mcc-interim woes

Post by Danzig Friq » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 15:58:28

I seem to have problems installing Linux mcc-interim 0.96c
i have mkfs my system as follows
primary partition:
/dev/hda2 4 megs
/dev/hda3 64megs
/dev/hda4 100 megs (extended partition)
/dev/hda5 10 megs
/dev/hda6 64 megs
/dev/hda7 26 megs

all the mkfs -c went well, so did the /dev/hda5's mkswap
the problem comes in after that when i tried the mounting
on the readme.utils for installing it, it told me to mount it
and it was mounted

mount /dev/hda2 /root
mkdir /root/usr
mount /dev/hda7 /usr
mkdir /root/usr/src
mount /dev/hda3 /usr/src
mkdir /root/home
mount /dev/hda6 /home (but this part barfs, so i mkdir /home before i did it
                        again )
swapon /dev/hda5

And after i did this, i can't run the install-root program properly anymore
because it wasn't able to find the 'tar' 'uncompress' binaries when i did
the mount /dev/hda7 /usr
Also I have edited the above mounts to the /root/etc/rc using vi (which
has a warning about not being to write to /tmp in the bottom) for the above
moutings, and followed the way to make a bootable disk by coping the Image file
to a formated disk (it managed to boot, but hangs after finding all the partitions )

Could anyone who have done this before help me? Also is the way i partition
it good? I have about 165 megs of disk space for linux, and was
having a hard time deciding how much to give each directory/partition
Also how do i get the thing boot to hard drive? it can boot, but never go
to my hard drive nor give me the # prompt

Dan

mcc-interim woes

Post by Danzig Friq » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 00:21:42

>I seem to have problems installing Linux mcc-interim 0.96c
>i have mkfs my system as follows
>primary partition:
>/dev/hda2 4 megs
>/dev/hda3 64megs
>/dev/hda4 100 megs (extended partition)
>/dev/hda5 10 megs
>/dev/hda6 64 megs
>/dev/hda7 26 megs
>all the mkfs -c went well, so did the /dev/hda5's mkswap
>the problem comes in after that when i tried the mounting
>on the readme.utils for installing it, it told me to mount it
>and it was mounted
>mount /dev/hda2 /root
>mkdir /root/usr
>mount /dev/hda7 /usr
>mkdir /root/usr/src
>mount /dev/hda3 /usr/src
>mkdir /root/home
>mount /dev/hda6 /home (but this part barfs, so i mkdir /home before i did it
>                    again )
>swapon /dev/hda5
>And after i did this, i can't run the install-root program properly anymore
>because it wasn't able to find the 'tar' 'uncompress' binaries when i did
>the mount /dev/hda7 /usr
>Also I have edited the above mounts to the /root/etc/rc using vi (which
>has a warning about not being to write to /tmp in the bottom) for the above
>moutings, and followed the way to make a bootable disk by coping the Image file
>to a formated disk (it managed to boot, but hangs after finding all the partitions )
>Could anyone who have done this before help me? Also is the way i partition
>it good? I have about 165 megs of disk space for linux, and was
>having a hard time deciding how much to give each directory/partition
>Also how do i get the thing boot to hard drive? it can boot, but never go
>to my hard drive nor give me the # prompt

Just to add more, I have also tried it this way,
mounting this way:
mount /dev/hda2 /root
mkdir /root/usr
mount /dev/hda7 /root/usr
mkdir /root/usr/src
mount /dev/hda3 /root/usr/src
mkdir /root/home
mount /dev/hda6 /root/home

But then I have to use both the interim disks (boot/utls) to start it up
all the time and the changes i did to the /root/etc/rc were never saved, and
if they were saved, i checked out the file and it has '# ' at the start of
the line put in and i never put it in. 8-( I hope to get this linux beast
running soon, please give me some suggestions on what else should i do?

Dan

1. MCC-interim release problem with login

I installed the MCC-interim .95c+ release, and
applied the listed bug fixes (/dev/tty ...), and ran
into numerous problems that were all fixed by replacing
/bin/login with a previous (.95a static) version.

The symptoms included a mangled bash environment, stty
reporting 0 rows and 0 columns, and vi defaulting to 25x80
(instead of the available 44x132).  Replacing /bin/login
fixed all of these problems.  Both the new and old bash
had the same problems with the new login, and worked fine
after login was replaced.

Did anyone else have these problems, or should I re-ftp
and try again?

thanks,
dave safford

2. Counter-Spamming Measures

3. gcc from mcc-interim - work?

4. "Bad Magic Number"

5. MCC-Interim... where is named and readlinelib

6. Port Numbers other than 80 ?!?

7. Fix for mcc-interim login.c

8. emusic themes/skins

9. mcc-interim 0.96a question

10. mcc-interim and shadow /bin/login ignore .cshrc with tcsh

11. mcc-interim 0.95c+ - help!

12. 0.96 (boot) and mcc-interim, shell problem help.

13. What files go with the mcc-interim?