Bootdisk made by SLS install hangs during boot

Post by Derek Bischo » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 06:24:01

 CK> I've installed the SLS v.1.03 release on three machines.  The two
 CK> listed above had the same trouble after installing, making a
 CK> bootdisk, and trying to boot from that bootdisk.  The trouble that
 CK> came about was when I tried to boot from the bootdisk (5.25" floppy
 CK> drive A:).  Just after it prints out that it's trying to detect
 CK> sound cards (one of the machines has no sound cards and the other
 CK> has a PAS), it just sits there and never goes on.  Can anyone help
 CK> me get beyond this?  I've been booting from the install disk and
 CK> telling LILO to go to the harddisk where it's installed but I'd
 CK> really like to get the boot floppy to work.  The boot messages are
 CK> included at the bottom of this post.
 I am going to assume here that you have yourself a machine
 that is tested under dos for IRQ conflicts.

 CK> and then we sit and wait forever......
 Hmmmm. sounds like a IRQ or IO conflict to me.
 Have you removed the card to see if that is the conflict?

 CK> (of course the machine without a soundcard does not print the
 CK> message about the PAS)
 Have you tried to recompile your kernel, w/o soundcard support?
 then do a make disk and try from there?
 goodluck.

... Sincerely, Derek

Bootdisk made by SLS install hangs during boot

Post by John Hende » Wed, 15 Sep 1993 11:56:19

Quote:>And it's hard to recompile 0.99.12 from an 0.99.9 system (needs new gcc, which
>needs new libs, which need new kernel...), and even harder to recompile from a
>DOS system.

        I did it. It's not that hard because the gcc docs are wrong. If
you install new shared libs, then the compiler and include files, it
works fine.

--
John Henders       GO/MU/E d* -p+ c+++ l++ t- m--- s/++ g+ w+++ -x+

1. AdvanSys BootDisk or: What makes SL rootdisk so diff?

Hi all,

I have just got a testsystem here which sports the Advansys SCSI controller.
So I went off to http://www.advansys.com/ anf got myself the new BETA
driver.

But now I need to make a slackware bootdisk, so I can start installing to
the SCSI disk.

Problem: Any bootdisk I make can not mount the standard Slackware color144
rootdisk.

I read the bootdisk howto, and it says that rootdisks must be minix or
ext2, but oh shock: I cannot even mount the color144 rootdisk under
any other linux system, it does not contain a valid ext2, nor minix or
MSDOS.

Here are the messages I see when trying to mount the rootdisk after
starting with my bootdisk:

RAMDISK: 1474560 bytes, starting at 0x001e664c
VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER
VFS: Disk change detected on device 2/0
RAMDISK: trying old-style RAM image.
RAMDISK: trying old-style RAM image.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
[MS-DOS FS Rel 12,FAT 12,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
[me=0xcd,cs=7200,#f=182,fs=16304,fl=36968,ds=59808,de=20416,data=61128,se=51125
ts=1481117072,ls=31132]
Transaction block size = 512
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:1c

Here is how I made the bootdisk:

        a) compile a new kernel w/ Advansys driver
        b) physically copy an existing bootdisk (ascsint2):
                dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/b bs=18k
                <insert blank disk>
                dd of=/dev/fd0 if=/tmp/b bs=18k
        c) mount the disk
                mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
                cd /mnt
        d) copy the new kernel
                cp /usr/src/linuxelf*/arch/i3*/boot/vmlinuz .
        e) edit ./etc/lilo.conf
                (make it install to the floopy, use the
                ./boot/boot.b etc that are already there,
                write map to ./boot/map etc)
        f) lilo -C ./etc/lilo.conf
        g) unmount and use :-)

Any help is very much appreciated
regards
Mathias
--

2 Stirling Rd     |      or use key server:    pgp.singnet.com.sg
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself

2. Memory questions, Device questions; Remove LILO on RH6.2

3. New Redhat Linux 6.0 install hangs booting from bootdisk

4. Red Hat Zip CDROM What?

5. veteran and bootdisk disagree (SLS hangs on LI)

6. Disabling software flow control on the console

7. Boot hang during install... help...

8. how to dump the core

9. Network install hung during redhat install

10. Help making bootdisk for install

11. No Bootdisk, No LILO during install... what's going on here?

12. Making a initrd bootdisk for full HD install

13. booting DOS doesn't work after Boot SLS installed