lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

Post by Mr H » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:07:59

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows what's going on.  I've upgraded my kernel to a
newer one, and I went to change my /etc/lilo.conf file to get it to boot
into it correctly.  So far so good, the online documentation was fine.

So now I had Windows, the older kernel and the newer kernel as options.  So
far so good.

Then I decided to delete the older kernel.  I deleted any of the files that
had anything related to the older kernel from /boot.  I then changed
lilo.conf to remove the entry for the older kernel aswell.

I restart my computer and I get the exact same boot options - Windows,
Older kernel and new kernel.

After a bit of digging, I found there was a different file called
/etc/lilo.conf~ which had my old settings to boot.  So this file was
probably the one it was using to choose my boot options.  Why is that?

Also, it's weird because this old lilo.conf~ file which has the old kernel
still as an option runs fine.

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

When I select "linux" from Lilo, it boots into Linux fine, even there is no
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-1", (not even a hidden file of that name).

Here's a copy of linux.conf~ file in all its entirity:

boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout="50"
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-12"
        label="LinuxNew"
        root="/dev/hda4"
        read-only

(the linux.conf file is the same, just without the /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
image).

Any help appreciated,

Michael

lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

Post by Don McCom » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:31:24

I think that the lilo.conf~ file may have been created by the text editor
which you used to edit lilo.conf.

Did you run /sbin/lilo after you edited lilo.conf?  If not, your computer
will use the old settings which were in lilo.conf.

I hope this helps,
Regards,
Don.

> Hi,

> I wonder if anyone knows what's going on.  I've upgraded my kernel to a
> newer one, and I went to change my /etc/lilo.conf file to get it to boot
> into it correctly.  So far so good, the online documentation was fine.

> So now I had Windows, the older kernel and the newer kernel as options.
> So far so good.

> Then I decided to delete the older kernel.  I deleted any of the files
> that
> had anything related to the older kernel from /boot.  I then changed
> lilo.conf to remove the entry for the older kernel aswell.

> I restart my computer and I get the exact same boot options - Windows,
> Older kernel and new kernel.

> After a bit of digging, I found there was a different file called
> /etc/lilo.conf~ which had my old settings to boot.  So this file was
> probably the one it was using to choose my boot options.  Why is that?

> Also, it's weird because this old lilo.conf~ file which has the old kernel
> still as an option runs fine.

> image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
>         label="linux"
>         read-only
>         root="/dev/hda4"

> When I select "linux" from Lilo, it boots into Linux fine, even there is
> no "/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-1", (not even a hidden file of that name).

> Here's a copy of linux.conf~ file in all its entirity:

> boot="/dev/hda"
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout="50"
> message=/boot/message
> lba32
> default=Windows

> image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
>         label="linux"
>         read-only
>         root="/dev/hda4"

> other=/dev/hda1
>         optional
>         label=Windows

> image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-12"
>         label="LinuxNew"
>         root="/dev/hda4"
>         read-only

> (the linux.conf file is the same, just without the /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
> image).

> Any help appreciated,

> Michael

1. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there

Greetings,

I don't know how, but somehow when I try to update lilo and I run
/sbin/lilo, I get the message:
/etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory

I run 'file /etc/lilo.conf' and it confirms that the file is there and
nothing else is unusual about it.

Running lilo -v only shows the credits to the author then prints that same
message.

Running lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf gives the same message.

I've verified that all files I refer to within lilo.conf are valid.

I've also put "garbage" at the first line of the file and gotten no error,
which makes me think that lilo really isn't able to open the file for some
reason.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks much,
-Nick

2. How SCO Unix May, Itself, Have Code Ripped-Off From Both Linux and BSD Unix

3. lilo.conf ignored by lilo at boot time

4. Is there a "kvm.h" equivalent in BSD4.3 and Ultrix?

5. Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

6. is MWM available for Linux

7. LILO/lilo.conf question?

8. Getting rid of the FreeBSD Copyright Message when user logs in

9. LILO - Can I add a command line argument to /etc/lilo.conf?

10. LILO not reading LILO.CONF

11. Lilo bombs on append line in lilo.conf

12. Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem

13. LILO no kernel, no lilo.conf, reboot cycle.