How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:09:33

I am using Webmin and Usermin on my Red Hat 8.0 machine and it really is
quite nice. One thing bugs me though, my webim and usermin screens show:

"Version 1.090 on localhost.localdomain (Redhat Linux 8.0)"

I have a FQDN and my apache server is setup for it. Webmin and usermin are
the only things that report this localhost stuff on the screen. Is there a
way to change this so that it actually reports the correct domain name
instead of localhost.localdomain?

This is not a terrible thing but it does bug me a bit. I would like my
users to see something a little more professional than that. <g>

--
~Ohmster

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by SINNE » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:20:21

While strolling through comp.os.linux, Ohmster was overheard plotting:

Quote:> I am using Webmin and Usermin on my Red Hat 8.0 machine and it really is
> quite nice. One thing bugs me though, my webim and usermin screens show:
> "Version 1.090 on localhost.localdomain (Redhat Linux 8.0)"
> I have a FQDN and my apache server is setup for it. Webmin and usermin are
> the only things that report this localhost stuff on the screen. Is there a
> way to change this so that it actually reports the correct domain name
> instead of localhost.localdomain?
> This is not a terrible thing but it does bug me a bit. I would like my
> users to see something a little more professional than that. <g>

add an alias in your host file:
127.0.0.2           what.you.want.to.connect.to

and then connect to webmin via

https://what.you.want.to.connect.to:10000/

--
David
You have many friends and very few living enemies.

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:53:51

Quote:> add an alias in your host file:
> 127.0.0.2           what.you.want.to.connect.to

> and then connect to webmin via

> https://what.you.want.to.connect.to:10000/

David,

Here is my host file:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost ohmster
192.168.0.2     cindy
192.168.0.3     missy

I can connect as www.ohmster.com (DNS provided by no-ip.com) but still get
the localhost.localdomain line in webmin. I was hesitant about taking the
localhost.localdomain line out of /etc/host because of the warning that you
see. My FQDN is ohmster.com (www, ftp, & mail). What should my host file
look like for this setup?

Thanks.

--
~Ohmster

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:10:02

Quote:> I am using Webmin and Usermin on my Red Hat 8.0 machine and it really is
> quite nice. One thing bugs me though, my webim and usermin screens show:

> "Version 1.090 on localhost.localdomain (Redhat Linux 8.0)"

> I have a FQDN and my apache server is setup for it. Webmin and usermin are
> the only things that report this localhost stuff on the screen. Is there a
> way to change this so that it actually reports the correct domain name
> instead of localhost.localdomain?

> This is not a terrible thing but it does bug me a bit. I would like my
> users to see something a little more professional than that. <g>

> --
> ~Ohmster

Log in to Webmin.  Select  WEBMIN -> WEBMIN CONFIGURATION -> AUTHENTICATION
and then uncheck the "show hostname on login screen".

I'm assuming this is what you're looking for.

ken k

Post by Ohmste » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:00:37

Quote:> add an alias in your host file:
> 127.0.0.2           what.you.want.to.connect.to

> and then connect to webmin via

> https://what.you.want.to.connect.to:10000/

> --
> David
> You have many friends and very few living enemies.

David,

Here is my host file:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost ohmster
192.168.0.2     cindy
192.168.0.3     missy

I can connect as www.ohmster.com (DNS provided by no-ip.com) but still get
the localhost.localdomain line in webmin. I was hesitant about taking the
localhost.localdomain line out of /etc/host because of the warning that you
see. My FQDN is ohmster.com (www, ftp, & mail). What should my host file
look like for this setup?

Thanks.

--
~Ohmster

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:01:26

Quote:> Log in to Webmin.  Select  WEBMIN -> WEBMIN CONFIGURATION ->
> AUTHENTICATION and then uncheck the "show hostname on login screen".

> I'm assuming this is what you're looking for.

> ken k

Yeah, if nothing else works then that will. See my reply to Dave about the
host file and see if you think it needs adjusting. Thanks for your help.

