NFS Config Issues || Port mapper failure

NFS Config Issues || Port mapper failure

Post by Metnetsk » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:12:22

I'm trying to configure a little NFS server on my RH 8 machine for my home
files and accounts, but I am getting stuck.  On the machine serving NFS I
setup /etc/exports as follows:

        /home/mimetnet  192.168.100.135
        /home/mimetnet  192.168.100.*

I put in both options just to be sure.  I then turn on NFS (or restart it)
using '/sbin/service nfs start' which succeeds without failure.  Then on my
local machine I try the following mount command:

        mount 192.168.100.30:/home/mimetnet/ /home/mimetnet/BSD

This command however returns:

        mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

~ Metnetsky

NFS Config Issues || Port mapper failure

Post by Sybren Stuve » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:01:57

In comp.os.linux Metnetsky enlightened us with:

Quote:>         mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

> Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Have you started the portmapper service?

Sybren
--

Quote:>>> RUNNING A MICROSOFT GAME USING WINE <<<

INSTR_IDT_Emulate Evil attempt to exploit win9x system security flaws detected
INSTR_IDT_Emulate UNIX system security is too strong, can't emulate properly

Post by Metnetsk » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 05:45:04

> In comp.os.linux Metnetsky enlightened us with:
>>         mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

>> Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

> Have you started the portmapper service?

> Sybren

Yes, portmapper is turned on for both the client and the server, and was
during that test.

~ Metnetsky

NFS Config Issues || Port mapper failure

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:59:45

begin  Metnetsky enlightened us with:

Quote:> Yes, portmapper is turned on for both the client and the server, and was
> during that test.

What does running 'showmount -d servername' from the client produce?

Sybren
--

Post by Cecil Rhode » Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:41:17

> I'm trying to configure a little NFS server on my RH 8 machine for my
> home files and accounts, but I am getting stuck.  On the machine serving
> NFS I setup /etc/exports as follows:

>         /home/mimetnet  192.168.100.135
>         /home/mimetnet  192.168.100.*

> I put in both options just to be sure.  I then turn on NFS (or restart
> it) using '/sbin/service nfs start' which succeeds without failure. Then
> on my local machine I try the following mount command:

>         mount 192.168.100.30:/home/mimetnet/ /home/mimetnet/BSD

> This command however returns:

>         mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

> Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

> ~ Metnetsky

Have you started rpc.statd and rpc.lockd?

--
jackson

1. NFS and Port Mapper Failure

Having difficulty getting NFS to work between a RH8 server and RH8
workstation.  Getting the following message on the workstation when
trying to mount the exported directory: mount: RPC: Port mapper
failure - RPC: Unable to receive

There is no firewall between the devices.  I can ping by name between
the two devices.  I have stopped/started the nfs and portmap services
on the server.  I modified the /etc/hosts.allow file on the server
with ALL: ALL to allow all possibilities.

Any ideas?

I'm relatively new to Linux.  This is probably a stupid question;
pardon my ignorance.

Regards.

2. AWESFX 0.4.3a & Debian 2.1 problem

3. NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

4. Programming in Linux

5. NFS - RPC Port mapper failure - RPC: unable to send

6. astericks on end of file names

7. NFS error: RPC: Port mapper failure

8. FTP Script

9. NFS: Port Mapper Failure (Help ME!)

10. RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

11. RPC port mapper failure

12. Port Mapper failure?

13. HELP! RPC Port MApper Failure