Mailers / mailer programs

Post by kill » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:12:28

Anyone have any good mailers i could down load, im using kmail right now
and i am very disspleased!

Mailers / mailer programs

Post by Jeff Silverma » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:57:40

> Anyone have any good mailers i could down load, im using kmail right now
> and i am very disspleased!

Can you be more specific?  I find that in some environments, kmail works
quite nicely and in others it doesn't.  I think that on a machine that
is too slow, it becomes unreliable because the protocols time out too
soon, but I am not sure.

At the moment, I am using Mozilla 0.9.9 and it is slow,too; but it seems
to work reliably.

I am really quite fond of pine which you can get from the University of
Washington.  It is VT-100 style, very fast, reliable as hell.  I usually
go through my mail once in pine and get rid of the SPAM and then go back
through the remaining mail with Mozilla.

I'd really like to know in particular why you don't like kmail.   Thank you.

Jeff

Mailers / mailer programs

Post by mjt » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:10:10

> Anyone have any good mailers i could down load, im using kmail right now
> and i am very disspleased!

... that's a pretty open-ended statement (ie no details). that would
be like someone saying 'i dont like my car, what should i get'. if
you dont say what you're looking for or what you dont like about
kmail, no one can actually [and intelligently] answer

Mailers / mailer programs

Post by Shau » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:07:41

> > Anyone have any good mailers i could down load, im using kmail right now
> > and i am very disspleased!

> Can you be more specific?  I find that in some environments, kmail works
> quite nicely and in others it doesn't.  I think that on a machine that
> is too slow, it becomes unreliable because the protocols time out too
> soon, but I am not sure.

> At the moment, I am using Mozilla 0.9.9 and it is slow,too; but it seems
> to work reliably.

> I am really quite fond of pine which you can get from the University of
> Washington.  It is VT-100 style, very fast, reliable as hell.  I usually
> go through my mail once in pine and get rid of the SPAM and then go back
> through the remaining mail with Mozilla.

> I'd really like to know in particular why you don't like kmail.   Thank
you.

> Jeff

Evolution, Gnome thing, runs in GUI. A bit like Outlook - u know, calender,
notes etc

Mailers / mailer programs

Post by Rob Warr » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:42:15

> Anyone have any good mailers i could down load, im using kmail right now
> and i am very disspleased!

Depends on your needs.  There are a lot of quality mail programs available
for Linux, and most cater to specific needs and/or desires.

Personally, I'm a big Mutt fan, but I like powerful tools that use their
resources pretty responsibly; GUI interfaces are optional.  (Mutt's a
console-mode-only mail app.)

Most everyone you ask will mention their own pet choice.  You'll find this
also tends to extend to everything in the Linux world.

Rob Warren                                   AIM: Greslin2

Tampa, Florida                               http://www.greslin.org

1. GnuPG / mailer problem: How to find out where the mailer is wrong ?

Hi fellow linuxers,

hope this is not the wrong place to ask this - if it is, just ignore me or
give back a flame that's worth a giggle or two ...,;-)

1. the setting

gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1  (also tried 1.0.4)
Ximian evolution 1.1.2 Beta 2 (also tried 1.0.8 final)
KMail 1.3.1

2. the problem

I am trying to encrypt to a public key that is somewhat special, in that
it has two User-IDs, one of which does *not* contain an email address,
like this:

uid                            John Doe
sub  4096g/G8456233 2002-08-18 [expires: 2004-08-18]

For KMail this is no problem: If the message is addressed to the exact UID

KMail is unsure about the key to encrypt to, it simply brings up a
selection dialog.

Ximian evolution on the other hand seems to pass something different to
gpg, and as a consequence, in the process of encrypting a message to such
a key, I get an error message back saying that gpg "can't find a valid
recipient". Even typing the recipients exact user-ID does not help.

3. what I have tried

I did a regular expression search in the config files (located in
~/evolution/ ) for terms like 'gpg', but didn't find any clues.

I have tried to 'strace -ff -v -o debug.pid evolution' but this didn't
produce any useful output (e.g. the options that gpg is called up with)

4. the question

What else could I do, or where else could I look in order to find out what
evolution does differently with gpg ?

I really like evolution as it is some of the best integrated solutions,
but without working gpg integration it is useless for me.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments !

Cheers,

Martin

2. Sound Blaster Live and fstab

3. Solaris 'Mailer' program cannot read UNIX Mail Files???

4. 64 head/32 sector v. 255 head/63 sector conflict with fdisk? adaptec2940/seagate ST3243ON

5. vacation program responding to Mailer-Daemon?

6. RedHat: Can it be installed from 1.2M FD?

7. Sending string to program from mailer

8. Q: netls problem

9. Programming a mailer daemon.

10. Re-directed mail to a program causes Sendmail to issue the error: 119, unknown mailer error.

11. mailer program died with signal 13

12. File Mailer (Cut out the boring bits, use my program!)

13. Mailer program died - Signal 13