Why don't I have /proc/net with net-2?

Post by Steve Steinbe » Fri, 02 Jul 1993 01:33:56

I am having problems with net-2, you may have seen my earlier post.  Why
wouldn't I have a /proc/net?  Is this the underlying problem?  Everythin
install fine with no kernel compile errors.  Ifconfig bombs out.

Where/when is /proc/net created?

Please help,

steve

  =  Sure, come on down, but we're in Jamaica, NY, not the Carribean! =
  =====         THE SPACE BELOW LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK          =====

Post by je.. » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 20:07:03

> I am having problems with net-2, you may have seen my earlier post.  Why
> wouldn't I have a /proc/net?  Is this the underlying problem?  Everythin
> install fine with no kernel compile errors.  Ifconfig bombs out.

> Where/when is /proc/net created?

> Please help,

> steve
> --

A previous post said that _YOU_ had to create the /proc/net directory.

I cant verify this, since I am running 99pl9.

-jesse

Post by Ian Jacks » Mon, 12 Jul 1993 01:45:16

>> [...]
>> Where/when is /proc/net created?

>A previous post said that _YOU_ had to create the /proc/net directory.

This is incorrect.

If you have /proc mounted at all, then /proc/net should be in it
automatically.  If it isn't you're probably not running the kernel you
think you are.

If you don't have anything under proc you need to
  mount -t proc none /proc
and put
none            /proc           proc    defaults
in your /etc/fstab so that it is automatically mounted at boot-time.

--

35 Molewood Close, Cambridge, CB4 3SR, England;  phone: +44 223 327029
PGP2 public key on request; fingerprint = 5906F687 BD03ACAD 0D8E602E FCF37657

1. /proc/net/tcp and /proc/net/udp

I'm trying to figure out how to debug these files outputs. I have already
made my own tripwire ids component, I would like to now make a program that
makes certain the kernel isn't patched (i.e.: lkm root kit) and make sure I
can see my program listening on a port from netstat, and this file, I will
also send/recv data but thats not really related to /proc heh. I was just
wondering does someone know where the por is? I get each connection is a
line... and it has a number... but like almost everything is in hex I think
and "man proc" isn't very helpful in telling you what the information in
the files mean. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Installing PERL

3. ipv4: move proc stuff from net/ipv4/af_inet.c to net/ipv4/proc.c

4. The "who" command returns nothing

5. /proc/net/route, /proc/net/rt_cach, sysctl ??

6. how to get out of man???

7. nmap from net a to net B, don't work, but ping yes

8. Best ISDN card

9. Profile of this group's net.kook, Don (oldno7@comcast.net)

10. Why don't I have "net/ethernet.h"?

11. samba: 'net view \\server' works, 'net view' fails

12. /proc/dev/net doesnt show all net device

13. move /proc/net/udp support back to net/ipv4/udp.c