Why doesn't reboot do a 'swapoff -a' ????

Why doesn't reboot do a 'swapoff -a' ????

Post by Scott D. Heavn » Fri, 07 May 1993 10:08:19

        I finally set up a swap file last week as X was
starting to really really bog down when I approached then
16M mark.  It's a swapfile on an xiafs partition which is
fast enough for me (I only want it for "emergencies"), but
when I reboot, shutdown, whatever, the swap file doesn't
get swapoff'ed.  This is no big deal and should be pretty
easy to fix, but it's rather annoying because it won't
let the kernel unmount the partition before the computer
goes down and somehow it messed up the next partition on
my hd.

        I have 4 linux partitions, but the ones which give
me trouble are hda5 and hda6 which are in the exteneded
partition hda4.  5 is the xiafs partiton with the swapfile and
6 is a minix -n30 system.  If I don't do the swapoff
before the reboot, it overwrites the partition info for
hda6 with 00's.  THe partition is OK, all I have to do is
re -  fdisk the disk and it comes back -- fsck reports
everything is A-OK.

                        Scott
--
HELP! I'm being held prisoner in a .sig file factory.

Why doesn't reboot do a 'swapoff -a' ????

Post by Hansruedi He » Fri, 07 May 1993 11:15:31

The MouseMan, like other PS/2 compatible mice, works fine
under XFree86-1.2 if you use the device on major 10 minor 1
(whatever its current politically correct name is)
and the following Xconfig entry:

PS/2 "/dev/whatever-you-called-it"

No 'mconv' is needed anymore and all 3 buttons are supported.

Thanks to all who helped me.

Why doesn't reboot do a 'swapoff -a' ????

Post by Jimmy Hua » Sat, 08 May 1993 02:10:49

i dunno if this is the answer to your problems.  But, a while back,
the fdisk that was distributed in SLS and who knows where else,
didn't do partitions exactly right. They had them overlapping for some
strange reason.  Everything goes fine, until you hit that last 164KB
or somewhere around that area.

Also, I didn't know you had to unmount the swap to reboot..., why would
you need to do that??? i mean, i don't umount anything, i just type,
sync;sync;sync   wait for all the commotion to stop, and hit power switch.

Jimmy

Quote:>                    Scott

Post by Ruediger Hels » Mon, 10 May 1993 20:32:57

|>   I have 4 linux partitions, but the ones which give
|> me trouble are hda5 and hda6 which are in the exteneded
|> partition hda4.  5 is the xiafs partiton with the swapfile and
|> 6 is a minix -n30 system.  If I don't do the swapoff
|> before the reboot, it overwrites the partition info for
|> hda6 with 00's.  THe partition is OK, all I have to do is
|> re -  fdisk the disk and it comes back -- fsck reports
|> everything is A-OK.
|>

|>                   Scott
|> --
|> HELP! I'm being held prisoner in a .sig file factory.

Note that for every extended partition (i.e. from partition 5 upwards) the block
before the first block of the partition must be free, which means that in front
of every partition must be at least one unused block. Yes, fdisk is broken.
And it allocates only whole cylinders, so there must be one unused cylinder
between extended partitions.

Best regards,