Wanted: Xenix filesystem for Linux beta testers

Wanted: Xenix filesystem for Linux beta testers

Post by Doug Eva » Fri, 24 Jul 1992 14:28:16

Having written a Xenix filesystem for Linux (more on why later :-),
I figure I might as well see if anyone else wants it.

Why? I have gobs of source and data files and don't want two copies of it all
(one for when I boot Xenix and one for when I boot Linux). Now I can boot
either and have access to *one* copy. Of course, I still need separate
binaries, .o's, etc. but no big deal. I also have one news spool directory
and can read news in Xenix or Linux (and mail and uucp logs, etc.).

I also wrote it because I have the CMS Xenix device driver for the Jumbo 250
tape drive. I back up Linux when I back up Xenix! Way cool!

My setup is now:

200MB IDE       30MB DOS
                50MB Xenix (root+swap)
                60MB Linux (root+swap)
                60MB Xenix/Linux (/usr/spool)

1Gig SCSI       100MB DOS
                300MB Xenix/Linux (/home)
                300MB Xenix/Linux (/usr/src)
                360MB Xenix/Linux (/u)

For Linux'ers wanting a *real* filesystem :-) this ain't it. File names are
still max 14 chars and in this case there are no symbolic links.

You also *need* Xenix. I haven't written mkfs/fsck for Linux, but plan
to "sometime". The filesystem was quite easy given that the Minix filesystem
isn't *that* different (they're all SysV variants). The only real difference
(that comes to mind) is the bitmaps vs free list, so I should be able to take
Linux's mkfs/fsck and adapt them.

I don't have Xenix divvy table or badtrk table support, and don't plan to for
the nonce. I just don't need them, and plugging these in seemed to require more
substantial changes to Linux than just plugging in a filesystem.
For my Xenix/Linux filesystems, I just did an mkfs on the entire partition,
and bypassed divvy.

So, any takers? (If so, please email).
--
Doug Evans               | "You're just supposed to sit here?"

1. COMMERCIAL: Beta testers wanted for Linux secure web server.

        CyberPlus is looking for qualified companies to participate in the
beta testing of its forthcoming secure web server software for Linux.

        The following is a quick summary of the qualifications beta testers
must meet:

        1) Must be reasonably familiar with Linux and presently running at
least one Linux system permanently connected to the Internet.

        2) Must presently be running a WWW server (not necessarily on a
Linux machine). If the server is not an SSL server, you must already be
seriously considering upgrading to a secure server within the next three
months.

        3) Have or be willing to purchase a key signature certificate.

        4) Agree not to disclose details about the software until the end of
the beta testing period.

        5) Not use the software commercially in the United States unless they
obtain a commercial RSAREF license from RSA.

        Beta testers will receive in return free use of the software during
the beta testing period and be able to purchase the release version of the
software for $500.

        For more information including the full requirements and

"http://www.cyberplus.com/~secure".

--
Joel Katz                   Corporate Web Pages - http://WWW.CyberPlus.COM
Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux

2. Partition limit in Solaris 2.4?

3. Linux OI beta testers wanted

4. MidiShare source code publishing

5. C/C++ Beta Testers wanted for the Distributed Interface Object System

6. named and missing links

7. WANTED - Beta Testers for Sterling Software’s Upcoming TN3270 Intelligent Access Product

8. ir port adapter ???

9. BETA Testers Wanted

10. Beta Testers Wanted for Simplified PPP System.

11. Beta Testers Wanted

12. Wireless CDPD E-Mail "PUSHER" Beta testers wanted

13. Chipmunk Basic beta tester wanted