How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:07:30

<snip>

Quote:> This actually worked. I did this and found "www.ohmster.com" on my webmin
> screen. I put it back the way it was though because...

Why?

Quote:

> ...changine my host name from "ohmster" to "www.ohmster.com" gave me a
> funky console prompt of:

This is as expected.  It is the hostname in the prompt.  You can change the
prompt however you want.

> Didn't much care for that. Also this may cause samba problems as I have a
> few directories shared out to the XP machines. Having weird dot or space
> names for host names generally gives problems with networking (I think.).
> My machine name used to be "ohmster.com" and I constantly had networking
> problems as my XP machine was named "ohmster". The windows networking
stuff
> was horribly erratic and one day windows just *ed about two machines
> having the same name during a boot, so I named the linux machine "ohmster"
> and the XP machine "missy". Problems solved.

This is a lack of understanding of windows networking and samba, along with
the protocols involved.

Quote:

> Also I really think that a *nix machine is supposed to have a single name
> such as "bob", "ohmster", "mary", "router", or whatever because if the
> domain is ohmster.com, then the machine, named ohmster, would then be
> ohmster.ohmster.com. Same as if machine were named mary, then it would be
> mary.ohmster.com, or at least this is the way that I think is is supposed
> to be.

Yes and no.  You can also have hostname aliases.  Consider this, in your
hosts file:

192.168.0.20        www       www.ohmster.com
192.168.0.20        ohmster    ohmster.ohmster.com

Quote:

> I did add an leave DOMAINNAME=OHMSTER.COM in /etc/sysconfig/network
though.
> Seems like a machine should know what domain it belongs to but, alas, we
> are back to "Version 1.090 on localhost.localdomain (Redhat Linux 8.0)" on
> the webmin screen.

Webmin is designed to pick up the hostname otherwise you will have to hack
the code per my original suggestion.

Quote:

> Appreciate the help. Are we getting closer? <g>

Based on your original request, you were already there.

ken k

Post by Ohmste » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:00:28

Quote:>> This actually worked. I did this and found "www.ohmster.com" on my
>> webmin screen. I put it back the way it was though because...

> Why?

See reasons (or reservations) below...

Quote:>> ...changine my host name from "ohmster" to "www.ohmster.com" gave me
>> a funky console prompt of:

> This is as expected.  It is the hostname in the prompt.  You can
> change the prompt however you want.

Instructions please? (Or at least a decent pointer.)

>> Didn't much care for that. Also this may cause samba problems as I
>> have a few directories shared out to the XP machines. Having weird
>> dot or space names for host names generally gives problems with
>> networking (I think.). My machine name used to be "ohmster.com" and I
>> constantly had networking problems as my XP machine was named
>> "ohmster". The windows networking
> stuff
>> was horribly erratic and one day windows just *ed about two
>> machines having the same name during a boot, so I named the linux
>> machine "ohmster" and the XP machine "missy". Problems solved.

> This is a lack of understanding of windows networking and samba, along
> with the protocols involved.

Your student yields rapt attention. Please go on with this issue. You will
get an apple on your desk tomorrow.

Quote:>> Also I really think that a *nix machine is supposed to have a single
>> name such as "bob", "ohmster", "mary", "router", or whatever because
>> if the domain is ohmster.com, then the machine, named ohmster, would
>> then be ohmster.ohmster.com. Same as if machine were named mary, then
>> it would be mary.ohmster.com, or at least this is the way that I
>> think is is supposed to be.

> Yes and no.  You can also have hostname aliases.  Consider this, in
> your hosts file:

> 192.168.0.20        www       www.ohmster.com
> 192.168.0.20        ohmster    ohmster.ohmster.com

Ahhhhh, is this a good thing? Why would one make an alias like this and how
does it work? Since the same IP is repeated twice, doesn't this "confuse"
linux? (For lack of a better term.) My linux IP is 192.168.0.1. On this
issue of IP addresses, mine is semi-dynamic. It could change, hardly ever
does, but it could. I use DHCP to connect with eth0, machine is always on.
I use the no-ip binary to contact the DNS service every 5 minutes to make
sure the DNS for the domain is correct. For this reason, I don't think I
could "hard code" my IP address into the host file. Is there some way to
"script" or "crone" it in the host file or is this not necessary?

Quote:> Based on your original request, you were already there.

Well perhaps I was but I want to know what the heck I am doing and make
sure it will not cause other problems. The joy of learning linux, you see.
;>)

Quote:> ken k

Thank you Ken.

--
~Ohmster

Post by Ohmste » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:01:15

Quote:> As above. You would not want to alias www.ohmster.com else you'll not be
> able to connect to the webserver using that URL. As it is the local
> address I added local for that reason.

> Using the above host file, you should be able to attach to:

> https://local.ohmster.com:10000

> Which should change the name as you asked. I actually use a different
> Theme for webmin from
> http://www.deependhulla.com/

> Excellent Theme, folder view.

Thanks Dave. The theme is pretty neat too. I installed it.

--
~Ohmster

Post by TowerOfPow » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:39:47

> Do it like this:

> EDIT /etc/sysconfig/network

> HOSTNAME="www.yourdomain.com"
> DOMAINNAME="yourdomain.com"

> EDIT /etc/hosts

> your_ip_addy <tab> www.yourdomain.com <tab> www

> REBOOT
> This actually worked. I did this and found "www.ohmster.com" on my webmin
> screen. I put it back the way it was though because...

> ...changine my host name from "ohmster" to "www.ohmster.com" gave me a
> funky console prompt of:

> (Logged in as ohmster.)

> Didn't much care for that.

The console prompt is correct, nothing funky about that.
The last field in /etc/hosts is an alias for your system, if you do
not want 'www' change it to what you want.  Change it to 'ohmster' and

Post by Ohmste » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:12:17

> The console prompt is correct, nothing funky about that.
> The last field in /etc/hosts is an alias for your system, if you do
> not want 'www' change it to what you want.  Change it to 'ohmster' and

Yeah I changed it to ohmster. Thanks.

--
~Ohmster