DIFFERENT Frustrating problem with gcc-2.1

DIFFERENT Frustrating problem with gcc-2.1

Post by Win Be » Thu, 07 May 1992 01:32:52

My problem is as frustrating the famous "line 1: parse error before (",
but of a slightly different nature:  all programs abort with the
message "Memory error".  No core file, though - shouldn't there be
one?  Then again, what would I do with it, since there's no de*?

I'm running 0.95a (booting from 0.95c+), using gcc 2.1 from
tsx-11.mit.edu:  2.1*.tar.Z.  Installation went quite smoothly, there
were no other compilers on my system to conflict with this one, and
programs compile without complaint.  I've got 8 Mb of RAM, so I really
don't think that "Hello, world" is running out of space!

Did I forget some crucial installation step?  If so, why don't
compilations complain about something?

Further details and tests on request.  Being a well-mannered person,
I will summarize to The Net if and when I get results.

--

AT&T - Bell Laboratories    (201) 888-7129
Disclaimer: My company has not authorized me to issue a disclaimer.

DIFFERENT Frustrating problem with gcc-2.1

Post by Jim Bur » Thu, 07 May 1992 10:36:14

Quote:> My problem is as frustrating the famous "line 1: parse error before (",
> but of a slightly different nature:  all programs abort with the
> message "Memory error".  No core file, though - shouldn't there be
> one?  Then again, what would I do with it, since there's no de*?

If you are refering to the ~10 lines of error output that start w/general
protection error : 0000, I had the same problem after installing the
mcc-interim version. Turns out that lib92.04.06.a (or whatever the numbers
are) had to be world-executable. Shared programs worked for root, but no
one else.
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,

uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0178a

Post by Win Be » Thu, 14 May 1992 02:42:16

>My problem is as frustrating the famous "line 1: parse error before (",
>but of a slightly different nature:  all programs abort with the
>message "Memory error".  No core file, though - shouldn't there be
>one?  Then again, what would I do with it, since there's no de*?

The answer is: make sure that lib??.??.?? is installed properly!
In my case, that meant making sure that everything from 2.1misc.tar.Z
was extracted properly and that install/gcc2/inst2.x ran properly
and (HERE'S WHERE I WENT WRONG) that shared/lib/lib92.04.06 is linked
to /lib AND IS EXECUTABLE!!

whom I would like to thank.  By the way, Jim, I did NOT have this symptom:

Quote:>If you are refering to the ~10 lines of error output that start w/general
>protection error : 0000, I had the same problem [...]

All I ever got was a simple "Memory error" - no other clues.  Sheesh.

--

AT&T - Bell Laboratories    (201) 888-7129
Disclaimer: My company has not authorized me to issue a disclaimer.

1. Frustrating problem with gcc-2.1

Well, I tried lot of things before posting this, because it is
probably a stupid question, but I could not do anything about it. So
no flames please.

I'm fairly new to Linux, and decided to try to install it on my 486/33
DTK with 4Mo, and a 120Mo HD
I started installing Linux from scratch (I installed 0.95c+. I use a
swap file of 16Mo). I had no problems at all until I tried installing
gcc-2.1

I took the distribution on nic.funet.fi, I read the FAQ and followed
it step by step. No problems "a priori". Everything went fine.

After running script inst2.x, I tried a little test on the following program
main()
{
int i;
i=0;
printf("%d\n",i);
I ran gcc who said:
line 1: parse error before (

Running gcc-v I saw that cpp went OK but not cc1
I then tried compiling with g++ instead of gcc. There I had a trace
indicating the process had received signal 11.
I then added
#include <stdio.h>
and tried again with g++ -v
This time the program passed cpp, cc1plus, as, and failed in ld which
complained about a very strange option :
--(something like an 8bitchar)-

gcc was still enable to pass cc1, complaining now about a parse error
in stdio.h, line 101

So what? Where did I make a mistake ?
I have installed gcc on my SPARC at work and I never had such
problems. Is there an incompatibility somewhere ?

stupid.

        A desperate user.

2. Setting up Wine

3. GCC-2.8.0 or GCC-2.8.1(alpha?)

4. Help w/ csh script

5. gcc-2.5.8 -> gcc-2.6.3 Help I get an error

6. Call for Beta-Testers for X386 1.2E (X11R5, enhanced)

7. gcc-2.9.xx co-existing with gcc-2.7.2.3?

8. in.bootpd

9. GCC-2.7.2 OR GCC-2.8.1 FOR AIX

10. How to upgrade from gcc-2.7.0 to gcc-2.7.2 ?

11. gcc-2.5.8 vs gcc-2.7.0

12. gcc-2.96 to gcc-2.95

13. Problem mounting SCSI HD in a different computer w/ different Adaptec Controller