--
~Ohmster

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by TowerOfPow » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:43:36

To change the hostname on Red Hat, you need to update the HOSTNAME
field under /etc/sysconfig/network if you want the change to keep
after a reset.

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:58:51

Quote:> To change the hostname on Red Hat, you need to update the HOSTNAME
> field under /etc/sysconfig/network if you want the change to keep
> after a reset.

I did change the hostname to ohmster (machine name) but I would like
www.ohmster.com to show up in webmin. Not quite sure how to do this, see
earlier replies for my hosts file.

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=ohmster

--
~Ohmster

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:42:30

> > Log in to Webmin.  Select  WEBMIN -> WEBMIN CONFIGURATION ->
> > AUTHENTICATION and then uncheck the "show hostname on login screen".

> > I'm assuming this is what you're looking for.

> > ken k

> Yeah, if nothing else works then that will. See my reply to Dave about the
> host file and see if you think it needs adjusting. Thanks for your help.

> --
> ~Ohmster

Edit /usr/libexec/webmin/lang/en.  Change session_mesg.  The $1 variable
substitutes your machine name. Replace $1 with your machine name.  This
should change the login prompt.

ken k

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:50:44

> > To change the hostname on Red Hat, you need to update the HOSTNAME
> > field under /etc/sysconfig/network if you want the change to keep
> > after a reset.

> I did change the hostname to ohmster (machine name) but I would like
> www.ohmster.com to show up in webmin. Not quite sure how to do this, see
> earlier replies for my hosts file.

> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=ohmster

> --
> ~Ohmster

If you set your domain name to ohmster.com then this would actually display
ohmster.ohmster.com.  <hostname>.<domainname>   You would need to basically
set your hostname to www.  Set your domainname to ohmster.com and then put
www.ohmster.com in your hosts file.  Then make sure that you have webmin
listening on www.ohmster.com and not localhost or 127.0.0.1.

ken k

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:03:28

Quote:> If you set your domain name to ohmster.com then this would actually
> display ohmster.ohmster.com.  <hostname>.<domainname>   You would need
> to basically set your hostname to www.  Set your domainname to
> ohmster.com and then put www.ohmster.com in your hosts file.  Then
> make sure that you have webmin listening on www.ohmster.com and not
> localhost or 127.0.0.1.

Let me see if I am following you right on this Ken. I already have my host
name set as "ohmster". I had it set previously to "ohmster.com" but thought
that a host name was a machine name so the host name should be just plaing
"ohmster". When I had it set as ohmster.com, my Windows shares would only
see the machine as ohmster, not ohmster.com. This caused a real problem
because my Windows XP machine was named "ohmster" and my linux machine was
named "ohmster.com". Windows networking saw the names as being the same and
I had all kind of funky networking problems because of this until I just
named my Windows machine "missy".

So how does one set a domain name then in this case? You mean with
httpd.conf? I have already done this. Is there another way to set a domain
name? So to put www.ohmster.com in my hosts file, what IP should I give it
then? My IP address is slightly dynamic, it could possible change, I use an
IP updater from no-ip.com to handle that if it occurs. They provide the
DNS. Currently I have this in my host file:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost ohmster
192.168.0.2     cindy
192.168.0.3     missy

Where can I put the www.ohmster.com part? Notice the "scary" warning not to
change the 127.0.0.1. What to do?

Thanks for helping Ken.

--
~Ohmster

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:04:38

Quote:> Edit /usr/libexec/webmin/lang/en.  Change session_mesg.  The $1 variable
> substitutes your machine name. Replace $1 with your machine name.  This
> should change the login prompt.

I looked at this option, per your recommendation, and I think this is not
the way to go. This might mess up webmin/usermin and there must be some
other way. I am really not even sure how or where to edit this file.

Thank you.

--
~Ohmster

Post by TowerOfPow » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:49:20

> > > To change the hostname on Red Hat, you need to update the HOSTNAME
> > > field under /etc/sysconfig/network if you want the change to keep
> > > after a reset.

