How to get local IP address, router address, etc when using DHCP

How to get local IP address, router address, etc when using DHCP

Post by Michael E. Sto » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:36:13

I'm using DHCP (with a hardware Asante router) but I'd also like to
use NFS.  Since the Asante router is not a name server, and none of my
computers are running Linux all the time (to be suitable as a name
server), I need to put IP addresses in my /etc/exports files to enable
file sharing.  When I was running Redhat, I used Pump to get all this
information.  There is no pump command with SuSE.  How do I get my IP
for each machine?

Mike

Post by Ivan Kell » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:24:30

> I'm using DHCP (with a hardware Asante router) but I'd also like to use
> NFS.  Since the Asante router is not a name server, and none of my
> computers are running Linux all the time (to be suitable as a name
> server), I need to put IP addresses in my /etc/exports files to enable
> file sharing.  When I was running Redhat, I used Pump to get all this
> information.  There is no pump command with SuSE.  How do I get my IP
> for each machine?

i always use /sbin/ifconfig
Quote:

> Mike

How to get local IP address, router address, etc when using DHCP

Post by Ma34att| G|w3|e » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 02:25:10

Quote:>I'm using DHCP (with a hardware Asante router) but I'd also like to use
>NFS.  Since the Asante router is not a name server, and none of my
>computers are running Linux all the time (to be suitable as a name server),
>I need to put IP addresses in my /etc/exports files to enable file sharing.
>When I was running Redhat, I used Pump to get all this information.  There
>is no pump command with SuSE.  How do I get my IP for each machine?

        To add to the other response, it all sits in
/etc/dhcpc/dhcpdc-eth0.info in Redhat.

--
A third rate writer says if we to do not remember history then
we are doomed to repeat it and some idiots really believe it.

Post by Michael E. Sto » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:23:09

> >I'm using DHCP (with a hardware Asante router) but I'd also like to use
> >NFS.  Since the Asante router is not a name server, and none of my
> >computers are running Linux all the time (to be suitable as a name server),
> >I need to put IP addresses in my /etc/exports files to enable file sharing.
> >When I was running Redhat, I used Pump to get all this information.  There
> >is no pump command with SuSE.  How do I get my IP for each machine?

>    To add to the other response, it all sits in
> /etc/dhcpc/dhcpdc-eth0.info in Redhat.

This file does not exist with SuSE, but the other suggestion above worked fine.

Mike

1. 3com 905b gets Ip address by using DHCP from NT DHCP server

Hi,

I have a 3com 905b, which FreeBSD make this device as xl0. I tried get the
IP address from a DHCP server on WinNT4 server(build 1381, sp4).  I can get
the IP address when booting FreeBSD up. But when expire inteval coming up,
FreeBSD cannot get IP from  NT4 again. I tried to ping each other, and ping
result is negative. Could some one give me a suggestion to deal with this
situation. Thank you

PS: WinNT 4 is working functionally and properly.

Jerry

2. sockets

3. Unable to reach router to get IP address via DHCP

4. UMSDOS and mangled filenames-errors!!!

5. How to get the local IP address after booting with DHCP?

6. biff+comsat sources.

7. Help: Mandriva drops DHCP IP address nor can't ping to local host

8. find command

9. using mac address instead of an IP address of hostname

10. howto: Setting /etc/hosts with DHCP assigned IP address -- a solution

11. rc.firewall executes before my DHCP gets IP address

12. EzPPP->Mindspring getting "bad local IP address 127.0.0.1"

13. Getting local IP address