Making a clone drive

Post by Ric » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:10:54

Is there an easy way to take a hard drive from a VxWorks system and
making an exact clone (boot sector and filesystem) to another hard
drive?  I was thinking about using the dd command found in Linux.  I
was going to unplug the drive from the VxWorks system and plugging it
into the Linux box, store the image there then dumping the image on
another drive.

Is the above approach a good way to do this?  We have many VxWorks
systems and I was hoping to have Linux box to store all of these
images and use them in case a hard drive on the VxWorks system dies.

Thanks!

Making a clone drive

Post by Sybren Stuve » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:21:55

Rico enlightened us with:

Quote:> Is there an easy way to take a hard drive from a VxWorks system and
> making an exact clone (boot sector and filesystem) to another hard
> drive?  I was thinking about using the dd command found in Linux.  I
> was going to unplug the drive from the VxWorks system and plugging it
> into the Linux box, store the image there then dumping the image on
> another drive.

That should work. Make sure you use the right blocksizes.

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

1. Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

There is sever with two identical disks. Let's call
them Disk_A and Disk_B. When Disk_A is connected
(only this one) to server everything is okey.
I have cloned Disk_A to identical Disk_B with
Norton Ghost, and then connected it to sever
exclusively. After restart I get Lilo error

"L 01 01 01 01".

Can you help me... I have searched Net, but
nothing have found... What should I do?

Leszek

2. How to setup syslog server?

3. Making a disk drive look like a tape drive

4. Shell exponent comparision.

5. Making a generic clone

6. best practice for getting exit status of pipeline commands (bash, ksh, etc)

7. Making clones of arcade games, what is legal?

8. kfm

9. making many drives appear as one virtual drive

10. Making a disk drive look like a tape drive

11. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A

12. Cloning an AIX/Unix Drive

13. Cloning Linux Drives