Installing RH 7.1 with Win Me -- questions

Installing RH 7.1 with Win Me -- questions

Post by F Brow » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 06:05:05

I'm fearfully about to install Red Hat 7.1 on a machine running Windows Me.

1. Is it safe to install LILO on the Master Boot Record?

2. I'm thinking of using BootMagic, and putting LILO in the main Linux
    partition. I don't think I'm smart enough to do a custom installation.
    Is there a way to do a workstation-installation and still steer LILO
    away from the MBR?

Appreciative of any help...

FM Brown

Installing RH 7.1 with Win Me -- questions

Post by Fabiana Godinh » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:30:14

when installing select the custom installation, choose the apps. you want.
you will get to a screen where you can select if you want to install LILO or
not.  Choose not to install LILO but make a boot disk.  (this option is on
the same screen I believe.)
you will then use the floppy as a boot disk for linux.  If you leave the
floppy out your windows will boot.

bottom-line.............your MBR isn't changed!!!

Quote:> I'm fearfully about to install Red Hat 7.1 on a machine running Windows
Me.

> 1. Is it safe to install LILO on the Master Boot Record?

> 2. I'm thinking of using BootMagic, and putting LILO in the main Linux
>     partition. I don't think I'm smart enough to do a custom installation.
>     Is there a way to do a workstation-installation and still steer LILO
>     away from the MBR?

> Appreciative of any help...

> FM Brown

1. CD install hangs for RH 7.1 but works fine for RH 7.0 -- why?

Here is another RH install-related question.

1. I have two 'older' PC's (Pen 133's) ('95-'96).

2. I can install RH 7.0 without a single hickup -- all works just fine.

3. I cannot install RH 7.1 as a 'clean' install on either of them.

4. The systems always hang while installing the package's I've selected from
the CD.

5. I have three different sets of CD's for RH 7.1 -- two from RH and 1 from
a book.

6. The results are the same with any set on either machine.

7. Using the same CD's I can 'upgrade' one PC from 7.0 to 7.1,

    running in 'update' mode.

8. But I cannot 'update' the other PC.

9. Redhat support told me to upgrade my CD-ROM drive.

10. I have tried several (IDE and SCSI) in those machines -- always with the
same result.

11. I have two newer machines on which RH 7.1 works like a charm.

Thanks again.

James

2. Unable to compile kernel

3. installing snort on a FRESH install of RH 7.1 Seawolf

4. Vfat fs support setup

5. Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

6. getting file age from shellscript.

7. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

8. How to read files from a floppy

9. Anon FTP won't allow upload - RH 7.1

10. WP Office 2000 won';t run with rh 7.1

11. Win ME + RH 7.1 partition weirdness

12. rh 7.1 won't shutdown properly

13. Netscape Messenger sharing for Win 98 and RH 7.1 Linux