XFree86 1.3 - No accelerated Chipsets

Post by Christian Huebn » Fri, 18 Jun 1993 14:02:12

Hi!

In the docs to XS3 they say XFree86 1.3 would support S3 cards.
But as I read the announcement today I noticed that no accelerated
chipset is supported. As XS3 is still quite buggy (especially the
Orchid Fahrenheit has problems with it), I wondered, if there
still is development done os XS3.

I have the version 0.4.4, which makes impossible to work at 70 Hz
in 1024x768. My question is, is there any new version of XS3 coming,
or will I have to switch to another brand od videocard? Do any
hacks exist ( I heard a rumor ), to use the Elsa 1000 VLB with
Linux?

Thanks, and happy linuxing...

I am hoping now for XFree86 2.0 . If You XFree86 developers are
looking for (S3-)ALPHA-testers, just send me a message.

Post by Orest Zborows » Sat, 19 Jun 1993 05:59:40

>Hi!
>In the docs to XS3 they say XFree86 1.3 would support S3 cards.
>But as I read the announcement today I noticed that no accelerated
>chipset is supported. As XS3 is still quite buggy (especially the
>Orchid Fahrenheit has problems with it), I wondered, if there
>still is development done os XS3.

XFree86 1.3 was supposed to be a superlight release to fix simple
things after 1.2. It didn't turn out that way. Much more stuff was
added, more testers, more OS's to support and a longer development
cycle added a lot of time.

Accelerator support is coming along nicely. It was progressing while
XFree86 1.3 was being done, and now there is an effort to merge the
work for XFree86 2.0. All of this has been more or less explained
for a while now, from the source of XFree86.

Quote:>I am hoping now for XFree86 2.0 . If You XFree86 developers are
>looking for (S3-)ALPHA-testers, just send me a message.

In a short while another call-to-arms will be made to gather testers for
the new drivers. Keep a lookout!

--
Orest Zborowski (Zorst)

1. Problems w/ Accelerated-X 1.3 & Imagine 128 (2Megs)

Greetings,

        As the old line goes, X won't quite work on my system.  I tried
the Imagine 128 server from XFree86 3.2 with not much in the line of
luck, and Accelerated-X does the same to me.  What Accelerated-X seems
to be doing is splitting my screen in half, taking every other column
which would show up on-screen, and displaying it in each half.  Either
that, or it's just discarding every other column and then repeating the
kept ones and displaying them twice, once on each side.  XFree86 only
gave me annoying lines through everything on the display.
        So, if anyone can offer me some help, it would all be much
appreciated.  My monitor, since I forgot to offer, is a Sony Multiscan
15sfII -- could someone also point me to a monitor database where I
could pick up specs for it?  Thanks.

                                                Couch

2. Apache 1.3.27 problems

3. Accelerated-X 1.3 is not reading the ini-file

4. Utility for dialing ?

5. CMD640 chipset, Fujitsu M1614TAU, linux 1.3.6x doesn't work

6. jdk14 no go on freebsd release 5.0p3

7. ET4000/W32 chipset hangs w/ 1.3+ kernels

8. remove CONFIG_NCR885E from Configure.help

9. X setup--Debian 1.3, SiS 6205 chipset

10. Cirrus 5424 and XFree86.1.3

11. Security hole in xdm in XFree86-1.2, 1.3

12. Question about XFree86-3.1.3 ?

13. ET4000/w32 under XFree86 1.3