Fix for mcc-interim login.c

Post by A. V. Le Bla » Mon, 27 Apr 1992 23:32:30

I have made some slight changes in the login.c which I used to
produce the /bin/login for the mcc 'interim' release of 0.95c+.
Among the bugs fixed by these changes are:

(1)  TERM and other variables are set correctly to the values
     specified by getty.  Thanks to Thomas Ziegler, who noticed this.

(2)  bash (sh) no longer creates garbled variables at login.  (I noticed
     this myself, but assumed -- falsely -- that it was just another
     problem with bash.)

(3)  tcsh now correctly runs both its .login and its .cshrc scripts
     at login time.  Thanks to Mitch from the University of Kent at
     Canterbury for bringing this one to my attention.

The fault was not in the original poe-igl code, and therefore it was
one I or somebody else introduced by 'updating' it to work with gcc
2.1.  If you wish to fix this, the corrected source is in the file
misc.tar.Z in /pub/linux/mcc-interim/0.95c+/sources, available by
anonymous ftp from ftp.mcc.ac.uk [130.88.200.7].  The current
version of this file is 138247 bytes in size, so that you can tell
it apart from the earlier version.

I shall probably not be updating the old interim version (for want of
time), but I hope to come out with a new one when 0.96 and the new
version of gcc are out.  All depends on time.

     -- Owen

1. MCC-interim release problem with login

I installed the MCC-interim .95c+ release, and
applied the listed bug fixes (/dev/tty ...), and ran
into numerous problems that were all fixed by replacing
/bin/login with a previous (.95a static) version.

The symptoms included a mangled bash environment, stty
reporting 0 rows and 0 columns, and vi defaulting to 25x80
(instead of the available 44x132).  Replacing /bin/login
fixed all of these problems.  Both the new and old bash
had the same problems with the new login, and worked fine
after login was replaced.

Did anyone else have these problems, or should I re-ftp
and try again?

thanks,
dave safford

2. swapping and paging

3. mcc-interim and shadow /bin/login ignore .cshrc with tcsh

4. EXT2 FS errors

5. gcc from mcc-interim - work?

6. BOS Installation

7. MCC-Interim... where is named and readlinelib

8. lanstreamer.o

9. mcc-interim 0.96a question

10. mcc-interim woes

11. mcc-interim 0.95c+ - help!

12. 0.96 (boot) and mcc-interim, shell problem help.

13. What files go with the mcc-interim?