How to keep man page displayed after you quit

How to keep man page displayed after you quit

Post by Steve Pedde » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:10:26

A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly newsletter.  It
showed you how to set an environment/shell variable so that if you're
looking at a man page and you find the option you want, when you quit out
of the man page, the options are still displayed.  Normally, when you look
at a man page and scroll down to see the option you want, and you type "q",
the information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I set
to keep that information displayed?

--
Steve Pedder
Clearwater, FL USA

How to keep man page displayed after you quit

Post by chris ciott » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:04:59

*>Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:10:26 GMT

*>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
*>Subject: How to keep man page displayed after you quit
*>
*>A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly newsletter.  It
*>showed you how to set an environment/shell variable so that if you're
*>looking at a man page and you find the option you want, when you quit out
*>of the man page, the options are still displayed.  Normally, when you look
*>at a man page and scroll down to see the option you want, and you type "q",
*>the information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I set
*>to keep that information displayed?
*>
*>

Hello -

Assuming sh style shell, you can add "export MANPAGER=more" (sans
quotes) to your .profile or you could alias the command "man" to "man -P more".

--
chris ciotti
stereo-link (http://www.stereo-link.com)

Post by Lurc » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:09:42

> A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly newsletter.  It
> showed you how to set an environment/shell variable so that if you're
> looking at a man page and you find the option you want, when you quit out
> of the man page, the options are still displayed.  Normally, when you look
> at a man page and scroll down to see the option you want, and you type
> "q",
> the information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I set
> to keep that information displayed?

Well, I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but say I want to
learn about chmod, I do this:

man chmod
(read the stuff, scroll to the good stuff)
! (type a "!" while in man, and hit return)
Then try out what you've read
exit (type this to exit from the shell)
And voila, you're back in the man-page where you started :o)

Hope this helped...

--
Home: http://users.skynet.be/bk333466/
OS: Sorcerer Linux (kernel 2.4.17)

How to keep man page displayed after you quit

Post by ER » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 06:05:42

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:10:26 UTC, Steve Pedder

+ A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly
+ newsletter.  It  showed you how to set an environment/shell
+ variable so that if you're  looking at a man page and you find the
+ option you want, when you quit out  of the man page, the options
+ are still displayed.  Normally, when you look at a man page and
+ scroll down to see the option you want, and you type "q", the
+ information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I
+ set to keep that information displayed?

Try using job control to switch between jobs in a shell. For more
info see:

man bash
  /Job control<CR>

You are looking for 'jobs', '^Z', 'fg' and 'bg' but read the whole
section. Once you learn to use this you will *hate* ever having to
use a DOS prompt again. ;-)

Caldera Authorized Partner - OpenServer 5+, UnixWare 7+ & OpenLinux
--
   Owner and C.E.O. - ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA    .
  OS/2, UnixWare, OpenServer & Linux Business Computing Solutions  .

How to keep man page displayed after you quit

Post by Ray Taylo » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:57:01

You could also open another console (ALT-F2 or F3 or F4, etc) and switch between
them.

Post by M1510att Gi220we » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:22:35

>A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly newsletter.  It
>showed you how to set an environment/shell variable so that if you're
>looking at a man page and you find the option you want, when you quit out
>of the man page, the options are still displayed.  Normally, when you look
>at a man page and scroll down to see the option you want, and you type "q",
>the information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I set
>to keep that information displayed?

        I can only talk for KDE as I use it. I run all 16 desktops (don't
ask) but when I need to that I run two xterms on one of them. In one the man
page and in the other doing what it says and alt-tab shifts between them.
Works fine and very easy.

--
How many realize the Kama Sutra reads just a well
as a parody?

Post by gavro » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:27:08

> A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly newsletter.  It
> showed you how to set an environment/shell variable so that if you're
> looking at a man page and you find the option you want, when you quit out
> of the man page, the options are still displayed.  Normally, when you look
> at a man page and scroll down to see the option you want, and you type "q",
> the information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I set
> to keep that information displayed?

assuming you are using xterm

try editing /etc/man.config adding -X to the line that says PAGER:

PAGER           /usr/bin/less -isrX

start an xterm and see if this makes any difference.

Other things to try:

1. access VT Options menu in xterm - via a Ctrl+<mouse button2> &
uncheck the Enable Alt Xcreen Switching option.

2. look in the xterm man page and see how yo can set this option to
'unchecked' as the default.. could be resource titeInhibit..

3. use rxvt, aterm, wterm.. where this option is usually enabled by
default..

Hope this helps.

Post by John Danielson, I » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:57:40

 > A few months back, I saw a tip in the Linux Journal weekly
 > newsletter.  It  showed you how to set an environment/shell
 > variable so that if you're  looking at a man page and you find the
 > option you want, when you quit out  of the man page, the options
 > are still displayed.  Normally, when you look  at a man page and
 > scroll down to see the option you want, and you type "q",  the
 > information from the man page is no longer displayed.  What can I
 > set  to keep that information displayed?

Steve,

I use Mandrake, no idea if this will work with your distro, but in
'Drake you get a different console\tty full-screen session with EACH of
CTRL-ALT-F1 through CTRL-ALT-F6, and CTRL-ALT-F7 returns you to X(If you
start from X). So, with your situation, why not try just switching
tty-type consoles and refer back and forth at need? This should not run
you out of RAM, as the text consoles pull very little RAM for display
slop space.

Discovered this by accident one time, think I needed to kill something
like Netscape 6.2.1 (which does not like it when you try to quit
Netscape from a child window or close the parent window with chilren
open, and dislikes it so much it hangs KDE totally except for what
appears to be an X sublayer option of going into a text tty(with the
CTRL-ALT-F1 bypass) and TOPping mozilla's head off until next time you
forget which window is parent...:)) without killing KDE or X. Be careful
NOT to kill everything(or anything you cannot ID exactly, like startkde
if you want to go back to it) by mistake, please.

John Danielson, II

How to keep man page displayed after you quit

Post by Jeff Donova » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:20:05

The Linux Journal newsletter gave the following tip:

For csh/tcsh -
    setenv LESS X

For bash -
    LESS = X
    export LESS

Hope this helps,
Jeff Donovan

Post by Joost Kremer » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:37:35

> The Linux Journal newsletter gave the following tip:

> For csh/tcsh -
>     setenv LESS X

> For bash -
>     LESS = X
>     export LESS

this should be `LESS=X', without the spaces.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments