SCSI disks bigger than 1 Gigabyte?

Post by David F » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 15:47:38

Hello!  The Linux FAQ list states

Quote:>   XI.07)  What SCSI disks are supported?

> ANSWER: Disks up to two terabytes in size will work, since the sd
> driver switches to 10 byte reads when necessary.

However, I have just received a Seagate 42100 (Wren-9) disk
with 1812 cylinders of 1 megabyte each.  I find that if I
mount a partition containing cylinders beyond number 1024
I quickly get an "Unable to handle kernel paging request at
address C0000001" panic.  Why is this?  It sounds like
the disk was mapped starting at 80000000 so more than one
gig goes into the protected area above BFFFFFFF?  Is there
a fix for this problem, or should I cancel the order for
that two terabyte disk I've been waiting for?  (Only
$1,450,000!  A steal!)

-david

P.S. I sent this to linux-support and sunsite and it bounced:

sh: linux-bugs: bad directory
554 |"cd; cd linux-bugs; ./bugscript"... unknown mailer error 1

   ----- Unsent message follows -----