newbie SCSI Jaz drive question

Post by Marti » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I purchased SuSE Linux 6.2 a couple of days ago. I have two EIDE hard drives
in my Dell Dimension XPS Pentium Pro 200Mhz PC. I installed Linux on a 4Gb
partition on my second hard drive. Incidently I now have a triple-boot
system (Windows98, BeOS and Linux6.2). I used the boot loader of BeOS.
Booting works fine.

However I have an AdvanSCSI card connected to a 1Gb Jaz removable hard
drive. I installed the IDE kernel. What must I do to get Linux to recognise
and read from my Jaz drive? My Jaz drive is connected to a SCSI card.

Martin Mamo

Please remove the nospam from my email address before replying

newbie SCSI Jaz drive question

Post by Samuel A Mull » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Martin,

You will have to recompile your kernel with the appropriate SCSI card.  Once
you get your kernel recompiled (see kernel-HOWTO) make a directory in the
root directory (/) with the name of the mount point that you want.  (I use /jaz)
After that you type the following to mount the drive
mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /jaz
THis is assuming that you have made an ext2 file system on the Jaz disk.

On second thought, I think there is a HOWTO on this.  Better read that instead
of listening to me.

Sam

: I purchased SuSE Linux 6.2 a couple of days ago. I have two EIDE hard drives
: in my Dell Dimension XPS Pentium Pro 200Mhz PC. I installed Linux on a 4Gb
: partition on my second hard drive. Incidently I now have a triple-boot
: system (Windows98, BeOS and Linux6.2). I used the boot loader of BeOS.
: Booting works fine.

: However I have an AdvanSCSI card connected to a 1Gb Jaz removable hard
: drive. I installed the IDE kernel. What must I do to get Linux to recognise
: and read from my Jaz drive? My Jaz drive is connected to a SCSI card.

: Martin Mamo

: Please remove the nospam from my email address before replying

1. Jaz drive / PCMCIA Jaz SCSI card???

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT that I multi-boot Linux RedHat-5.0,
Win95, and Solaris 2.6 x86.  I want to use my external SCSI Jaz drive
with a PCMCIA Fast SCSI II Iomega SCSI card (which shows up in 95 and linux
as an Adaptec 1522 card.)

I've tried reconfiguring - scanning for all devices, scanning for specific
devices, and even adding it as an unknown device using the I/O and IRQ
from 95.

First - is the Jaz drive supported in x86 (with a PCMCIA SCSI card)
and how do I tell Solaris I have one?

Thanks,

Bob

2. booting remotely / PPP

3. Jaz drive and Jaz Jet SCSI PCI card -- is it supported?

4. Linker Problems

5. /etc/defaultrouter

6. Jaz Drive, Jaz Jet PCI Host Adapter, SCO UNix 5.0.4, PCI/SCSI

7. DLink Network Adapters

8. Jaz Jet PCI for SuSE 6.2: can't see Jaz nor SCSI CD-ROM

9. Jaz and Jaz pcmcia-SCSI card

10. Jaz Jet SCSI, 2Gb Jaz internal, RH 6.0 doesn't see.

11. Jaz drive help for linux newbie

12. YA newbie question: mounting SCSI CD-ROM drives