need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Bo » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
and/or  nt...

I know there are several PAY applications, but it doesn't make sense
for me to buy 1, as often as I will use this app - I only need it
once in a while to do minor maintenance....

does anyone know of such an animal?

tia - Bob
Definition of Windows 95:

A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Larry Elmor » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> and/or  nt...

> I know there are several PAY applications, but it doesn't make sense
> for me to buy 1, as often as I will use this app - I only need it
> once in a while to do minor maintenance....

> does anyone know of such an animal?

I don't know if this will do what you're looking for, but have you looked at
Cygwin from Cygnus?
Check out http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/
I think the beta version is still free for download.

Larry

Post by Donny Springe » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> and/or  nt...

> I know there are several PAY applications, but it doesn't make sense
> for me to buy 1, as often as I will use this app - I only need it
> once in a while to do minor maintenance....

> does anyone know of such an animal?

> tia - Bob
> Definition of Windows 95:

> A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
> designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
> doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

Theres a program called X-Win32 for download at http://www.starnet.com
Its shareware but the only limitation is that you can only use for 2
hours straight at a time before you have to restart it. So for your
usage, that probably a limitation you can live with.

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> and/or  nt...

AFAIK, there are none. Somebody pointed you to the Cygwin tools, but those
are ports of assorted GNU tools to Windows, but not not an X server. I
heard a rumor recently that somebody may be working on a port of XFree86
to Windows, but I don't have a URL, and the impression I got is that it's
not really usable yet.

There is a $25 X server from MicroImage (http://www.microimages.com/mix/),
which is the lowest-priced one of which I'm aware, aside from demo
versions. If a $0 price tag is really critical, look into VNC
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). VNC isn't an X server per
se, but it does much the same job, and so may be an acceptable substitute,
depending on your exact needs.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Matt Tri » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Check out MIX from MicroImages http://www.microimages.com/mix/

It WAS free, but I noticed they are now charging $25 for it :(

Cheers,

Matt
=)

> [Posted and mailed]

> > looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> > and/or  nt...

> AFAIK, there are none. Somebody pointed you to the Cygwin tools, but those
> are ports of assorted GNU tools to Windows, but not not an X server. I
> heard a rumor recently that somebody may be working on a port of XFree86
> to Windows, but I don't have a URL, and the impression I got is that it's
> not really usable yet.

> There is a $25 X server from MicroImage (http://www.microimages.com/mix/),
> which is the lowest-priced one of which I'm aware, aside from demo
> versions. If a $0 price tag is really critical, look into VNC
> (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). VNC isn't an X server per
> se, but it does much the same job, and so may be an acceptable substitute,
> depending on your exact needs.

> --

> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
> Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Matt Tri » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Check out MIX from MicroImages http://www.microimages.com/mix/

It WAS free, but I noticed they are now charging $25 for it :(

Cheers,

Matt
=)

> [Posted and mailed]

> > looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> > and/or  nt...

> AFAIK, there are none. Somebody pointed you to the Cygwin tools, but those
> are ports of assorted GNU tools to Windows, but not not an X server. I
> heard a rumor recently that somebody may be working on a port of XFree86
> to Windows, but I don't have a URL, and the impression I got is that it's
> not really usable yet.

> There is a $25 X server from MicroImage (http://www.microimages.com/mix/),
> which is the lowest-priced one of which I'm aware, aside from demo
> versions. If a $0 price tag is really critical, look into VNC
> (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). VNC isn't an X server per
> se, but it does much the same job, and so may be an acceptable substitute,
> depending on your exact needs.

> --

> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
> Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Craig L. Chin » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Check this out:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

Cheers,
Craig

Quote:> looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> and/or  nt...

> I know there are several PAY applications, but it doesn't make sense
> for me to buy 1, as often as I will use this app - I only need it
> once in a while to do minor maintenance....

> does anyone know of such an animal?

> tia - Bob
> Definition of Windows 95:

> A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
> designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
> doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

need X terminal for windows 9x/nt IDEAS?

Post by Flux » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I use Astec-X.  It's demo version has no time-limit, but expires usually
about once per quarter.  It's a nice package and works fairly well for
what I need.  Check it out at
http://www.astec.co.jp/ENGLISH/ASTECX/TRIAL/

Regards,
Flux.

Post by Lew Pitche » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Check out MIX from MicroImages http://www.microimages.com/mix/

> It WAS free, but I noticed they are now charging $25 for it :(

It still _is_ free, in that if you download their _free_ GIS package,
you get the Mi/X X server free, bundled in it.

If you don't want to download the entire package, the Mi/X server
is $25.00 as a separate package.

> Cheers,

> Matt
> =)

> > [Posted and mailed]

> > > looking for a FREE x terminal application that runs under windows 98,
> > > and/or  nt...

> > AFAIK, there are none. Somebody pointed you to the Cygwin tools, but those
> > are ports of assorted GNU tools to Windows, but not not an X server. I
> > heard a rumor recently that somebody may be working on a port of XFree86
> > to Windows, but I don't have a URL, and the impression I got is that it's
> > not really usable yet.

> > There is a $25 X server from MicroImage (http://www.microimages.com/mix/),
> > which is the lowest-priced one of which I'm aware, aside from demo
> > versions. If a $0 price tag is really critical, look into VNC
> > (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). VNC isn't an X server per
> > se, but it does much the same job, and so may be an acceptable substitute,
> > depending on your exact needs.

> > --

> > http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
> > Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training