Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by LESSEM JEFFREY » Sun, 08 Aug 1993 14:07:56

I know this thread went through a while ago, but I didn't pay much
attention because at the time I wasn't interested.

If it was ever resolved: is there any way to boot Linux using the OS/2
Boot Manager?  Currently OS/2 and Linux are happily coexisting, but I have
to use a Linux boot disk to get to Linux.
Here is my configuration if it helps:
drive 0 / hda
        Boot Manager / hda1 = OS/2 Boot Manager
        d: / hda2 = extended partition from which OS/2 is booted
drive 1 / hdb
        c: / hdb1 = Emergency OS/2 boot partition (fast boot)
        hdb2 = Linux root
        hdb3 = Linux swap

Thanks for any help.
Jeff Lessem

Better living through barbecue.

Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

Quote:}
}
}If it was ever resolved: is there any way to boot Linux using the OS/2
}Boot Manager?  Currently OS/2 and Linux are happily coexisting, but I have
}to use a Linux boot disk to get to Linux.

Yes, It can be done. You really ought to read the Linux faq about it
though... it is kinda tricky, but it works. I ended up using lilo and
everything worked fine.

--
   | Don Smith                                                          |

   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by David S » Mon, 09 Aug 1993 04:23:29

Quote:>If it was ever resolved: is there any way to boot Linux using the OS/2
>Boot Manager?  Currently OS/2 and Linux are happily coexisting, but I have
>to use a Linux boot disk to get to Linux.

yes, it's possible.  what you do is add the linux partition to the
boot manager.  (so when you boot up, you should see the choice for
linux in the menu)  then boot up linux w/ the floppy and etc. and go
into the lilo directory (the exact path escapes me right now).  and
install lilo onto the LINUX PARTITION.  so, in your case you would
install it in hdb2.  if you don't know how to do that, look at the
config file for lilo and change the line for the bootup drive (in
_my_ case it was shown as hda4 and i changed it to hda2, my root
linux partition).  then run install in the lilo directory.  finally,
shut down and reboot.  you might also want to considering changing
the wait time for lilo in the config file too.

doing all this will allow linux to be bootable from the boot manager
and you will no longer need the floppy.

note:  many people said this... but i don't know if it's necessay.
        you should have created the linux partition first via the
        fdisk for os/2.  then install linux and just use linux's
        fdisk to change the partion id to linux/minix.  this is
        what i did when i installed linux so hopefully everything
        will still work out ok for you.

note2:  and if you*up and find that lilo is being booted
        before the boot manager and nothign seems to make it
        go away, use ms-dos and type "fdisk /mbr".  this will
        clean out hte master boot record and kick out lilo.

note3:  all this info is also located somewhere in the linux faq
        (yes... yes... it's huge compared to os/2's :)

Quote:>Here is my configuration if it helps:
>drive 0 / hda
>    Boot Manager / hda1 = OS/2 Boot Manager
>    d: / hda2 = extended partition from which OS/2 is booted
>drive 1 / hdb
>    c: / hdb1 = Emergency OS/2 boot partition (fast boot)
>    hdb2 = Linux root
>    hdb3 = Linux swap

-David Shy

"Please mail me if you think the following still looks like GOOSE"  :)

--
  GGGGGGGG  OOOOOOOOO             OOOOOOOOO   SSSSSSSSS   //  222222222
 G         O       O             O       O   SSSS        //      22222

Post by Wes Sant » Mon, 09 Aug 1993 05:50:49

>}
>}I know this thread went through a while ago, but I didn't pay much
>}attention because at the time I wasn't interested.
>}
>}If it was ever resolved: is there any way to boot Linux using the OS/2
>}Boot Manager?  Currently OS/2 and Linux are happily coexisting, but I have
>}to use a Linux boot disk to get to Linux.

>Yes, It can be done. You really ought to read the Linux faq about it
>though... it is kinda tricky, but it works. I ended up using lilo and
>everything worked fine.

I remember reading a couple of days ago that the new "Slackware"
distribution of Linux (w/ Linux 0.99p12 alpha) included an automatic
setup with OS/2's Boot Manager during the installation.

I'd do it myself, but I ran out of HD space!

Other than that, the instructions are in the Linux faq.  Check out
news.answers or ftp to rtfm.mit.edu.

Cheers,

-Wes Santeew

Post by Peter MacDona » Mon, 09 Aug 1993 13:46:56

>>}
>>}I know this thread went through a while ago, but I didn't pay much
>>}attention because at the time I wasn't interested.
>>}
>>}If it was ever resolved: is there any way to boot Linux using the OS/2
>>}Boot Manager?  Currently OS/2 and Linux are happily coexisting, but I have
>>}to use a Linux boot disk to get to Linux.

>>Yes, It can be done. You really ought to read the Linux faq about it
>>though... it is kinda tricky, but it works. I ended up using lilo and
>>everything worked fine.

Why not boot with lilo, and have it boot OS/2.  This is what I do.
It took 10 seconds to set up.  Append something like

        other=/dev/hda3
        table=/dev/hda
        label=os2

to /etc/lilo/config.  Give boot manager the boot.

Peter

1. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

Hello,

A friend of mine has the following problem. He wants to boot the LINUX OS
from within the OS/2 boot manager boot he was unable to do this. So has
someone tried this before? Is this possible? Will this be solved in a futur release or is this already solved?
Has someone a solution to this problem. Of course one can boot from a
diskette :-)

Romain

2. How to Hardware Reset PC

3. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

4. displaying lines

5. Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

6. StarOffice Beta 4 & XPrinter ?!

7. How to boot Linux with OS/2 boot manager?

8. linux driver for DAC 960E

9. Boot Linux from SCSI (with OS/2 boot manager)

10. booting linux with OS/2 boot manager?

11. How to boot linux with os/2 boot manager?

12. Problems booting linux from OS/2 boot manager

13. Booting Linux through OS/2 Boot Manager