Term Binaries needed

Post by bryan k willia » Thu, 30 Sep 1993 16:18:12

I need to get binaries for term for a sun 4 target machine. I
have term 1.07 running on Linux and on my campus NeXT and I'm pleased as
punch about the remote Xwindows capability but the real reason I started
tweaking with term to begin with was to use it on our sun server. As
best I can tell it is a sun 4, as the compiler flags seem to indicate when
I attempt to make term and related files on the Sun. (never laid eyes
on the real machine). BUT for some reason the makefile pukes all over me
on the sun, it seems that it has a pre-ansi version of 'cc' - (is that likely??)
at least it seems unable to make heads or tails of ANSI-style prototypes.
Am I possibly overlooking a flag there? Anyway, I need one of two things:

term binaries built for Sun 4, or,
a kick in the head with the correct CCFLAGS to make the binaries.

Any help earns my eternal gratitude....

Term Binaries needed

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Thu, 30 Sep 1993 22:13:32

 >I need to get binaries for term for a sun 4 target machine. I
 >have term 1.07 running on Linux and on my campus NeXT and I'm pleased as
 >punch about the remote Xwindows capability but the real reason I started
 >tweaking with term to begin with was to use it on our sun server. As
 >best I can tell it is a sun 4, as the compiler flags seem to indicate when
 >I attempt to make term and related files on the Sun. (never laid eyes
 >on the real machine). BUT for some reason the makefile pukes all over me
 >on the sun, it seems that it has a pre-ansi version of 'cc' - (is that likely??)
 >at least it seems unable to make heads or tails of ANSI-style prototypes.
 >Am I possibly overlooking a flag there? Anyway, I need one of two things:
 >
 >term binaries built for Sun 4, or,
 >a kick in the head with the correct CCFLAGS to make the binaries.

The real C standard is still K&R, 1st edition.  Lots of UNIX boxes,
including Suns running SunOS 4.1.3 , do not have ANSI support.  Many sites
have installed GCC to get ANSI support.  You might set CC=gcc in the
top-level Makefile.

If you are running Linux then RUN don't walk to sunsite.unc.edu and look at
all the wonderful linux goodies.  Follow your nose down to
Linux/apps/comm/term and you will find Sun4 binaries.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and sendmail maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

Term Binaries needed

Post by bryan k willia » Fri, 01 Oct 1993 03:22:39

Quote:

>The real C standard is still K&R, 1st edition.  Lots of UNIX boxes,
>including Suns running SunOS 4.1.3 , do not have ANSI support.  Many sites
>have installed GCC to get ANSI support.  You might set CC=gcc in the
>top-level Makefile.

--- problem is, gcc isn't on the system either- the makefile originally
invoked gcc. I am RUNning to sunsite now.... couldn't get there last night

Term Binaries needed

Post by John Wi » Tue, 05 Oct 1993 04:05:00

UT>on the real machine). BUT for some reason the makefile pukes all over me
UT>on the sun, it seems that it has a pre-ansi version of 'cc' - (is that
UT>likely??)

How about getting GNU C++ for your sun and installing that?  It's
specifically configured so you can bootstrap yourself up to a working
copy with almost any C compiler, and then you'll have full ANSI C and
C++ to boot if you desire.

Term Binaries needed

Post by bryan k willia » Thu, 07 Oct 1993 15:12:31

>UT>on the real machine). BUT for some reason the makefile pukes all over me
>UT>on the sun, it seems that it has a pre-ansi version of 'cc' - (is that
>UT>likely??)

>How about getting GNU C++ for your sun and installing that?  It's
>specifically configured so you can bootstrap yourself up to a working
>copy with almost any C compiler, and then you'll have full ANSI C and
>C++ to boot if you desire.

Well, I might have to be root to properly install that (properly, anyway)
but perhaps not. Regardless, my solution was his: I found the site the program
originates from- there are K&R binaries there which compiled fine under cc.

Kinda neat running multiple Xterms over a 9600bps line plus doing Alliance VLSI
CMOS design --usable, but slow....

BTW, anyone looking to do VLSI for FREE with Linux-- contact
ftp-masi.ibp.fr    - a complete package for VHDL hardware description language
(a limited subset)
via ftp.

You may have to get the source & compile using gcc & -fwritable-strings option to
make the xwindows routing program work...

1. How to get term binaries to work ?

Hello, I have got term 2.1.4 setup and got trsh, tredir,... to work.

However, when I get the term binaries 2.0.4 which includes telnet, rlogin,
ftp,...  I can only get rlogin to work, other programs report 'Network
Unreachable' error.  I have also tried to run Mosaic+term, it starts but
it cannot connect to the NSCA home page.

Please help
Thanks
Michael
Michael Hung

2. dhcp problems

3. Mosaic binary wanted WITHOUT term support.

4. can tin read extend ASCII chars?

5. Wanted: Term binary - SunOS 4.1.4

6. Linux to connect 95 machines to net

7. Telnet for term? Binary anyone?

8. no mouse in cde?

9. Ftptool binaries for term

10. TERM, TRSH, etc. Binaries for HP-UX??

11. ncftp binary without term?

12. Netscape with term binary

13. term binary for solaris?