location of utmp wtmp in utmp.h

Post by Neal Beck » Sat, 29 May 1993 00:43:40

When building sysVinit using libc4.4 I found that 'last' was looking
for /etc/utmp and /usr/adm/wtmp.  I found that it was getting these
locations from /usr/include/utmp.h.  Why this strange inconsitency?

Is this a mistake?  Should utmp.h be changed to put both in /etc?

Post by HJ L » Sun, 30 May 1993 01:18:41

|> When building sysVinit using libc4.4 I found that 'last' was looking
|> for /etc/utmp and /usr/adm/wtmp.  I found that it was getting these
|> locations from /usr/include/utmp.h.  Why this strange inconsitency?
|>
|> Is this a mistake?  Should utmp.h be changed to put both in /etc?

Since wtmp grows very fast, we have moved it out of the root partition.

H.J.

1. Location of utmp and wtmp

Where is the correct location of the file system file "utmp" and "wtmp"
for linux-1.2 and util-linux-2.2. The manual pages for login, last, init
and utmp, all suggest different locations. These are:

/etc/utmp
/etc/wtmp

/var/adm/utmp
/var/adm/wtmp

/usr/adm/utmp
/usr/adm/wtmp (/var directory is linked to /usr )

/var/log/wtmp
/var/run/utmp  (I cann't remember if these two are around the right way)

Thanks for your help
Harry

    The above article is the personal view of the poster and should not be
       considered as an official comment from the JET Joint Undertaking

2. nss_ldap / ms active directory password authentication

3. utmp: finding binaries that corrupt utmp

4. Non-authoritative answer

5. utmp and wtmp corruption...

6. Common Errors

7. How to remove utmp/wtmp entries?

8. Netbios

9. utmp and wtmp re-init

10. Redhat 5.0 wtmp and utmp problems...

11. is it safe to simply truncate wtmp/utmp ??

12. Are wtmp and utmp Binaries?

13. utmp/wtmp in lx99pl8