps2.0.7, and I still can NOT get the
>d*mn thing to work.
>I can dialout using kermit, and life is good. Dialins however do NOT
>work.
>getty does a LOOP_BACK through the modem. the RD and SD lights BOTH
>light up, and it tries using "Softlanding software" as a login name.

>I tried playing with stty crtscts < dev/ttyS0, but NO help there...
>maybee I'm not doing it right. (example please)
>    MikeE

MikeE  I had just the same probs running getty that came with sls .99pl5, so
I upgraded thinking  that maybe getty was the prob, but it was the
MODEM SETUP which is / was the problem.

First:   Make sure that the modem only gets DCD high on connect, on mine, it
was DCD high all the time, thus the modem would chat with uugetty forever. 95%
chance this was your problem.

Second: MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE NO MNP5 or v.42bis verbose  connect statii
coming through.  Otherwise, you will get a connection to the calling modem,
and garbage.

Second.1: Are you using uugetty?
Second.2: Are you aware that the initialization files changed VERY dramitacally?

Third: Is your /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 in the right place?

Fourth:  Put DEBUG=777 in your /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 to get a very, very
verbose debug file located in /tmp/uugetty:ttyS0 this should tell you a
huge gob of information.

Five:In the getty 2.0.7 tar file, there was a directory of ./Examples
That contained a file of getty.autoanswer------>>>
I suggest that you build your /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 from this.

Sixth: You might consider putting a DELAY=1, and a WAITFOR=\r\r at
the end of your uugetty.ttyS0 to eliminate the chance of your origional
problem reoccurring. This will give just a brief 1 second pause, and require
you to punch <enter> a couple of times to get a login: prompt.

I hope this works for you, I had just the same problem, and spent 10 hours
scratching my ass trying to figg'ir it out.

Contact me if this doesn't work, I'll be glad to help.

--
Sorry, our mailer only posts first 4 lines of the .signature file.

Here is the rest of it:

1. getty_ps2.0.7 ... cure for the serial login blues

GETTY_PS 2.0.7
---------------

This is the new version of getty_ps for Linux kernels 0.99.5 and higher.
The code has been changed to allow cooperation with the new callout devices
that come with 0.99.5.

FEATURES:
    New for 2.0.7:
        o  WAITFOR is back.  It is possible to negotiate all connections
           in software instead of requiring the modem to be set up to
           auto answer.
        o  Shane Alderton's ringback patches are in.  Ringback mode allows
           a phone line to be easily shared between voice and computer
           connections.  To initiate a ringback call, call the line... let
           the phone ring once, then call back and getty will answer;
           otherwise it will not.
    Standard features:
        o  Getty can be scheduled to be active only during specified time
           intervals, and inactive the rest of the time.
        o  Getty no longer assumes control of the serial line, so that
           other devices can use it.
        o  Default terminal type can be specified on the command line
        o  Getty performs modem initialization at startup, so that your
           modem is configured correctly for incoming calls.
        o  Highly configurable interface to allow for different modem
           speeds and configurations, and different /etc/issue type files
           for different lines.
        o  Uugetty reinitializes the modem if another program uses the
           line.

Version 2.0.6b had two major bugs:  job control was not handled correctly
when used with sysvinit, and uugetty caused the DTR line on modems to
flicker.  Both of these problems have been fixed.

I have uploaded a complete set of sources and sample configuration files to
sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu.  Also included are binaries compiled
with gcc 2.3.3, version 4.3.3 of the c-libraries.

The relevant file is getty_ps2.0.7.tar.z.  It is currently in the Incoming
directories at both sites.  It should be moved into /pub/linux/sources/sbin
at tsx-11.mit.edu, and /pub/Linux/system/Serial at sunsite.unc.edu.  These
files replace all files marked version 2.0.6, 2.0.6a, and 2.0.6b.

Kris Gleason

--

  HARDWARE (noun):  The equipment that makes up a
  computer system, not to be confused with software

2. IP MASQ won't work

3. getty_ps2.0.7 SCHED Patch

4. EXTERN_IP variable?

5. Getty_ps2.0.7 and ringback

6. HELP - I can't get rid of LILO

7. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

8. Installation probem - FDISK and DRUID

9. diald (0.7) does not lock the modem

10. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

11. Release 0.7 of diald (a demand dialing daemon)

12. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

13. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?