device descripter

Post by David Kell » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 02:41:20

> There is no easy way to tell what each device name represents, since
> each driver you load may create one or more names in /dev, and it is
> up to the driver writer to select what name they will use. Or up to
> the system administrator, files oftentimes are created there as
> abbreviations for other devices (e.g. /dev/mouse).

> There are lots of standard devices such as /dev/hd* for disks, etc.
> but there is no easy way to map /dev files to descriptions, in
> general, as far as I know.

> Lee

So what you are saying is that if I write an application that needs
a device descripter, I may have to go ahead and re-invent the wheel
even though a wheel exists.

Is there a list somewhere that covers the standard  kernel items?
i e     hard drive, floppy drives. CD's, IDE, removable, modems,
ethernet, etc.

For instance:   Isn't 'ttyS1' a serial device descripter to describe
a modem port?????

Thanks for the reply.
Dave

device descripter

Post by Andrew Fure » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:25:14

Quote:> Is there a list somewhere that covers the standard  kernel items?
> i e     hard drive, floppy drives. CD's, IDE, removable, modems,
> ethernet, etc.

> For instance:   Isn't 'ttyS1' a serial device descripter to describe
> a modem port?????

You're probably looking for the official device listing, which should be
in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt on your local system. Might
not be the easiest to read, but it is accurate... :)

--

Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)
and Linux experts (http://www.linuxconsultants.com.au) for instant help!