Do it like this:

EDIT /etc/sysconfig/network

HOSTNAME="www.yourdomain.com"
DOMAINNAME="yourdomain.com"

EDIT /etc/hosts

your_ip_addy <tab> www.yourdomain.com <tab> www

REBOOT

Post by SINNE » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:09:23

While strolling through comp.os.linux, Ohmster was overheard plotting:

>> add an alias in your host file:
>> 127.0.0.2           what.you.want.to.connect.to
>> and then connect to webmin via
>> https://what.you.want.to.connect.to:10000/
> David,
> Here is my host file:
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost ohmster
> 127.0.0.2       local.ohmster.com
> 192.168.0.2     cindy
> 192.168.0.3     missy

> I can connect as www.ohmster.com (DNS provided by no-ip.com) but still get
> the localhost.localdomain line in webmin. I was hesitant about taking the
> localhost.localdomain line out of /etc/host because of the warning that you
> see. My FQDN is ohmster.com (www, ftp, & mail). What should my host file
> look like for this setup?
> Thanks.

As above. You would not want to alias www.ohmster.com else you'll not be
able to connect to the webserver using that URL. As it is the local
address I added local for that reason.

Using the above host file, you should be able to attach to:

https://local.ohmster.com:10000

Which should change the name as you asked. I actually use a different
Theme for webmin from
http://www.deependhulla.com/

Excellent Theme, folder view.

--
David
Your wig steers the gig.

How do I get the "localhost.localdomain" off Webmin screen?

Post by Ohmste » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:29:18

Quote:> Do it like this:

> EDIT /etc/sysconfig/network

> HOSTNAME="www.yourdomain.com"
> DOMAINNAME="yourdomain.com"

> EDIT /etc/hosts

> your_ip_addy <tab> www.yourdomain.com <tab> www

> REBOOT

This actually worked. I did this and found "www.ohmster.com" on my webmin
screen. I put it back the way it was though because...

...changine my host name from "ohmster" to "www.ohmster.com" gave me a
funky console prompt of:

(Logged in as ohmster.)

Didn't much care for that. Also this may cause samba problems as I have a
few directories shared out to the XP machines. Having weird dot or space
names for host names generally gives problems with networking (I think.).
My machine name used to be "ohmster.com" and I constantly had networking
problems as my XP machine was named "ohmster". The windows networking stuff
was horribly erratic and one day windows just *ed about two machines
having the same name during a boot, so I named the linux machine "ohmster"
and the XP machine "missy". Problems solved.

Also I really think that a *nix machine is supposed to have a single name
such as "bob", "ohmster", "mary", "router", or whatever because if the
domain is ohmster.com, then the machine, named ohmster, would then be
ohmster.ohmster.com. Same as if machine were named mary, then it would be
mary.ohmster.com, or at least this is the way that I think is is supposed
to be.

I did add an leave DOMAINNAME=OHMSTER.COM in /etc/sysconfig/network though.
Seems like a machine should know what domain it belongs to but, alas, we
are back to "Version 1.090 on localhost.localdomain (Redhat Linux 8.0)" on
the webmin screen.

...sigh.

Appreciate the help. Are we getting closer? <g>

--
~Ohmster

1. Simple "mail" thinks I'm at localhost.localdomain

     Using simple "mail" in a script, it says I am

message) even though all other facets of the networking software appear to
be properly configured. I wrote a couple of quickies and verified that
gethostname(2) and so forth are all returning the configured values, not
"localhost.localdomain".
     One final clue: I can use "nail" (not "mail") with a "-r

accept and forward the message.
     Anyone know where "mail" gets the host's name and domain? ("nail"

     Thanks!

2. IQR Timeout on my second HD

4. Help: java SIGSEGV

6. Plato 2nd serial port - FIXED!

7. "127.1" works, but "localhost" does not!

8. problem with newsyslog and apache

9. Auditing an "audit on" and/or "audit off"

10. "Cisco's and RPC", or "Booting suns from off-subnet servers"

11. can't recover "fsck" after power off without "init 0"

12. help --- can't recover "fsck" after power off without "init 0"

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...