Silly Question about installing:-)

Post by Who Am » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:46:52

Hi,
    well I finally got around to downloading a distro of Linux (Mandrake
8.0), but now I have a problem: I don't know what these damn .iso images
are. I downloaded the iso image of the first CD, but I don't know what to do
with it when I burn it to CD. I use Nero as my burning software, and the
Mandrake site didn't really give any information about what iso images are
(I suppose they expect less ignorance from Linux users). Also, I was
wondering if it is possible to install Linux from a server, or from my own
computer, after I reformat and reinstall Win 98.
    Anyways, if anyone can give me a hand and tell me what an iso image is,
and how to make use of it, that would be wonderfully appreciated

who am i

P.S. I know buying the CD would be less of a hassle, but I admit, I am a
cheap guy. LOL

Post by r0gu » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:58:34

> Hi,
>     well I finally got around to downloading a distro of Linux (Mandrake
> 8.0), but now I have a problem: I don't know what these damn .iso images
> are. I downloaded the iso image of the first CD, but I don't know what
> to do with it when I burn it to CD. I use Nero as my burning software,
> and the Mandrake site didn't really give any information about what iso
> images are
> (I suppose they expect less ignorance from Linux users). Also, I was
> wondering if it is possible to install Linux from a server, or from my
> own computer, after I reformat and reinstall Win 98.
>     Anyways, if anyone can give me a hand and tell me what an iso image
>     is,
> and how to make use of it, that would be wonderfully appreciated

> who am i

> P.S. I know buying the CD would be less of a hassle, but I admit, I am a
> cheap guy. LOL

There are two cd images - inst, which is the main install boot cd, and
ext, which carries a ton of extra stuff ( disk 2).  Just boot from the
install cd (inst).

When burning the cd, do not just copy the iso file to the cd - use the
'create cd from image' operation.  I don't know where to find that function
in Nero, as I don't use it - so just look around the menus.

--
I will serve no algorithm before it's time.

Silly Question about installing:-)

Post by Stix » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:07:27

Quote:> Hi,
>     well I finally got around to downloading a distro of Linux (Mandrake
> 8.0), but now I have a problem: I don't know what these damn .iso images
> are. I downloaded the iso image of the first CD, but I don't know what to
do
> with it when I burn it to CD. I use Nero as my burning software, and the
> Mandrake site didn't really give any information about what iso images are
> (I suppose they expect less ignorance from Linux users). Also, I was
> wondering if it is possible to install Linux from a server, or from my own
> computer, after I reformat and reinstall Win 98.
>     Anyways, if anyone can give me a hand and tell me what an iso image
is,
> and how to make use of it, that would be wonderfully appreciated

> who am i

> P.S. I know buying the CD would be less of a hassle, but I admit, I am a
> cheap guy. LOL

Details for burning .iso's with Nero are: Pull down the File menu--->Burn Cd
Image. On the next dialog box choose ALL FILES from the pulldown menu and
browse to where you stored your iso. When you press open one more dialog box
appears. Make sure it reads as follows: Data mode 1: Block size=2048: Image
header and trailer=0: Raw Data, Swapping and Scrambling should be unchecked.
Press OK and burn the image. To install just boot off of disk one. I hope
this helps you out.     Stix

1. Arguing is silly... fun, but silly.

Basically, I just want to point out that, although Linux is the best OS I
have ever used, there are reasons why companies like Microsoft are a
necessary evil:

1.)  Despite that fact that MS-DOS/Windows is, large, simplistic, less
     configurable than it should be, and fairly unstable, it is needed by
     most people in general simply because they can have whatever
     application they want, whenever they want it.  Now, I realize that
     the apps for Linux are, by far, superior, but they are perhaps somewhat
     challenging for the average joe user.  For example, I have used several
     raytracers/modelers on Linux, and I have found them to be very
     powerful, due to their "open configurability."  However, a company on a
     tight schedule is going to need software that can be run by practically
     anyone, at any time.  Software such as Lightwave, and Imagine are good
     examples of software that are powerful, yet easy to use.

2.)  As pathetic as it may be, most general computer users need to be
     babied thru their computing experiences.  Micro$oft Windoze does just
     that... every possible driver you could need is most likely readily
     available once Windoze is installed.  This is one reason why the
     devil's GUI is so damn big.  And if Windoze is too heavy for a person
     (and God help that person), then they have the option of running BOB.
     And if the PC's hardware is still too complex, then the MAC is next in
     line.

I mean, come on... UNIX is NOT for EVERYBODY!  It IS powerful... It IS
efficient as hell... and it IS one of the best OS's out there.  But it
wasn't intended to be used by the general public (though they are free to
do so if they wish (good luck to 'em)).  If UNIX is too tough for a
person to handle, and they do not wish to be hassled, then Micro$oft or
Macintosh is the perfect alternative for them... they will be babied
thru, and they wont have to be hassled.

As for myself, I would rather chew broken glass, than to have to use
Macintrash or Windorks... but for some, it is cleary the best choice.

BTW, personally, I don't think that MAC sys7 or Windoze/Win95 hold a
candle to UNIX... in comparison, Linux is fine wine, and MS-DOS is MAD
DOG 20/20. :)
--

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222
2   Music is that which envelops our emotions... conducts our minds....   2

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

2. ftp ls does not work with FW

3. silly MTU problem? Or am I silly?

4. Qlogic Basic PCI Scsi and installing Linux

5. I tried LINUX :-) :-)

6. SCSI? IDE? Opinions please

7. InfoExplorer works under X11R5 now :-) :-)

8. mail client

9. DOSEMU works better than DOS :-) :-)

10. Removing W95 :-) Installing RedHat

11. Please help me install my 3Com 3c509B ISA NIC :-)

12. glibc2 install prob :-)

13. Installing Elcon Nt1 Unit under LINUX - HELP ME PLIZZ :-)