pronunciation

Post by if » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 04:36:47

after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

pronunciation

Post by Lurc » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 05:57:11

> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

it's the first one ( i.e. l - in - nuks ). If you use 'sndconfig', you hear
Linus pronounce the name correctly (that is if your soundcard is working
properly :o))

pronunciation

Post by if » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 06:11:10

>> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
>> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

>it's the first one ( i.e. l - in - nuks ). If you use 'sndconfig', you hear
>Linus pronounce the name correctly (that is if your soundcard is working
>properly :o))

never ran it before.. but thanks! ;) i guess its time to get around to
setting up my sound, to shut my friend up

pronunciation

Post by Wayne Polloc » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:55:02

Actually, listening to that sound byte doesn't help, since Linus
pronounces his own name "Lee-nuss" and not "Lie-nuss".  This vital
question will be hotly debated for decades to come. :-)

-Wayne

> > after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
> > anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

> it's the first one ( i.e. l - in - nuks ). If you use 'sndconfig', you hear
> Linus pronounce the name correctly (that is if your soundcard is working
> properly :o))

pronunciation

Post by Matthew van de Werke » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:15:21

> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

You can get a sound bite of Linus himself saying it with the kernel source.
Look at your favourite local mirror.

Cheers,
MvdW

pronunciation

Post by John McHarr » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:32:41

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:15:21 +1000, Matthew van de Werken

>> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
>> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

>You can get a sound bite of Linus himself saying it with the kernel source.
>Look at your favourite local mirror.

There seems to be a difference between Linus' pronunciation and the
received American pronunciation.  He makes the first vowel a long E,
and the received pronunciation is a short I.  Red Hat tends to use the
short I.  I rather like the ambiguity. It makes you think a bit about
how we Gringos corrupt names.  I have difficulty pronouncing my own
surname as it was intended.  Of course, I originated in Illinois where
howler mispronunciations are almost a matter of pride.

John McHarry  (I tend to say M'cary.  I think the proper is Mac Harry,
with the a as ah, and the accent on the second syllable.  I have heard
Brits use M'Harry, same vowel sound, but reservation clerks in London
seem to catch Mac Harry the easiest.)

_______________________________
people who might like some spam:

pronunciation

Post by Steve Kirkendal » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:16:17

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:15:21 +1000, Matthew van de Werken

> >> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
> >> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

> >You can get a sound bite of Linus himself saying it with the kernel source.
> >Look at your favourite local mirror.

> There seems to be a difference between Linus' pronunciation and the
> received American pronunciation.  He makes the first vowel a long E,
> and the received pronunciation is a short I.  Red Hat tends to use the
> short I.

I favor the short I pronunciation because it rhymes with "Minix", the
progenitor of Linux.

pronunciation

Post by Cy » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 02:11:07

> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take it
> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

I would have to guess l-*short* i-n-*short* u-x

My quasiboss prefers l-*long* i-n-*short* u-x

I really think that both of them are acceptable in almost every situation...

pronunciation

Post by Dichotimus Gro » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:53:04

Yes, and in that sound byte Linus says however you wan' is the right way, or
more accurately there *IS NO RIGHT WAY* to pronounce it.

> >> after a heated debated with a friend of my the other day, i can't take
it
> >> anymore. is it pronounced l-in-ux or l-eye-nux??

> >it's the first one ( i.e. l - in - nuks ). If you use 'sndconfig', you
hear
> >Linus pronounce the name correctly (that is if your soundcard is working
> >properly :o))

> never ran it before.. but thanks! ;) i guess its time to get around to
> setting up my sound, to shut my friend up

1. Pronunciation of "Linux"

        Sorry, but Linus Torvolds (now living in northern California) said in
and interview he does not really care how you pronounce "Linux."

        However, American Linux users are much less tolerant and will point,
snicker and deride you greatly if you insist on calling it "Lye-nux."

        As far as the "proper American" pronunciation, just how do YOU
pronounce the "i's" in "American" and "English?"

2. DB my first one

3. Another pronunciation question

4. how to remove characters?

5. Pronunciation of "Linux"