Logrotate won't create new log with proper permissions

Logrotate won't create new log with proper permissions

Post by t0pp » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:21:17

I am using the latest version of Syslog-NG (syslog-ng 1.6.0rc1) to do
all of my logging from the local system, all of our Cisco PIX
firewalls a Nortel Contivity and a Cisco Concentrator.

I am having the messages sent to a variety of non default files so
that I can monitor certain aspects of each device type.  I have also
created some scripts that so that I can have users check various
aspects of the log files.

The problem is this:  When I add the new file to logrotate.conf and
tell it to "create 0644", it does not do this.  Logrotate does rotate
and compress the file, but it does not create the permissions I told
it to.

The entry is as follows:
/var/log/syslog {
    daily
    create 0644 root root
    rotate 16

Quote:}

If I add the "create" section to a defined log file, such as "secure",
it changes the permissions correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me out.  I would appreciate any
advice you can give.

Thanks
Chris

1. Logrotate issue - won't create files with proper permissions

[...]

2. Killing X at shutdown?

3. apache 1.2.0 log files won't be created

4. PROBLEM: Using LanCity cable modem with Linux

5. adding new user with SMC won't create home dir

6. Looking for x-term FAST

7. New US Robotics modem won't dial; browser won't find web pages

8. Using WangDAT 1300 with Linux (or other OS)

9. logrotate won't

10. syslog won't log postfix to a new file

11. What's the proper permission for fdformat?

12. New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

13. Creating new log files