Doon't know what the $%^& I'm doing

Post by jdoli.. » Mon, 11 Oct 1993 01:41:22

Hi.  I got Linux (base system) installed - thanks alot to all those who
responded to my first plea for help - however, now I don't know what to
do  - what commands to type, whats available - I know one command -
'cd' to change directories - and thats it - The doc 'Linux installation
and getting started' is not available to me because it is in .gz format
and I don't have a clue about how to get it - I need the UNIX equivelant
of 'DOS for dummies' or whatever - HELP!!

Thanks in advance!

Doon't know what the $%^& I'm doing

Post by r.. » Mon, 11 Oct 1993 04:46:20

: Hi.  I got Linux (base system) installed - thanks alot to all those who
: responded to my first plea for help - however, now I don't know what to
: do  - what commands to type, whats available - I know one command -
: 'cd' to change directories - and thats it - The doc 'Linux installation
: and getting started' is not available to me because it is in .gz format
: and I don't have a clue about how to get it - I need the UNIX equivelant
: of 'DOS for dummies' or whatever - HELP!!

   You want us to give you a complete tutorial on all of the features
available with all of the possible Unix shells?  I think not.  :-)

   Go to a bookstore and get any book on Unix for newusers.  99% of them
will be applicable to Linux.

- Rich
--
Rich Mulvey                 Amateur Radio: N2VDS              Rochester, NY

Doon't know what the $%^& I'm doing

Post by Sunando S » Mon, 11 Oct 1993 08:40:44

>Hi.  I got Linux (base system) installed - thanks alot to all those who
>responded to my first plea for help - however, now I don't know what to
>do  - what commands to type, whats available - I know one command -
>'cd' to change directories - and thats it - The doc 'Linux installation
>and getting started' is not available to me because it is in .gz format
>and I don't have a clue about how to get it - I need the UNIX equivelant
>of 'DOS for dummies' or whatever - HELP!!

>Thanks in advance!

Then get `Unix for Dummies'.  There _is_ such a book.  From the same
publisher who publishes `Dos for Dummies'.  But if you want soemthing a
little bit more useful, I highly recommend `Unix for the Impatient', by
Abrahams & Johnson (Addison-Wesley).

Sunando Sen

Doon't know what the $%^& I'm doing

Post by Daniel Quinl » Mon, 11 Oct 1993 09:38:50

>> [...] I need the UNIX equivelant of 'DOS for dummies' or whatever -
>> HELP!!

>> Thanks in advance!

> Then get `Unix for Dummies'.  There _is_ such a book.  From the same
> publisher who publishes `Dos for Dummies'.  But if you want
> soemthing a little bit more useful, I highly recommend `Unix for the
> Impatient', by Abrahams & Johnson (Addison-Wesley).

Books such as the ever-popular "Dummy" series are only negative.  They
give the image that computers are something that only the intelligent
members of society can handle.  They also treat you like ... a dummy.
If you want to learn something buy a real manual, not one that claims
to make it easy enough for a dummy.

"If you make something easy enough for a fool to use only a fool will
 want to use it."

        - Ancient Saying

Dan
--

Doon't know what the $%^& I'm doing

Post by Philippe Stein » Tue, 12 Oct 1993 06:54:38

: Hi.  I got Linux (base system) installed - thanks alot to all those who
: responded to my first plea for help - however, now I don't know what to
: do  - what commands to type, whats available - I know one command -
: 'cd' to change directories - and thats it - The doc 'Linux installation
: and getting started' is not available to me because it is in .gz format
: and I don't have a clue about how to get it - I need the UNIX equivelant
: of 'DOS for dummies' or whatever - HELP!!

: Thanks in advance!

Hello,

well, there are a zillion books out there explaining a UNIX system, just go
into a book shop and ask for a decent UNIX book explaining the commands and so
on.

happy reading

Philippe

PS: besides: NO, there is now way areound it :)

Doon't know what the $%^& I'm doing

Post by Al Dh » Wed, 13 Oct 1993 04:07:22

Quote:

>"If you make something easy enough for a fool to use only a fool will
> want to use it."

>        - Ancient Saying

Hence the Macintosh and its followers :-)

Just kidding - flames to /dev/null please.

I guess I'll throw my two cents in here:  If you installed Linux without
any prior knowledge of Unix, I have to ask why...  I suspect that you are
a victim of all the "Linux is a great OS" hype and ran out and installed it
without stopping to think whether it would be best _for_you_.  Unless your
goal here is to learn Unix, I recommend you give your quest for Linux a
second thought and perhaps replace it with something more accepted in the
PC marketplace (OS/2, Win, etc).

Linux is terrific for what it is - a port of Unix for PCs.  But if you were
looking for something to use as your desktop OS, I doubt if Linux is what
you were looking for.  I say this based on the fact that you are brand new
to Unix.

  -----------------------------------___-------------------------------------
 | Al Dhir, Programmer Analyst      /___\    UMCP Ag-Engineering Dept        |

  -------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------------

1. Don't really know what I'm doing (fstab/mtab settings)

The "noauto" means to NOT automatically mount at boot time.

Sure it is.

You can use mtools instead, but I beleive that only works for dos/fat
formats?  "mcopy file.txt a:"

--
    keelingATspotsDAWTabDAWTca  TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.
                    Contract programmer, server bum.

2. 2.5.5-dj2 compile failure for aha152x

3. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'

4. Q: Star Office 4.0 on Red Hat 5.1

5. 'bash' does not know 'make'

6. BLISS Archive of CGI and Java goodies

7. 'who' doesn't know who's logged in

8. U2 Drives:

9. Unix's 'rz' & 'sz'

10. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'

11. cvsup doesn't like tags 'ports-all' & 'doc-all'

12. Got free Linux CD's -- don't know how to use 'em

13. Don't know how to set terminal 'dumb' to 8-bit...