Linux on a diskless w

Post by John Wi » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 06:01:00

RS>>: >>Is it possible in its current form or with few modifications to run
RS>>: >>linux on a diskless workstation?...
RS>
RS>If you have not done so, read up on tftp and bootp, both of which are
RS>sometimes used for retrieving kernels for bootless workstations.  On Suns or
RS>DECs or HPs the code exists in the ROM to request a kernel.  On PC UNIXes
RS>you should not need to retrieve the kernel if you have already booted from
RS>floppy...
   ^^^^^^
Diskless, that usually means WITHOUT the floppy!
---
 ~ KingQWK 1.05 # 97 ~ Save the Whales.  Collect the entire set!

Linux on a diskless w

Post by E.A.Neonak » Sat, 24 Apr 1993 00:30:48

>RS>>: >>Is it possible in its current form or with few modifications to run
>RS>>: >>linux on a diskless workstation?...
>RS>
>RS>If you have not done so, read up on tftp and bootp, both of which are
>RS>sometimes used for retrieving kernels for bootless workstations.  On Suns or
>RS>DECs or HPs the code exists in the ROM to request a kernel.  On PC UNIXes
>RS>you should not need to retrieve the kernel if you have already booted from
>RS>floppy...
>   ^^^^^^
>Diskless, that usually means WITHOUT the floppy!

Strictly speaking that's correct, yet being able to boot from a floppy, and then
retrieve necessary files from the server would be an extremely interesting (for
me at least) case.
E.A.Neonakis
Heraklion,
Crete,
Hellas.

1. Diskless Linux X-Terminal (Was: Re: Diskless Linux machines)

We are using floppy-only machine as X-terminal here.

Configuration is:
  386SX 25 MHz, 4MB RAM, NE2000 Ethernet, 1.2M Floppy, mono-VGA, 1 COM-port
  no hard-drive, no co-processor; (approx. price $400 new)
  Kernel 1.0.8, XFree 2.1

All you need is to boot from floppy, NFS-mount /usr and /lib directories
and start X over nfs. Then you can rlogin (or telnet) to another machine,
setup DISPLAY, and start window manager there.

For making the boot diskette you can use basic Slackware distribution.
You should rebuild the kernel without any kind of unnecessary support (like
harddrive, SCSI, SLIP and so on). After that you can take Slackware's "boot
disk", put new kernel there, copy network configuration files from /etc.
After copying the kernel don't forget to change RAMDISK size to 0 with
rdev and run lilo.  For networking you need route, ifconfig, rpc.portmap,
mount, rlogin (or telnet).  You should edit /etc/rc.d/inet* scripts and
put "mount ..." for /usr and /lib in you rc.local file.

Kernel+sh+X+rlogin will run in 4Meg RAM, so you don't need swap.
X-server performance is really decent.

-------------------------------------------------------+

 -- Shrink-wrapped GNU and public domain UNIX software |
 -- Custom TeX and PostScript programming by e-mail    |
 -- Database documents, standard forms, directories    |

2. Hellppp! Linux won't boot!

3. Diskless or nearly diskless Linux?

4. System time warping around real time problem - please help

5. Diskless Workstation from(Diskless X Server: a how to guide)

6. Starup log

7. Boot code for networked/diskless Linux

8. Sun[tm] ONE Web Services Platform, Developer Edition software FREE

9. linux serving ncd diskless xterm?

10. Booting diskless 3/60 from Linux server...

11. Diskless Linux workstations?

12. Diskless Linux machine with NULL-MODEM cable

13. diskless linux boot