Sendmail question

Post by Chris Sherloc » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

How would I make it so that sendmail, when it talks to an ESMTP server,
say that it is from a FQDN (in this case I want it to be optusnet.com.au
instead of my linux box's name sasquatch.creatures).

When I run sendmail in verbose mode, I can see it doing an EHLO
sasquatch.creatures and I figure this is where things are going wrong.
What I want to do is make sendmail say that it is sending from
optusnet.com.au

Does anyone here know how I can make it do this?

Chris

Sendmail question

Post by Paul Dragicevic » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

if you are just using sendmail to relay local mail via your ISP's SMTP
server, why not use nullmailer instead?  Its much, MUCH easier to
configure and you can do what you want by setting an environment
variable.  Forget the address but just search on freshmeat.net.

> How would I make it so that sendmail, when it talks to an ESMTP server,
> say that it is from a FQDN (in this case I want it to be optusnet.com.au
> instead of my linux box's name sasquatch.creatures).

> When I run sendmail in verbose mode, I can see it doing an EHLO
> sasquatch.creatures and I figure this is where things are going wrong.
> What I want to do is make sendmail say that it is sending from
> optusnet.com.au

> Does anyone here know how I can make it do this?

> Chris

Sendmail question

Post by Hagbard Celin » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

You will want to use a generics table to rewrite your headers on outgoing mail.
Look for an article entitled `Sendmail and Dialup Modem Internet'.  I do not,
unfortunately, remember the URL...

Hagbard

--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

Sendmail question

Post by Dave Addiso » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > When I run sendmail in verbose mode, I can see it doing an EHLO
> > sasquatch.creatures and I figure this is where things are going wrong.
> > What I want to do is make sendmail say that it is sending from
> > optusnet.com.au

> > Does anyone here know how I can make it do this?

Use the masquerade options in the m4 imput file
I believe there's a good HOWTO on the RedHat website on how to set this up.
Alternatively the FAQ on www.sendmail.org has answered virtually every
question I've ever wanted to ask.

As far as I can remember the two options are
masquerade_as and masquerade_envelope
Setting these correctly should do what you want

Dave