Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

Post by peter_pilg.. » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
to the other computer?

What software do I need to make this work using
 the serial port or parallel port?

Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
cards ?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Peter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

Post by Koen Verbek » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
> What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
> to the other computer?

> What software do I need to make this work using
>  the serial port or parallel port?

> Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
> cards ?

> Any help appreciated

A very easy solution is using plip, the null modem cable version of
ppp. TCP/IP over your parallel ports. You'll need a kernel on both sides
with plip compiled in it or as a module. (in either case you'll probably
have to recompile).

For more in info, see the nag at www.linux.doc.

Success,
        - Koen

,---------------------------------------------,

|      http://home.freegates.be/koen-yalp     |
`---------------------------------------------'

Post by Simon Hig » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
>What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
>to the other computer?

>What software do I need to make this work using
> the serial port or parallel port?

For the parallel port, plip is very easy to configure using yast.
You will first need a 'Laplink' cable. If you want to make one, then
the wiring details can be found in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/plip.c
Then with yast, go to
system administration->network configuration->network base configuration
and set up plip.
Further parameters can be found under
system administration->Change configuration file
Restart networking using (as this is SuSE)
init 1
init 2
Then use ftp to transfer files.
Quote:

>Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
>cards ?

If you could scrounge a couple of cards, then transfers would be a lot faster.

Simon.

--
Simon Higgs

Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

Post by peter_pilg.. » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> >I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
> >What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
> >to the other computer?

> >What software do I need to make this work using
> > the serial port or parallel port?
> For the parallel port, plip is very easy to configure using yast.
> You will first need a 'Laplink' cable. If you want to make one, then
> the wiring details can be found in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/plip.c
> Then with yast, go to
> system administration->network configuration->network base
configuration
> and set up plip.
> Further parameters can be found under
> system administration->Change configuration file
> Restart networking using (as this is SuSE)
> init 1
> init 2
> Then use ftp to transfer files.

Thanks a lot. I presume you can get `laplink' cable from
PC World of Radio Shack, right? Actually I have SuSE 6.1
and will have SuSE 6.4 when I upgrade my laptop.
Basically I want to transfer the data across to my new
eventual Dell Inspiron machine.
I think I have PLIP compiled in the kernel of my current
machine, but I 'd have to check.

Quote:

> >Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
> >cards ?

> If you could scrounge a couple of cards, then transfers would be a lot
faster.

That might be too expensive. How fast is the PLIP comms
likely to be?

There might one other way to do it. I can possibly get
my hands on a old SyQuest EZ-250 Zip Drive. It is basically
is now a matter of convenience, speed, and recompiling the
kernel(s) to do what I want.

Cheers Pal
Peter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

Post by Nicholas Clar » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

PLIP is a royal pain to set up. I've never successfully set up my PPP
link, despite haivng the right cable, and the fact that everything loads
properly, and _seems_ like it works, but doesn't. I wish somebody would
write an up-to-date PLIP howto that's helpful w/Slack

--
-Nick
Fear is the path to the spoon side of the spork.

Post by Raj Rijhwa » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
> > What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
> > to the other computer?
> > What software do I need to make this work using
> >  the serial port or parallel port?
> > Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
> > cards ?
> A very easy solution is using plip, the null modem cable version of
> ppp. TCP/IP over your parallel ports. You'll need a kernel on both sides

Parallel port back-to-back, yes.  TCP/IP, yes.  Null modem, no.
PPP, no.

You could run ppp over the SERIAL ports with a mull modem cable, but
the cable requirement for PLIP is entirely different from a null modem
cable.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...

http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk/raj/ (demon, and gods, willing...)

Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

Post by Raj Rijhwa » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks a lot. I presume you can get `laplink' cable from
> PC World of Radio Shack, right? Actually I have SuSE 6.1

Purchasing one is far more reasonable than trying to make one
for most people.  (I've made a few in my time, because I happened
to have the makings when I needed them, but it's not recommended
to anyone who's not at least competent with a soldering iron.
Those 25-pin plugs get awful crowded awful fast.)  And whilst
I wouldn't ordinarily recommend one of your average box-shifting
retailers, for this sort of thing yes, they should be able to
oblige.  On the other hand, if you have an independent retail
supplier nearby, they too should carry that sort of stock and
supporting the little local guy is always a good idea so that
they're still in business when you need them.

Quote:> Basically I want to transfer the data across to my new
> eventual Dell Inspiron machine.
> I think I have PLIP compiled in the kernel of my current
> machine, but I 'd have to check.
> How fast is the PLIP comms likely to be?

It's none too shabby.  Certainly good enough for a one-off...  If
you're going to have regular back-to-back sessions then you should
give getting a couple of cheap PCMCIA cards serious consideration.
--

Post by kins.. » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> PLIP is a royal pain to set up. I've never successfully set up my PPP
> link, despite haivng the right cable, and the fact that everything loads
> properly, and _seems_ like it works, but doesn't. I wish somebody would
> write an up-to-date PLIP howto that's helpful w/Slack

Have a look at http://hfwork3.tn.tudelft.nl/kinsler/kinsler/linux/script/Plip

(yes, that _is_ kinsler/kinsler)

This is the script I use to take my plip links up and down on
my slackware system(s), and it works fine for me.  When PLIP
doesn't work, what error messages are you getting?

#Paul

Post by William Pa » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
: What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
: to the other computer?

: What software do I need to make this work using
:  the serial port or parallel port?

: Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
: cards ?

: Any help appreciated

: Cheers
: Peter

If you already have ethernet cards, then use that.  If not, then use PLIP
via "Laplink" parallel-to-parallel cable.

--William
--

Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

Post by Nicholas Tomli » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There is a good book from Sybex called 'complete linux', isbn
0-7821-2567-0
which has a cable diagram for parallel printer port connections for fast
data transfer, if you can lay your hands on a ready made cable you wont
have to solder one up as I would - good luck

> I have two laptops both of them with SuSE Linux.
> What is the best way to transfer data from one computer
> to the other computer?

> What software do I need to make this work using
>  the serial port or parallel port?

> Or is it better to borrow / scrounge 2 PCMCIA ethercards
> cards ?

> Any help appreciated

> Cheers
> Peter

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Linux Laptop config database?? Linux Laptop NG?

Does a database of Linux configuration settings for laptops exist?  If so
where?  I have found pages dealing specifically with running Linux on the
IBM Thinkpad family and NEC Versa laptops, and I'd like to see more.

I'm really interested in running xwin on a subnote.  But which one to buy?
Any suggestions?  Are there Linux Laptop newsgroups?

TIA
J. Vitosky

2. vgetty modem compatibility

3. Laptop to laptop

4. Where is this newsgroup ARCHIVED?

5. problem install redhat in my laptop gateway 9550 (laptop won't boot from CD)

6. Logging kBytes transferred though ports?

7. The answer to your laptop questions....Sun's first ever laptop!

9. laptop<->beamer : refresh frequency and svideo-out on my laptop

10. [laptop] Getting the network up on my laptop...

11. ping finds server from laptop, but not laptop from server!

12. install LinuxFT2.0 on laptop (no CD drive for laptop)?