Installing Linux from SLS with OS/2

Post by David Leb » Sat, 08 May 1993 12:35:20

        Ok, maybe should I look into the FAQs, maybe I should read this
newsgroup, but I don't have much time to dig out that information for
my very particular case.  Ok, I have 2 hard drives, one 170mb which is
my C: and HPFS formatted with OS/2 on it.  My second hard drive is
a 210mb formatted as one big D:.  What I would like is to put a Boot
Manager partition on my D: drive, format a 80MB HPFS partition for OS/2
and a 120MB partition that I would use for Linux. My primary operating
system would still be OS/2, but still want to install a UN*X os on
my machine.  I don't want to erase my current C: drive (I've too much
stuff installed, and don't have the 150 disks needed to do the backup),
and I'm ready to clean my D: drive and reformat it in the scheme I
told you previously...

        In short, how do I proceed with SLS distribution to install
Linux on my BootManager and be able to install Linux on that
second hard drive's 120MB partition... Any insights?

        Thanks you very much!

--
David 'vectrex' Lebel                 Laboratoire Incognito - Projet Macroscope
UdeM - BSc. Informatique   ,,,        " Whatever you may do to me,

=======================oOO=(_)=OOo=============================================

Post by Matt Wel » Sat, 08 May 1993 14:12:03

>    Ok, maybe should I look into the FAQs, maybe I should read this
>newsgroup, but I don't have much time to dig out that information for
>my very particular case.

The one and only * sin of comp.os.linux! :)

Remember that many of us spend a lot of time writing the FAQ's and replying
to articles on c.o.l to deal with all of those "very particular cases".
Please do your part by reading the docs and the newsgroup before posting.
Even if you think that the FAQ won't help you, you might (God forbid) be
able to figure it out yourself. :)

Quote:>    In short, how do I proceed with SLS distribution to install
>Linux on my BootManager and be able to install Linux on that
>second hard drive's 120MB partition... Any insights?

Simple; with Linux (or OS/2) fdisk create the partition for Linux and
install onto it (depending on whether the drive's SCSI or IDE, use
"/dev/hdb2" or "/dev/sdb2"... assuming you're installing onto the second
partition of the second drive.

Then see the FAQ section III on how to install LILO on that partition's
boot sector, and then add it to Boot Manager.

Please do read the FAQ's. Your case is not *that* particular.

Thanks.
mdw
--

"That kernel's got a mean streak A MILE WIDE!!" --Chip Salzenberg

Post by Timothy Writ » Sun, 09 May 1993 03:03:49

>>        Ok, maybe should I look into the FAQs, maybe I should read this
>>newsgroup, but I don't have much time to dig out that information for
>>my very particular case.
>The one and only * sin of comp.os.linux! :)
>Remember that many of us spend a lot of time writing the FAQ's and replying
>to articles on c.o.l to deal with all of those "very particular cases".
>Please do your part by reading the docs and the newsgroup before posting.
>Even if you think that the FAQ won't help you, you might (God forbid) be
>able to figure it out yourself. :)
>>        In short, how do I proceed with SLS distribution to install
>>Linux on my BootManager and be able to install Linux on that
>>second hard drive's 120MB partition... Any insights?
>Simple; with Linux (or OS/2) fdisk create the partition for Linux and
>install onto it (depending on whether the drive's SCSI or IDE, use
>"/dev/hdb2" or "/dev/sdb2"... assuming you're installing onto the second
>partition of the second drive.

Are you sure?  I'm still new at Linux, but I just installed Linux with OS/2 and I
*did* take the time to read the FAQ.  According to the FAQ, you *must* use OS/2's
fdisk to create the Linux partitions, otherwise OS/2 will trash them.  You can
also use OS/2's fdisk to mark your Linux partition bootable.  Now, when you
install Linux, you don't use fdisk to make partitions.  However, you do use it to
change the type of your Linux partitions to Linux/MINIX.  The you can mke2fsWhen you At the same
time, you can use OS/2

Here's what I would do:

1.  Use OS/2's fdisk to partition your second drive.  If you are already using
    OS/2's boot manager, you don't need to install it again.  If not, make it the
    first partition of your second drive.  Make sure you mark the Linux partition
    bootable.

2.  Now, boot from disk a1 of SLS.  Once the system comes up, use fdisk to change
    the type of your Linux partition to type 81 (Linux/MINIX).

3.  Shutdown and boot a second time from disk a1 to update the partition table.
    Use mke2fs to make a file system (format) your Linux partition.  Now complete
    the installation with doinstall, see the SLS README for the details.

Something else to consider: you may want to FAT format one of your OS/2 partitions.
Linux does not currently understand HPFS but it does understand FAT.  If you have
a FAT partition, you can easily share data between OS/2 and Linux.

Quote:>Then see the FAQ section III on how to install LILO on that partition's
>boot sector, and then add it to Boot Manager.

III.30 and III.31 are the relevant questions.

Quote:>Please do read the FAQ's. Your case is not *that* particular.

To the original poster:  personally, I think you're totally nuts to even consider
this without reading the FAQ.  At best, you'll waste a lot of time.  More likely
you'll do something wrong and will have to start over from scratch, including
reading the FAQ to figure out what went wrong.  At worst, you'll trash your OS/2
installation.  I've installed some form of UNIX on a variety of machines several
times.  I always read the manual before each upgrade and I've yet to have a serious
problem.  I can't say the same for some of my more hasty counterparts.

>Thanks.
>mdw
>--

>"That kernel's got a mean streak A MILE WIDE!!" --Chip Salzenberg

--
Tim Writer                           phone:  (416) 231-4111 ext. 6990
Ontario Hydro Research Division      fax:    (416) 237-9285

CANADA

Installing Linux from SLS with OS/2

Post by Ed Wheel » Sun, 09 May 1993 07:21:02

  I have the OS/2 bootmanager working to boot Linux but I think the Lilo
command line listed in the FAQ is incorrect (it didn't work that way for
me anyway).
In particular the command line:

/etc/etc/lilo -c -b /hda3 -v -v /Image  (I believe, I don't have the FAQ handy)

doesn't work.  I don't think LILO takes an argument as /Image is given above.
Maybe a LILO expert could check this.

I eventually left off the /Image argument (after specifying OS/2 as a second
operating system under LILO, in case BOOTManager was trashed) and ran
Lilo.  After some playing with os2 fdisk and rebooting the machine
it correcty booted Linux from the Bootmanager menu.

|       Texas Instruments               work: (214) 952-3297                  |
|                                       home: (214) 612-0192                  |

Post by Timothy Writ » Fri, 14 May 1993 06:57:37

>  I have the OS/2 bootmanager working to boot Linux but I think the Lilo
>command line listed in the FAQ is incorrect (it didn't work that way for
>me anyway).
>In particular the command line:
>/etc/etc/lilo -c -b /hda3 -v -v /Image  (I believe, I don't have the FAQ handy)
>doesn't work.  I don't think LILO takes an argument as /Image is given above.
>Maybe a LILO expert could check this.

I had the same problem.

Quote:>I eventually left off the /Image argument (after specifying OS/2 as a second
>operating system under LILO, in case BOOTManager was trashed) and ran
>Lilo.  After some playing with os2 fdisk and rebooting the machine
>it correcty booted Linux from the Bootmanager menu.

I solved the problem by modifying the lilo config file (I forget its
name but its in /etc/lilo).  Then I used lilo without options (I think!
It was late when I did it).  Somebody should fix the FAQ.

Tim